Popadoms Indian Restaurant - Opening Friday 28th July

Had a great meal in North Cyprus? Let other members know. Find out where the best restaurants are or what best to order when visiting.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Popadoms Indian
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Popadoms Indian Restaurant - Opening Friday 28th July

•   Message 1 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Popadoms Indian »

We are thrilled to announce the grand opening of our Indian restaurant on Friday 28th July 2023.

We invite you to Savour exclusive rich flavours of authentic British-style Indian cuisine including Tandoori Chicken , Sheekh Kebabs, Chicken Tikka Masala , Korma , Jalfrezi , Keema Naans and a selection of familiar starters and main dishes served with soft and fluffy Naan Breads not found here.

Our mission is to provide tasty mouth watering Indian Dishes similar to the UK in a brand new warm and inviting environment where customers can enjoy our diverse menu, crafted with the finest ingredients by our skilled chefs where Customer satisfaction is our main priority and whether you’re a connoisseur of Indian food or you’re trying it for the first time, we hope you’ll enjoy your experience at Popadoms Indian !!!

Restaurant opens - 5.30pm to 10.30pm Tuesday to Sunday and completely closed on Mondays.
Full Buffet available - 12.30pm to 3.30pm every day except Friday
Takeaway available and Delivery service to start soon.

Location : Carsi Selvi Plaza , Ugur Mumcu Caddessi , Ozankoy ( same parade as Busy Bees and Tims Cafe )

Email: [email protected]
Tel : 0548 881 4321
Tel : 0548 882 4321
Inside 3.JPG
Outside 3.JPG
washroom 1.JPG
Inside 2.JPG
Last edited by Popadoms Indian on Tue 22 Aug 2023 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Popadoms Indian Restaurant - Opening Friday 28th July

•   Message 2 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Unlicenced Ive been told.

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 123 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

[Unlicenced Ive been told./quote]

Matter of time , they will get one. :+1:)

Walesforever
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Walesforever »

Looks great but we will stick to the licensed Indians . Hopefully you can change your licensing in the future to get business like ours. Best of luck though.

laptawrinkly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 123 in Discussion

Post by laptawrinkly »

Good news. Driven past and it never seemed to progress. Always willing to try a new place, might get some of the others to pull their socks up and change the menus that have been the same for Millenia (:Z) !

Those unit are very small inside and I see they have a small outside eating area, one of those that needs booking perhaps?

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 123 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

Looking forward to trying it soon. If its not licensed, maybe take your own alcohol, just like some in UK. No problem, and cheaper of course. It looks really well done, and clean. Wish them the very best of luck and hopefully set a new standard.

gates
Business contributing to forum
Business contributing to forum

•   Message 7 of 123 in Discussion

Post by gates »

Its better if you can take your own drinks in . Much cheaper

Walesforever
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Walesforever »

No mention you can take your own alcohol.

I fear a Very limited customer base without alcohol ( after the initial newness wears off)

susiesusie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 123 in Discussion

Post by susiesusie »

Would much prefer to bring my own drink anyway. Better for the venue I guess as they don't have to pay extortionate money for a license . Would encourage me to experiment with the various dishes without costing a fortune .

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

I visit a restaurant which is also not licensed, It suits me fine, they dont charge corkage, they are happy to provide glasses and Ice if you want it. The fact that Popadoms is less than 5 minutes walk from our place its a yes from me. We spoke wi the owner last month, he said he has visited all the Indian restaurants on the Island and says he will beat them hands down, lets see?

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Cannot take your own drinks either for religious reasons no alcohol

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 123 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

Deniz1 wrote:
Tue 25 Jul 2023 2:13 pm
Cannot take your own drinks either for religious reasons no alcohol
That's us out then...... can't see them lasting long if they impose religious reasons on potential customers.. Good luck with that.

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

Yep, thats me out too im afraid.

