Which Free Antivirus ?

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

tingtang
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Which Free Antivirus ?

•   Message 1 of 5 in Discussion

Post by tingtang »

I used the AVG free Antivirus but have had to ditch it as it caused annoying problems with my 'Firefox;' web browser which I prefer to keep.

I don't need high level security so would ask are there any recommendations for a basic but effective firewall?

tt.
Work is the curse of the drinking classes.

Navek
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Which Free Antivirus ?

•   Message 2 of 5 in Discussion

Post by Navek »

Hi tingtang,
I use Avast (free), with Google Chrome on a Windows 10 PC, no problems.

Here are options that might suit you...

https://youtu.be/_U4scfVtyWs

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 5 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

Another Avast Free user, on XP, WIN 7 and WIN 10 - however, as mentioned in one or two mags, it does carry extra baggage, taking up room and (somewhat) affecting performance. You can (and it is advised that) after installation, modify it as follows (I have done!)
Click on Settings; click on Components; then the following items:
File Shield, Behaviour Shield. Mail Shield, Web Shield - leave as is.
Software Updater - click on small down arrow and Uninstall Component (not needed, most of your important software usually has an auto-update built in)
Browser Cleanup - useful but not vital - keep or uninstall component
Rescue Disk - useful but if you have antivirus, antispyware (eg SpywareBlaster free) and keep them updated, not vital
WiFi Inspector - if you have a firewall and you have changed your router's username and password - not necessary - uninstall component
Security Browser Extension - useful, recommend keep as is
Safe Price Browser Extension - perhaps useful, but it is monitoring (and reporting?) your activity - suggest uninstall component.
Either way, I've used it for a few years after dumping AVG, and had no problems.

Xtreme512
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 5 in Discussion

Post by Xtreme512 »

I already posted this on another thread, posting it again with editing...

As a user from bleepingcomputer forums and considering myself a bit of security enthusiast, if you are willing to spend some money, I recommend ESET or Kaspersky's complete solution. If you want a free solution, then Sophos Home or Avast Free. If you use W10 RS2 (Creator's Update) and you are a reasonably trained user, you can also use built-in Windows Defender Antivirus as it is much more advanced now.

If you go with free, other supplemental software must be; Malwarebytes anti-exploit free, Kaspersky's anti-ransomware for business free and uBlock Origin (add-on for chrome/firefox) (plus uMatrix add-on but if you are advanced). Yet, the most crucial thing is to train yourself about common security threats and be a conscious user.

If you plan to install Avast Free, just make sure that you make a custom install (like all other free apps there are some bloatware) it has some components/fancy extras that you don't want, for example mail shield, game mode, recovery component, browser extensions etc (do not install them, especially the extensions). I recommend Avast Free for free anti-virus because not only it's a good software but also has behavior shield and web shield (analyzes all internet traffic regardless from/to a browser and even has HTTPS support) that can work with uBlock Origin and block malicious connections that has malware.

Also, for standalone scanners, I recommend Malwarebytes anti-malware free (not premium trial), Sophos Clean for second opinions. Should be enough for most of the users.

edit: for advanced users, I recommend GlassWire to monitor Windows Firewall and get alert when an application wants to connect internet and block it permanently when needed. I already blocked some unnecessary apps which wanted internet connection.
edit2: DO NOT pirate security software!
edit3: uBlock Origin is the best of what it does in all aspects. It is basically an advertisement, malicious, social and tracking blocker (you can configure the way you want what to block). It really does wonders in websites, you can even block site elements, very good feature.

For advertisement haters, you can use Adguard DNS in your home router and have ad-free applications in your all devices that are connected to your router (e.g. mobile phones). You also get prevention from accessing malware included domains etc. The best way yet to block ads in home router is to use Pi-hole on a Raspberry Pi device serving as a DNS resolver, or adding static DNS domains in your router if it supports and is fast enough. But still, I doubt that it would be as powerful as uBlock Origin.
I Walk Alone

tingtang
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 5 in Discussion

Post by tingtang »

Grateful thanks to all three respondents - it's been a real master class and I;m certain that many other PC users here will have appreciated too.

As a customer of Barclays bank I do recall them offering Kapersky FOC to account holders but Barclays email support is never functioning , we have to phone UK and life is too short to go through all those button presses followed by music.

Avast certainly seems the way to go with a custom install, that's a great tip as we always seem to collect a great deal of unwanted baggage with 'free' progs but, in all fairness to the providers they need opportunities to make money in some way or other.

All the best,

tt.
Work is the curse of the drinking classes.

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”