MultiMax

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

AFC
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

MultiMax

•   Message 1 of 33 in Discussion

Post by AFC »

I've noticed my net has been absolutely fantastic over the past two days or so, been able to stream the football in FULL HD without buffering. Normally the SD buffer's and hardly runs well.

Mentioned this to a cynical friend who put this down to my account being due for renewal shortly!

So I thought I'd post the question here, are people generally finding are net speeds from multimax have been better the past couple of days?
Last edited by AFC on Sun 13 Aug 2017 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Re: MultiMax

•   Message 2 of 33 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Your friend is indeed very cynical.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 3 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

It takes all sorts!

AFC
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 33 in Discussion

Post by AFC »

guys/gals, c'mon are people finding their speeds have been much better over the last 72 hours or so?

Muzer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Muzer »

Today I turned on the tv for the first time in two weeks and no buffering at all. So working perfectly

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 6 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

I haven't had any issues at all with the internet/speed except for the times when I've had a message reporting TTNET problems.

What more do you want us to say?

In my experience, most problems are caused by something local to the individual subscriber - either a hardware issue such as a perished/intermittent downlead, or the inappropriate use of Wifi instead of a wired connection, local interference from neighbours, etc. etc. Of course, there will be times when the ISP'S network develops a fault, given the number of power cuts that we get, and then there's the issue of your receiver dish locking on to an incorrect hub either during or after after power cut...

It is extremely difficult for the average, non-technical end user to distinguish between any of these root causes, because if you're watching TV, then they all produce the same symptoms - i.e. 'buffering'

To suggest, on the basis of 'no knowledge' that your ISP is deliberately manipulating your Internet speed for nefarious purposes is as ludicrous as it is libellous.

AFC
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 33 in Discussion

Post by AFC »

Slower speeds or a bad ping rate will never affect basic internet usage, however issues arise when one begins to stream. A very easy way to test ping is to do a dos prompt ping test.

A ping test uses your internet connection to send out some packets of data to a specific address. These packets are then sent back to your computer. The test records the amount the time it took for the packets to reach the address, and whether or not any packets were lost in the process.

Streaming media, voice, video communications, and online gaming require more than just raw speed.

Over the last week or so, these speeds have dramatically improved. Normally it would take 140ms. At the moment these numbers are coming in at 50 or so, hence making streaming flawless. Over 90 and streaming becomes difficult.

Telstar
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Telstar »

It seems there needs to be a little bit more understanding of the use of DOS prompt commands and their uses using the PowerShell or command prompt both in accessories (or just type CMD in the run box). A ping test only gives a speed of a header and datagram from one specific 32bit IP address. To verify the source of the problem we can use a tracert -d then a space and the ip address which you want to know about and which you are trying to reach for perhaps streaming. It will test to 30 hops or metrics as they are known to pinpoint the ipaddress. Using a tracert -d -h(number of hops) + ip address instead should get you to the target IP. The speed is given at each point along the route of the packets. What you might find is that it has actually nothing to do with your ISP at all. If the value of the speed in milliseconds is below 10ms usually for the first 5 to 8 hops along the trace and then it suddenly drops to blanks (* * 152) in the packet checks and does this during the tracert after these initial hops, then its not your ISP, because by around 5 to 8 hops you will have cleared the local NATS and ISP in TRNC. Tracert is just one of the many commands to verify the circumstances of a problem. Just typing tracert will give you more ways you can use it in the PowerShell. To add to some streaming issues, the use of bandwidth management control based on the ISP package you have chosen will also affect your ability to stream efficiently or will limit your ability to download. Just imagine the bandwidth as water from a pipe. The bigger the pipe the more water can flow, if restricted by valve at source "control". Less water. Things such as maximum transmission unit size in your router or PC can in some circumstances when reduced enhance the streaming process.