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 123 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

So in 3.2 Miles you have 6 Indian resteraunts India Garden -Khans -Popadoms -Courtyard - All Shaheen and double back for Rafters

susiesusie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 123 in Discussion

Post by susiesusie »

That's me out as well if I cannot get a beer at least.

Nc2016
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Nc2016 »

But aren’t they all actually Pakistani not Indian? I’m not even sure there is a genuine Indian restaurant in TRNC, correct me if I’m wrong.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 123 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

I guess this means you are all expecting it to fail then? Nobody will go there, nobody will order take away, is this because you can only enjoy any meal if you have an alcoholic drink to go with it? Does it come down to the good old British Breakfast that people who live here and tourists who visit just MUST have, because what is a British Breakfast without a good pint of beer to go with it or a bottle of wine to wash it down with???

I for one will be going to try the Curry, I don't need 5 pints of lager to go with it because I want to taste the food BUT I would be surprised if the owner has visited "all the Indian Restaurants on the Island" and can beat them all "Hands Down". I do hope they have visited Saffron Indian and will be delighted if they can beat that "Hands down" as it will save me a trip down to Pissouri every time I need a really good curry - lol.

We live in a Muslim country, please don't take offence that they will not serve you alcohol, because it is not part of their belief! Try the curry without the beer and wine first before you moan about it then if you still want you much need drink - get a take away and eat it at home - simple.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 123 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

Nc2016 wrote:
Tue 25 Jul 2023 3:59 pm
But aren’t they all actually Pakistani not Indian? I’m not even sure there is a genuine Indian restaurant in TRNC, correct me if I’m wrong.
I might be wrong but I think Royal Rafters proprieters ar Indian

techtrader
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 123 in Discussion

Post by techtrader »

waddo wrote:
Tue 25 Jul 2023 4:16 pm
We live in a Muslim country, please don't take offence that they will not serve you alcohol, because it is not part of their belief!

Fine but are we offered the reciprocal respect back in the UK?
and... we live here in Cyprus which is hardly run by Sharia law!

With regards to the new restaurant I guess they can do what they want and I have no issue with that, let's see how it goes.

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

waddo wrote:
Tue 25 Jul 2023 4:16 pm
I guess this means you are all expecting it to fail then? Nobody will go there, nobody will order take away, is this because you can only enjoy any meal if you have an alcoholic drink to go with it? Does it come down to the good old British Breakfast that people who live here and tourists who visit just MUST have, because what is a British Breakfast without a good pint of beer to go with it or a bottle of wine to wash it down with???

I for one will be going to try the Curry, I don't need 5 pints of lager to go with it because I want to taste the food BUT I would be surprised if the owner has visited "all the Indian Restaurants on the Island" and can beat them all "Hands Down". I do hope they have visited Saffron Indian and will be delighted if they can beat that "Hands down" as it will save me a trip down to Pissouri every time I need a really good curry - lol.

We live in a Muslim country, please don't take offence that they will not serve you alcohol, because it is not part of their belief! Try the curry without the beer and wine first before you moan about it then if you still want you much need drink - get a take away and eat it at home - simple.
I find your post quite insulting, I have never had breakfast anywhere with alcohol! In addition, I cannot remember ever drinking 5 pints! When we do go out we enjoy a drink with a meal whether its and Indian (or the like) or any other restaurant, I am not going to sit there with a coke or the like, my choice, as you say there are plenty of others to choose from. And why dont you believe the owner, we spoke at length, he mentioned several that I know, he wants to know what the competition is, seems right to me. In addition, I dont expect him to fail at all, in fact I wish them well.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 21 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

I have booked in for the 28th July, and not having a beer with my Indian meal, I am sure I will be fine. Looking forward to an authentic (UK Style) Indian Meal in pleasant surroundings. As Waddo has stated: try a takeaway. I believe they do deliveries within 2 miles radius.

A lot of time an effort has been put into setting up the restaurant, 9 months in fact. The owners want to get it right first time, so do give them a try, then make your own minds up.

