Router upgrade?

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

SussexBoy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Router upgrade?

•   Message 1 of 13 in Discussion

Post by SussexBoy »

Probably like many people, I can get a good Wi-Fi internet connection in the immediate vicinity of my router with no problems with emails, internet browsing, etc. However, upstairs the signal is exceptionally poor and at times non-existent, no doubt due to solid walls.

The router I have is the one originally supplied by Multimax i.e. a TP Link 150Mbps Wireless N Router, Model No. TL-WR740N with a single aerial.

MM do have other routers with triple aerials. Has anyone had experience changing to a triple aerial model and getting a much improved Wi-Fi signal in other rooms?

dogmeat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Router upgrade?

•   Message 2 of 13 in Discussion

Post by dogmeat »

I had the same problem with a basic Multimax router. You can buy a better router from Multimax but I chose to go to Laconic who advised me on various models.
Bought a 4 aerial router took it to Multimax for programming and it works fine with a far better range than previously.

Sorry cant give you the make I bought as am in uk at present

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 3 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

I recently replaced a faulty router with the '3 aerials' type (from Multimax) and any increase in range is marginal - certainly not worth changing your router for.

If you need WiFi coverage in a distant part of the house, then go for a pair of 'Powerline Adaptors' with WiFi - something like this, perhaps.

They are available in TRNC, although at somewhat greater cost!

SussexBoy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 13 in Discussion

Post by SussexBoy »

I think that Powerline Adaptors to work properly need to be plugged directly into a wall socket and not a trailing adaptor. Anyway, that's what the BT instructions state. Unfortunately, the stupid builders only put in single sockets into the villa and therefore I need to use adaptors. If I was living in the TRNC all the time, I would probably convert these sockets to doubles.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 5 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Yes, the instructions for all brands are the same...

However, I do have one that is plugged into a fairly long training adaptor which works fine, and one plugged into a conventional 3xWay 13 amp adaptor, and one plugged into one of those newer type adaptors Image (and a timeswitch!) together with the router and power supply for the Internet dish - and those all work fine.

There is another one that won't work on a trailing adaptor, and is plugged directly into a wall socket - it might be OK on a 3xWay adaptor, but I didn't have the room to try it, because it's behind a cabinet...

So, I think that the manufacturers are just playing a little on the safe side with their recommendations, & you would probably be OK using 2 or 3xWay adaptors on the wall sockets if you have the room...

You obviously wouldn't want to use anything that had 'Surge Protection' capacitors or coils built-in, as they would definitely filter out the internet signal!

SussexBoy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 13 in Discussion

Post by SussexBoy »

Thanks for your help Keith. May well bring one out in the Spring and try it out. Not a vast fortune if it does not work.

IPA
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 13 in Discussion

Post by IPA »

I have been using a Wireless Range Extender a D-Link DAP-1320 for my upstairs since the WiFi coverage was poor. Works well and easy to setup, Costs about 25 GBP UK. Seen similar ones for 35 Euro in Superhome Nicosia

IPA

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 8 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

IPA wrote:I have been using a Wireless Range Extender a D-Link DAP-1320 for my upstairs since the WiFi coverage was poor. Works well and easy to setup, Costs about 25 GBP UK. Seen similar ones for 35 Euro in Superhome Nicosia

IPA
Yes, that's certainly an alternative solution - could I ask whether you had much difficulty in locating the extender to get optimum results? - I've never actually used one myself.

Do you need to find a spot where it still receives a good strong signal from the router, but is almost within line of sight of the area that you want to cover? That would be practically impossible in my house, which is why I went for the Powerline adaptors...

SussexBoy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 13 in Discussion

Post by SussexBoy »

I have separate fuse boxes for downstairs and upstairs. Would this be a problem with a Powerline adaptor?

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 10 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

SussexBoy wrote:I have separate fuse boxes for downstairs and upstairs. Would this be a problem with a Powerline adaptor?
So Have I !

I only have one RCD 'trip switch', which is in the downstairs Consumer Unit (Fuse Box), and I think that arrangement is fairly standard, so there's probably nothing to prevent the powerline adaptors communicating across floor levels - at least, mine seem to manage it!

IPA
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 13 in Discussion

Post by IPA »

Back to the wire extender questions. I get 2 bars out of 5 connection signal when I configured the extender in the upstairs room, so no line of sight as has go through a wall. Optimum performance is extender connected on the inner side of the upstairs wall. Hope that makes sense. I find it really convenient to use.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 12 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Perfectly clear - thanks very much!

SussexBoy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 13 in Discussion