I sent an email to all these addresses given by the ISP association with a request for a receipt when the mailboxes they were using were all saying they were full. Interesting to say the least. They had limited their mailboxes to take a specific limit, but the receipt system still sent back the "named" email addresses of those who were subjected to a request for a receipt.

jacob
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 33 in Discussion

Post by jacob »

Is the internet so bad that noone has any TV?.

Lodger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Lodger »

I have fantastic TV, but there again I don't use Multi Max.

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 33 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

MM is NOT a TV programme provider. Please, please accept this fact.
MM is an ISP service, as are other companies here.

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 33 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

tomsteel wrote:MM is NOT a TV programme provider. Please, please accept this fact.
The question posed by Jacob was "is the INTERNET so bad no one has TV"

Bert
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Bert »

I have MM and have used internet streaming for TV FOR a couple of years and in the while has been perfect

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 33 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

Maybe, but a poster, msg 10, stated TV and not using MM. Why?

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 15 of 33 in Discussion

Post by erol »

tomsteel wrote:Maybe, but a poster, msg 10, stated TV and not using MM. Why?
because they have an agenda (imo)

gates
Business contributing to forum

•   Message 16 of 33 in Discussion

Post by gates »

if MM does not want to supply us with TV connection then perhaps it is time we all looked else were and join up to another provider that would be ready to offer us this service dont think MM will be to pleased
Then again i posted this earlier and lost my connection lets see how this one goes

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 17 of 33 in Discussion

Post by erol »

gates wrote:if MM does not want to supply us with TV connection then perhaps it is time we all looked else were and join up to another provider that would be ready to offer us this service dont think MM will be to pleased
Do you know of an internet provider in the TRNC that offers such a 'TV connection' ? If you do , then please do tell us who it is and please also tell us if this is a 'TV connection' to UK TV content that should not be available here in Cyprus ?

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 33 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

Please Mods, stop this madness. MM is being castigated without real cause. If posters are unable, incapable or refuse to accept an ISP company does not supply a TV service, what can be done?

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 19 of 33 in Discussion

Post by erol »

tomsteel wrote:Please Mods, stop this madness. MM is being castigated without real cause. If posters are unable, incapable or refuse to accept an ISP company does not supply a TV service, what can be done?
There is no need to do anything Tom. If MM customers are not happy with us, be that for 'valid' reasons or not, we will not and do not hold them to a term contract, unlike other ISP do (not just here but pretty much everywhere) We will and do refund any monies paid up front (and yes there is a process for such refunds) what ever the reason or reasons are that has led to the customer not being happy. We try our best to explain openly and honestly exactly what it is we currently do sell and what it is we do not on forums such as these, again something that is not typical of other ISPs. You can not please all of the people all of the time and that is even more true with internet provision than generally. We strive to reach that goal knowing that we never will.

jimm
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 33 in Discussion

Post by jimm »

I have been with Multimax for a number of years and most of the problems are not their fault, come on people give them a break they are one of the best firms here.

Toftsv
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Toftsv »

I agree Jimm,

I have been with them for 2 years now and on the odd occasion there has been problems.
Overall I am happy with what this island can provide via multimax as another company I was with previous was rubbish.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 22 of 33 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

It's all about personal choice and of course no ISP is perfect.

However I believe that Multimax do try to be open and honest about what they can and cannot provide as a service. I also think that they (Often via Erol) try to offer explanations about service outages, what can and cannot be supplied and in the main offer much helpful advice.

At the end of the day the customer can make the choice.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

turtle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 33 in Discussion

Post by turtle »

I think Erol gave a full and honest assessment of the ISP and Internet issues in NC on a previous thread and for me that was enough to satisfy my doubts.
If you read threads on this subject you will find that other ISP’s also have a similar problem when people are expecting a better service to watch TV….My view is it is what is is….live with it.

Lodger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Lodger »

tomsteel wrote:MM is NOT a TV programme provider. Please, please accept this fact.

Oh !!! How does the TV programs come in then ???? Via Carrier Pigeons?

