Why is the internet worse at the weekend?

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

ozankoys
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Why is the internet worse at the weekend?

•   Message 1 of 18 in Discussion

Post by ozankoys »

Does anyone else suffer this? Internet is ok most of the week, not good on Saturdays & then, once again yesterday virtually no internet all afternoon & evening. This seems to be the regular weekend pattern.
This morning it seems fine again!
I know more people are at home using it but hardly any businesses are open so the two should balance out.
We are with Multimax who are usually very good when I phone up but I have never tried contacting them on a Sunday as it is not an emergency for me, just very frustrating.
Last edited by ozankoys on Mon 23 Oct 2017 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mimi2
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Why is the internet worse at the weekend?

•   Message 2 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Mimi2 »

In sufficient band width!

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 3 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

If you really want a meaningful answer, then you need to ring MMX at a time when you are experiencing this issue - I think that it is probably something local to your area, or even specific to your installation, because this is not what I experience at all

Next weekend, while the issue is present, do a speed test using the facility on the MMX website, and if you get less than 4 Mbps download, it's a FAULT ! - report it, there and then!

Let us know what happens...

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 18 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

You'll get a far better response at MM than was ever given. A change of personnel I suspect. Particularly from a young lady called Anna. She's very very helpful and will even show you on her PC screen on days and periods where you may be using more than you have paid for or other times when your system is really struggling. Its worth having a look and answered one or two queries i.e. 1 TV, 2 laptops, 1 Kindle and 2 wifi phones, all live at the same time!!!!

gary&shirley
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 18 in Discussion

Post by gary&shirley »

We get the same issue most weekends and as we are also in Ozankoy it could be a local issue, we also do not complain as the majority of time it is fine and is it really an emergency? I don't think so.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 6 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

I think that it must be a strange quirk of human nature that people take the time to come on here and complain about poor Internet - when we, the readers, can do nothing about it, and yet can't be bothered to report it to their ISP, who CAN do something about it, because it's 'Not about Emergency'

Bizarre...

jimm
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 18 in Discussion

Post by jimm »

Mine is also bad at weekends, I am in the Karsiyaka area, having done speed checks when it is happening it seems to be the same problem with TTNET and it is very intermittent one moment good the next poor

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 8 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

jimm wrote:Mine is also bad at weekends, I am in the Karsiyaka area, having done speed checks when it is happening it seems to be the same problem with TTNET and it is very intermittent one moment good the next poor
So Jimm,
Are you saying that you did the speed tests while you were having problems, and that the speedtest results showed that your connection to Multimax consistently exeeded 4 Mbps? - I'd so, then that would imply that the issue is indeed due to TTNET, or to some other factor outside of MMX's network.

However, if you're saying that your speedtests to the MMX server showed intermittently poor results, then you may have a fault on your system, such as a perished downlead, a tall tree, waving in the wind, between you and the base station, or some other factor...

If you think that sounds unlikely, I should mention that I'm now on my 4th downlead since coming here - the sun rots 'em, you know! - and I had to have 2 of the connectors replaced the other week, 'cos they had started going 'iffy', for no discernable reason...

jimm
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 18 in Discussion

Post by jimm »

Keith, that is exactly what I said in my post

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 10 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

jimm wrote:Keith, that is exactly what I said in my post
Which one?

'Consistently good tests to the MMX server' OR ' Intermittently poor'? Because if it's the second, then you've reached a false conclusion, and your problem has nothing to do with TTNET...

ozankoys
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 18 in Discussion

Post by ozankoys »

Of course you are right Keith I will have to check if their support lines are open on a Sunday as I had it in my head that they were not? I would not think ours is a physical issue as it is mostly ok in the week.
On reflection there are not actually many businesses in Ozankoy but there are a great many houses maybe it is purely a bandwith issue.
Thanks everyone for their replies

Muad_dib
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Muad_dib »

We suffer the same at weekends,during the week it's ok and every night we have 2 computers plus fire stick/3rd computer running at the same time.I just put it down high usage,perhaps i'm wrong and should phone MM.

jimm
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 18 in Discussion

Post by jimm »

Yes Keith speeds to Multimax are fine but speeds to Mersin in Turkey are poor so most of it is a TTNET problem

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 14 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Thanks for the clarification jimm!

gary&shirley
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 18 in Discussion

Post by gary&shirley »

Keith, for your information when we first arrived here I was constantly on the phone to Multimax complaining about poor speeds especially over the weekends, they were always very polite and whatever they did the speeds did improve each time but then the next weekend they would again slow down, at first we were very frustrated however a couple of years later we accept that there are issues with the connection to Turkey so don't bother to complain. I did not post on here to complain about the service we recieve just to say that living in Ozankoy we also get the weekend poor speed issue.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 16 of 18 in Discussion

Post by erol »

What Keith has already said is important so I will say it again.

Are you speeds ok to the MM speetest.net server but slow everywhere else ? If yes then the problem is almost certainly outside of MM's network and their direct control to resolve.

Are you speeds bad to the MM speedtest.net server as well as everywhere else ? If yes then the problem is almost certainly inside MM's network (or your own network in your house) and under MMs control to fix , or if it is inside your house, help you work out why so you can fix it.

This difference, between bad speeds to MM server and bad speeds elsewhere but ok on MM server really is key. I can not stress this enough.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

'The reason people report problems here is that not everyone has you superb self-confidence Keith and Erol, and they find comfort in sharing their problems with others.... Also it may highlight where a problem is regional.

For the record I too suffer poorer reception at weekends. I have not reported this to MM because I have not had time and it seems to be only TV reception when the VPN is connected and that is not so important to me so long as I can maintain internet contact with friends abroad and financial connection. I am reporting it here now as it does begin to look as if there may be a problem in Ozankoy. Perhaps it is worth bearing in mind that there has an awful lot of new building in the area, and now doubt they all have internet connections.

What I would really like to know is why the programme always starts buffering and eventually cuts out just at the vital point of the story and the hero or heroine is about the be shot, run over, stabbed or held at gunpoint ,,o lost in the Scottish Highlands., or tied to a bench with a circular saw approaching. Is this s***ds law, or weird perception or what?

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 18 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Ragged Robin wrote:...What I would really like to know is why the programme always starts buffering and eventually cuts out just at the vital point of the story...
Ah, an easy one to answer, at last!

It's known as either 'The Cussedness of Things' or alternatively 'The Animosity of Inanimate Objects'

Incidentally, I have noticed that when I am in the UK, and attempting to watch a popular programme at peak viewing time on, say, BBC iPlayer or ITV Hub, (using a fast BT connection) then I often experience exactly the same problem that has been reported on here.

My guess (and it is only a guess) is that the BBC/ITV websites become overloaded and runs out of bandwidth when millions of people, all over the World, are trying to watch the same programme - the 'weakest link in the chain' is not necessarily at this end...

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”