Good luck with the opening!
((W))
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 123 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

Soner wrote:
Tue 25 Jul 2023 5:46 pm
I have booked in for the 28th July, and not having a beer with my Indian meal, I am sure I will be fine. Looking forward to an authentic (UK Style) Indian Meal in pleasant surroundings. As Waddo has stated: try a takeaway. I believe they do deliveries within 2 miles radius.

A lot of time an effort has been put into setting up the restaurant, 9 months in fact. The owners want to get it right first time, so do give them a try, then make your own minds up.

Good luck with the opening!
((W))
I also wish them the best of luck, only point I would make is I come from an area of UK which is lovingly called Balti City or Balti Town. Often restaurants not licensed so take your own. Never come across one in uk where alcohol is banned from these restaurants but of course i have not visited every one... lol. It seems odd that on one hand British style Indian is offered, but no beer, Friday night ,curry night in uk with beer, and certainly not 5 pints I might add. But people will make their own choices, maybe great success as a takeaway for us beer and curry lovers.

ash2828
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 123 in Discussion

Post by ash2828 »

Interesting comments I must say, firstly I’ve yet to taste a bloody good indian to start with, after a few pints fish and chips taste like curry to many people. Secondly judging by the looks of this new restaurant’s toilets I would feel safe to eat there and not go for a tetanus jab after like all the other places here. I mean I don’t mind paying the money for a meal but please keep your place clean that doesn’t cost any money it’s free accept some cleaning products lol. I mean a lick of paint once a year is not too much to ask for. I have personally stopped going out to must curry houses here if you like that kind of places then good for you. We have to always go for second best on this island for virtually everything but not if it’s going to be a health hazard for me I am afraid. It seems like this new place has put a lot of effort and passion into this just look at the pictures on Facebook it says it all. My reservation is confirmed so let’s hope it meets my expectations. Enough from me. Will keep you guys posted (the ones that don’t need a drink) lol

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 123 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

ash2828 wrote:
Wed 26 Jul 2023 12:50 am
Interesting comments I must say, firstly I’ve yet to taste a bloody good indian to start with, after a few pints fish and chips taste like curry to many people. Secondly judging by the looks of this new restaurant’s toilets I would feel safe to eat there and not go for a tetanus jab after like all the other places here. I mean I don’t mind paying the money for a meal but please keep your place clean that doesn’t cost any money it’s free accept some cleaning products lol. I mean a lick of paint once a year is not too much to ask for. I have personally stopped going out to must curry houses here if you like that kind of places then good for you. We have to always go for second best on this island for virtually everything but not if it’s going to be a health hazard for me I am afraid. It seems like this new place has put a lot of effort and passion into this just look at the pictures on Facebook it says it all. My reservation is confirmed so let’s hope it meets my expectations. Enough from me. Will keep you guys posted (the ones that don’t need a drink) lol
ash2828, absolutely with you on that one, stopped going to 'Indian' restaurants here years ago for that very reason. There is only one 'Indian' style restaurant now that we go to, good food, clean toilets, and as far as we can see, clean kitchen......... Popadoms, looks extremely well presented and yes, clean. Look forward to trying the takeaway menu.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 123 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Soner, enjoy. We have visitors here till the 12th of August so it is take away for us but hope you enjoy it. Drop in after if you wish.

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 123 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

We are booked for 29th Saturday, don't need 5 pints either,

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 123 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

Takeaways available in a few weeks..... look forward to that

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 123 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

mrsgee, so no takeaway for "a few weeks"? Never mind have waited so long anyway a few more weeks won't hurt. Seems like my "5 pints" comment has been taken entirely the wrong way - hey ho.