I know there not an IPTV but if their signal is not strong enough "YA GET NOWT"

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 33 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

Ask the provider for an explanation to your quandary, not complain about TV provision, for which it is not responsible for. There have been many explanations of the general supply problem from Turkey on this forum. Maybe a TV service provider not using internet might suit your need.

gates

•   Message 26 of 33 in Discussion

Post by gates »

I was replying to message 11 tomsteel if they was to loose all the people streaming TV there revenue would be very low . So i said why dont all the streamers look and see if there is a provider that would provide a service for us
Just think of the revenue that is being made buy TV
Are you Steel there Tom
I had turccel pahaps they would upgrade there dongle and give ample coverage for were ever you want to give us the same speed also the choise of using in both our houses at no extra cost
Would that be nice or just a dream ?

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 33 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

gates, I am now back. My limited IT background means I do rely on expert opinion offered by those who know. Several experts have stated on this forum the TRNC ISP providers ALL use a service provided from Turkey, for which they pay a commercial rate. Another expert requested the name of any ISP here which offers TV as part of their package. I have not seen any response as yet. I suspect no one does, as nice as that would be for some.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 28 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Gates - I think that I understand what you're getting at, but Turkcell & Telsim also get their portion of the Internet via the same route as everyone else, so although it would give you 'mobility', it wouldn't protect you against TTNET in Turkey!

It may be that the two Telekoms providers have a slightly more robust 'Distribution Network' (although I really have no information to say that they do, or they don't, except that during power cuts, my mobile 'phone seems to keep working) - so if that is the case, then it might improve the reliability of your Internet connection.

I do know people who already use a dongle to watch TV, but they have to be quite careful about how much they watch, as can be an expensive option if you don't keep track of your data usage...

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 33 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

Keithcaley wrote:Gates - I think that I understand what you're getting at, but Turkcell & Telsim also get their portion of the Internet via the same route as everyone else, so although it would give you 'mobility', it wouldn't protect you against TTNET in Turkey!...
I have been informed that ttnet own turkcell
if this is true, their dongles to 'holidaymakers' may slow down the system when in use, I would assume they get the first bite of the cake.
too many people on this small side of the rock wanting good internet speeds with only one way off TTNET.

13 years ago I did not moan I was just content for watching uk gold via digiturk , and even grateful using my landline to ring my parents, now I have seen what I can have , I want more! But it has not made me any happier in fact the internet has caused more work stress and even in down time more stress as I can't watch what I want when I want.
TRNC has moved on very quickly but its still catching up but when it does will it be better?

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 30 of 33 in Discussion

Post by erol »

gates wrote:I was replying to message 11 tomsteel if they was to loose all the people streaming TV there revenue would be very low . So i said why dont all the streamers look and see if there is a provider that would provide a service for us
Just think of the revenue that is being made buy TV
Are you Steel there Tom
I had turccel pahaps they would upgrade there dongle and give ample coverage for were ever you want to give us the same speed also the choise of using in both our houses at no extra cost
Would that be nice or just a dream ?
The mobile phone operators (turkcell and telsim) charge for internet usage over their mobile network based on the volume of data used. Your data usage in the month of July was around 130GB . At current rates such usage with Turkcell would have cost you between 550 TL (if you commit to 12 month term) to 740 TL (not committing to term contract). That is for the month. Even then you still would not be guaranteed that TV delivered over this internet connection would work without ever buffering.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 31 of 33 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

In the U.K. at present.

Staying at my Dads place in a village in Cambridgeshire. Dad is not a huge internet user and doesn't really worry about speeds etc. The village is not in the sticks.

Thought I would do a quick test....results are below. Test time 1900hrs.

Ping - 23ms to a server in Welwyn Garden City

Download - 1.89Mb

Upload - 0.39Mb

In the grand scheme of things North Cyprus is well served. Stop moaning.

helendj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 32 of 33 in Discussion

Post by helendj »

Lodger, I've sent you a PM

Lodger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer