The fastest download speed ever in TRNC?

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

The fastest download speed ever in TRNC?

•   Message 1 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Tested in Alsancak Dec 29th 2016 at 15:55

jimm
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: The fastest download speed ever in TRNC?

•   Message 2 of 22 in Discussion

Post by jimm »

Keith is this just to Kyrenia or actual speed from the internet from the links to Turkey

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 3 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

It actually states the server used - 'Kyrenia'

It is the result of a speedtest from my location (Alsancak, as stated in the first post) to the Multimax server in Kyrenia.

As you are interested in connection speeds to Turkey, here is a test result from my location in Alsancak to a Vodafone server in Ankara:

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

I thought MM (as are the other internet providers in NC) is reliant on the line from Turkey so whilst you may be showing fast speed downloads from Kyrenia it actually depends on what is going into Kyrenia from Turkey.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 5 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Hector wrote:I thought MM (as are the other internet providers in NC) is reliant on the line from Turkey so whilst you may be showing fast speed downloads from Kyrenia it actually depends on what is going into Kyrenia from Turkey.
I don't think that you're wrong

kbasat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 22 in Discussion

Post by kbasat »

Hector wrote:I thought MM (as are the other internet providers in NC) is reliant on the line from Turkey so whilst you may be showing fast speed downloads from Kyrenia it actually depends on what is going into Kyrenia from Turkey.
as you have stated MM relies on a line from Turk Telekom in Turkey for outside connectivity, the same applies to ALL other providers in North Cyprus.

Keith's test above regardless is a GOOD indication of how much capacity a provider can supply to a customer at a given time, upto the point where ISP is no longer responsible or has no longer have any control over the line.

If you perform a speedtest to your ISP and lets say get 2Mbps line to their main servers, that means that IS the capacity they can provide you regardless of how good the outside line is.

The test above is a proof that MM network is robust enough in most places to provide speeds to customers that are comparable to that of Europe. If tomorrow Turk Telekom decides to upgrade their link to Cyprus, MM customers will start benefiting from that immediately, whereas most of competitors customers will not.

Kemal
( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°) Haters will see you walk on water and say it’s because you can’t swim. ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
-----
https://www.facebook.com/taskentdogaparki/

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

kbasat wrote:
If tomorrow Turk Telekom decides to upgrade their link to Cyprus, MM customers will start benefiting from that immediately, whereas most of competitors customers will not.

Kemal
Any possibility of that upgrade happening in the near future? One can but live in hope

SatelliteCyprus
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 8 of 22 in Discussion

Post by SatelliteCyprus »

Another (30 second snapshot) speed test, but this time to Maidenhead in the UK from the eXtend Broadband Network in Ozankoy. 'Proving' the robustness of the eXtend Network, which is much the same as 'most' of the other ISPs in Northern Cyprus.

These speed tests prove little else and are certainly 'not' an indication of the Internet speed that customers can expect to achieve from their ISP (say) 80% of the time. In my opinion, they confuse customers who do not fully understand the 'technical' aspects and 'may' 'falsely' raise the expectations of potential customers - they are little more than a 'marketing' tool that gives 'bragging' rights in the local bar, pub and/or restaurant - if you listen to that sort of thing ! They certainly do not offer 'any' reassurance to the customers who live in problem areas, or those customers who are getting 2Mbps, or less, at busy times on the network.

I doubt that Turk Telecom will consider expanding the capacity for just 'one' ISP in the TRNC (purely for 'their' benefit) and that if, and when, the bandwidth capacity 'is' expanded, that this will be for the benefit of 'all' ISPs - otherwise there would be little reason for Turk Telecom to embark on such an improvement programme. It is 'highly' unlikely that Turk Telecom will increase capacity on the back of demand from 'one' ISP, the demand would have to come from 'all' ISPs and other organisations. In any event, there 'may' be 'other' reasons why this 'may' not happen in the 'near' future.

That a TRNC ISP is paying for 'extra' bandwidth capacity in the 'hope' that this will happen, is a 'stretch' of the imagination, but if it were true, it would make that ISP 'expensive' compared to the competition and 'may' result in their customers 'thinking' that they are not getting what they are paying for.

Finally, the figures quoted 'seem' to suggest that 'internet' (to Turkey) speeds, when compared to 'local' speeds, 'only' provide a quarter of the internet bandwidth - customers 'may' also view this as "not getting what they are paying for"

In my opinion, all ISPs should quote speeds that are 'regularly' (80% of the time) achievable to the Internet (preferably to the UK), especially to customers who 'regularly' want to access web sites and services based in the UK - not 'try' to confuse 'them' with smoke and mirrors !

Happy New Year to everyone !

Lodger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Lodger »

Just noticed on Keith Caly's post that the speed tests were taken at 12:52 and 13:41.

What were the speeds between 19:00 and 22:00

It's easy to get these speeds at mid day what about peak times?

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 10 of 22 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Lodger wrote:What were the speeds between 19:00 and 22:00

It's easy to get these speeds at mid day what about peak times?
As you have asked, here is a historic speed test from my history of such that matches your criteria.
speettest.jpg

Lodger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Lodger »

I really hate to sound pedantic, but it seems strange that you had to look back to October before you could that speed.

Are keeping internet speeds your hobby ?

turtle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 22 in Discussion

Post by turtle »

When I saw the original post on this subject I thought then that this will probably do MM no favours at all.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 13 of 22 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Lodger wrote:I really hate to sound pedantic, but it seems strange that you had to look back to October before you could that speed.

Are keeping internet speeds your hobby ?
speedtest.net automatically keeps a history of tests you have run using that site. I simply took the most current test from that automatically created list of historic speedtest that matched the criteria you stipulated. That the most current that did so was back in October would indicate that I do not obsessively run such tests I would suggest.

I hate to sound pedantic but it seems strange, to me at least, that someone who's first post on this forum was to declare that they decide to go with Nethouse for their internet connection and laud their service, is so interested in the finer detail of speed tests conducted by those using MM as their ISP.

Lodger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Lodger »

My God "Erol" who ever you are?

I joined this forum to have a debate about things, but boy have you got a problem !!!

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 15 of 22 in Discussion

Post by erol »

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 22 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

Lodger,
Comparing the two speedtest "grabs", it looks as though the first one was from 10th December rather than 12th October.....

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 17 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

jofra wrote:Lodger,
Comparing the two speedtest "grabs", it looks as though the first one was from 10th December rather than 12th October.....
jofra, I see what you mean- the speedtest site uses 'American' date format, my two tests on Dec 29th are dated 12/29/2016

It looks as though lodger jumped to the wrong conclusion...

... and erol didn't spot it!

Still, no harm done.

When I started the thread, I only asked a question - I didn't imply that it meant anything other than what it was, i.e. a measure of the 'goodness' of the connection between my location and my ISP's server in Kyrenia at that particular moment in time, because we are all very well aware of the issues affecting our connectivity beyond that point!

Perhaps I was being naive in starting a thread on t'Internet and not expecting a minor war to break out!

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 22 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

Yeah; what do they say this time of year - "Peace on Earth, goodwill to all men" - unless the subject is internet speeds/ISPs or Brexit.....
Ah well, at least there are non-contentious subjects such as the "Cyprus Solution" talks and referendum.....

Navek
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Navek »

Tested in Esentepe...
received_10155082842576535.jpeg
A wee bit faster

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 20 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Now that is fast!

Hammerhead
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Hammerhead »

We have these speeds in ozankoy but and at night but still get rubbish after 7pm

Xtreme512
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Xtreme512 »

Keithcaley wrote:Tested in Alsancak Dec 29th 2016 at 15:55

No...

Sadly, this was before Multimax screwed over the Nicosia packages.
I Walk Alone

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”