İşbank, Ziraatbank, or Garantibank?

All to do with money - Banks, Insurance, Savings, Exchange Rates...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Mika
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

İşbank, Ziraatbank, or Garantibank?

•   Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Mika »

Hi there,

We are searching for a professional bank for my girlfriend. It should offer an IBAN, low fees, a stable and good mobile application and proper expat service. Furthermore accounts in Sterling, Dollar, Euro and precious metals (gold/silver)

As the local banks do not offer an IBAN (we currently use capital bank), I guess the above mentioned Turkish banks are the best option. (Can somebody confirm that Turkish banks offer an IBAN for local customers?)

Do you have any experience with these banks?

We live in the Lapta region and plan to open an account soon.

Thanks and best regards,
Michael

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: İşbank, Ziraatbank, or Garantibank?

•   Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

Based on personal experience I wouldn't recommend Garanti. I had to use them for my salary account, I found it difficult to communicate with them and thought their banking app was not that easy to navigate. When I requested that they didn't take money from my salary account each month and put it into my savings account as I couldn't afford this they told me the only way to prevent it was to close my account. I also found that my debit card would only work from time to time online they could find no reason for this so I gave up using it online!

In the end I closed my account when I left my job.

Many years ago again a salary account I had to use Ziraat, I didn't use the banking app but I did queue up in town with what felt like 100 soldiers as they have priority at the bank so I waited hrs to close my account to be told I had to close it at the branch it was opened.

I've also banked with IKtisat who I found efficient.

I've had so many banks as when you're employed you have to bank with whichever bank your employer is with. I worked at a university who changed their bank every few semesters 😞

Take a look at TEB bank, I made enquiries with them and they were most efficient.

poppy++1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Post by poppy++1 »

Credit west is efficient with excellent customer service staff speaking fluent English.
Bit busy with university across the road in Catalkoy there are other branches available so maybe less busy depending on your location.
Down side of TEB only one branch at the top of town near Wednesday market, they are slow to serve often wait a long time.

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Reyntj »

No trnc banks have a direct transfer method . But the transactions go via turkey and then get sent to the branch in trnc .

I've had problems using the local banks to send payments . I've used garanti for IBAN never had a problem. I think the problem with the local banks on transfers is they don't have a nominated intermediary in turkey and sometimes payments get lost and charges can be higher and unknown !

If you are sending regular IBAN payments you might want to check Turkish bank who have relatively cheap payments as they have UK branch. Apparently and surprisingly the cheapest way to send payment is by western union you can search on here for that others have already posted .

Garanti bank offers all you need . But for speaking to them and customer services they are very busy .

I'd say beware the ones with expat services they are laid on for a reason to Attract customers because they are not as big as the likes of garanti.

I read the protection amount is now only 200000 tl if a bank goes bust.

poppy++1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Post by poppy++1 »

Transfer from UK to TEB within two hours IBAN number. Charges are to UK Bank
TEB parent bank is BNP Paribas ranked top bank in the European Union and an ...
BNP Paribas worldwide
Last edited by poppy++1 on Sat 06 Jan 2024 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ljarvo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Post by ljarvo »

Garanti has been very good

They have international IBAN and part of the BBVA group

I am not living in North Cyprus now but still have full control over accounts via the App

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

ljarvo wrote:
Tue 12 Dec 2023 9:38 am
Garanti has been very good

They have international IBAN and part of the BBVA group

I am not living in North Cyprus now but still have full control over accounts via the App

Good to hear, I just didn't like it but everyone is different!

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

https://www.turkishbank.com/

We have banked with Turkish Bank since 2000 and have had no problems ever!!! They have a branch in London

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

https://ziraatbank.co.uk/

Noticed that usefully, they have branches in many countries and in particular London as well as here, useful for money transfers.

Return to “FINANCE - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”