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 123 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

waddo wrote:
Wed 26 Jul 2023 3:05 pm
mrsgee, so no takeaway for "a few weeks"? Never mind have waited so long anyway a few more weeks won't hurt. Seems like my "5 pints" comment has been taken entirely the wrong way - hey ho.
Yep straight from the horses mouth... so to speak. Yeah I can see how people could take offence at the 5 pints and beer with breakfast comments, but yeah hey ho, I am not offended.... makes no odds to me..... each to their own, without labels..... enjoy the takeaway in a few weeks as I am sure we will. Being atheists and totally respecting all religions, we accept and respect the decision. I will be a tad annoyed though, if the stance changes, which I truly hope it will not.

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 123 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

Seems like my "5 pints" comment has been taken entirely the wrong way - hey ho.
Not at all, after a re-read of all comments it would appear that folk agree with you. :+1:)

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 123 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

Would someone kind enough to post a menu once they've been? I have emailed them using the email in the first post but received no reply. My daughter is vegetarian, arriving this weekend and we'd like to see what's on offer.

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 32 of 123 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

come_on_aylin wrote:
Thu 27 Jul 2023 9:26 am
Would someone kind enough to post a menu once they've been? I have emailed them using the email in the first post but received no reply. My daughter is vegetarian, arriving this weekend and we'd like to see what's on offer.
You can contact them on their Facebook page. Not seen any menus on there, but they do respond quickly to messages.

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 123 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

You can contact them on their Facebook page. Not seen any menus on there, but they do respond quickly to messages.
Thanks, will try.

laptawrinkly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 34 of 123 in Discussion

Post by laptawrinkly »

I also wish them well. I hope my earlier comment about other curry houses pulling their socks up works.

Only one place we use now is India Garden (food quality), but after some unpleasant & embarrassing drunken 'ex-pats', who all ( i.e. the drinkers, not all ex-pats!) seem to gravitate to these 'Friday Night curries', we decided not to eat in anymore and only 'take-away'. Same said people also seem to think it is OK to clearly drink over the limit and then hop in the car to drive away home; no doubt same people bemoan the 'locals' drink-driving. Wouldn't do it in the UK - ok much more chance of getting caught than here admittedly. Hopefully no alcohol means less chance of encountering said DDs.

I also concur on the cleanliness of certain 'curry houses', especially looking in some of the kitchens ((W\)) (:()) - having said that those here long enough to remember some of the Turkish restaurants in tin-pan-alley, one in particular when you flushed the toilet (:()) , you'd better be wearing either sandals or wellies (:Z)

Nc2016
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 35 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Nc2016 »

Interesting. I too wish them well. Indian though? Not so sure. Probably more Pakistani truth be told. But billling themselves as such wouldn’t work. I don’t like the misrepresentation from that community.

As always, I stand to be corrected.

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 36 of 123 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

[Indian though? Not so sure. Probably more Pakistani truth be told. But billling themselves as such wouldn’t work. I don’t like the misrepresentation from that community./quote]

Thats like saying only the French can cook french food, and an english person cannot, e.g. Michel Albert Roux :+1:)

techtrader
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 37 of 123 in Discussion

Post by techtrader »

I am almost expecting a live feed from the restaurant.

People go so crazy about (yet another) (so-called) Indian restaurant, major yawn!

Gimme mince and stews from my old school dinners over curries any day or a new fish and chip shop would be good !!

Ooooh controversial , drop the mike (8))

ash2828
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 38 of 123 in Discussion

Post by ash2828 »

Mince and stews fish and chips are you sure. Rather you then me

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 39 of 123 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

Did anyone go last night?

rockpebbler
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 40 of 123 in Discussion

Post by rockpebbler »

We were the first customers yesterday, the restaurant is fitted a very high standard not your usual Indian decor, the food was very good and the owner was very attentive, the waiters were a little disorganised but this should improve when they are more familiar with what is required.
Will be going back again to give it another go.

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 41 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

Was the beer cold, did you have 5 pints? ((/))

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 42 of 123 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

rockpebbler wrote:
Sat 29 Jul 2023 9:08 am
We were the first customers yesterday, the restaurant is fitted a very high standard not your usual Indian decor, the food was very good and the owner was very attentive, the waiters were a little disorganised but this should improve when they are more familiar with what is required.
Will be going back again to give it another go.
What were the prices like?

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 43 of 123 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

Found their menu on the website, prices too.

https://popadomsindian.com/all-menu-items/

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 44 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

One of the best I have ever eaten in. Great surroundings, great food, clean toilets. Downed it with an Efes when I got home. Back very soon.
(8))
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 45 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

Nc2016 wrote:
Thu 27 Jul 2023 10:46 pm
Interesting. I too wish them well. Indian though? Not so sure. Probably more Pakistani truth be told. But billling themselves as such wouldn’t work. I don’t like the misrepresentation from that community.

As always, I stand to be corrected.
The owner is Blangladeshi and wife Indian, both from UK.

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 46 of 123 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

We went Saturday, excellent food and service. We are already looking forward to our next visit. Best restaurant by far .

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 47 of 123 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

"Restaurant opens 12pm to 11 pm Tuesday to Sunday with a break on Mondays.
Full Buffet - 12pm to 3pm every day
Takeaway and Delivery service."

We went on Saturday as well but in the afternoon. Tried phoning from around 11:00 through to 12:30 but no reply and one number either out of service or not available. Turned up in the hopes but sadly dashed as all closed up.

Went to India Garden instead as website shows open from 13:00 - that's wrong as well as they are not open till 17:00 now. Tried Royal Rafters on the way to another place but that also closed in the lunchtime/afternoons so ended up at The Courtyard around 13:20 - no problem there but keep in mind it shuts at 15:00 and opens again at 17:00 if you have your heart set on a curry it will be difficult to find a lunch time venu!

Thanks for the link to the Poppadoms Website with menu and prices, still waiting for a reply to an email I sent asking for this last week. Glad the food is good and will try it much later in the year when the weather moderates again and they have a confirmed "Takeaway" available.

Good Luck to Popadoms and wish them well!

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 48 of 123 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

Weird about India Garden they normally open around 4pm which of course won't help you at lunch time!

Rafters hasn't opened at lunch since Abbas was there.

Didn't know that about The Courtyard.

Guess it's too hot for a lunchtime curry 🙁

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 49 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

waddo wrote:
Sun 30 Jul 2023 8:09 am
"Restaurant opens 12pm to 11 pm Tuesday to Sunday with a break on Mondays.
Full Buffet - 12pm to 3pm every day
Takeaway and Delivery service."

We went on Saturday as well but in the afternoon. Tried phoning from around 11:00 through to 12:30 but no reply and one number either out of service or not available. Turned up in the hopes but sadly dashed as all closed up.

Went to India Garden instead as website shows open from 13:00 - that's wrong as well as they are not open till 17:00 now. Tried Royal Rafters on the way to another place but that also closed in the lunchtime/afternoons so ended up at The Courtyard around 13:20 - no problem there but keep in mind it shuts at 15:00 and opens again at 17:00 if you have your heart set on a curry it will be difficult to find a lunch time venu!

Thanks for the link to the Poppadoms Website with menu and prices, still waiting for a reply to an email I sent asking for this last week. Glad the food is good and will try it much later in the year when the weather moderates again and they have a confirmed "Takeaway" available.

Good Luck to Popadoms and wish them well!
I think they decided to delay lunch opening due to being unexpectedly too busy at very start, so have been oversretched.
Waddo, the restaurant has aircon, so eating in is comfortable.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 50 of 123 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Soner, I think there was a small sign on the door but we were forced past in the traffic so not a chance to read it - not their fault - we will get there one of these days!! Having four extra people tagging along with us as well it was just a case of "Get a curry - any curry - and get it now", damn tourists!!!

Glad they have a website as well as the Facebook page, makes it easier for old folks like me - lol.

Return to “RESTAURANTS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”