Multimax star again

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

susiesusie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Multimax star again

•   Message 1 of 22 in Discussion

Post by susiesusie »

Unfortunately for me I can not watch the footy due to download restrictions imposed. Am only getting less than 1.0 Yes it is my fault but what I found stomach churning is that they have now increased the charge significantly from January for the pleasure.
Any one know who can do better Bettee as enough is enough

tingtang
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Multimax star again

•   Message 2 of 22 in Discussion

Post by tingtang »

For those of us who do not use MM it would be helpful if you could explain - .....
a) why you have a 'Download restriction,?
b) what is 'your own fault,>
c) what do you pay and what should you get when you say Am only getting less than 1.0''. ?.....

....... then we can make comparisons with what service we get and advise if we can add anything useful.

tt.
Work is the curse of the drinking classes.

susiesusie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 22 in Discussion

Post by susiesusie »

Mm restrict you between 4pm to 12 midnight to 4mb in total . You go over that and it's your fault they then
Apply a 1mb cap .
It was 999 tl for a yearly subscription and now 1199 from I guess was January as it's on their site but not been messaged about it.! Which is odd as I keep getting messages from them blaming Turkish telecom for the down time . Maybe I should total up all the down time over the year and ask for a refund of that time !

Laura B
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Laura B »

As has been suggested many times on here, get in touch with SatelliteCyprus. If Paul can help you I am sure he will.

Jonnie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Jonnie »

It is traffic managed at peak time. This has never been a real issue for me. A few years back the only option was digiturk and poor internet speeds that you could not possibly stream on. I am thankful for improvements and think MM do a fantastic job under the circumstances.
Some are wise and some otherwise.....

mickhm
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 22 in Discussion

Post by mickhm »

The galling thing is once the restriction under their fair use policy was a max of 4gb download before being capped. This has now reduced to 2gb before capping. Obviously to get customers to upgrade to the platinum package.
As I got older I congratulated myself on my tolerance..... Now I realise I just don't give a "ooops"

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 22 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Traffic management is not really a problem for me either, as I generally download at non peak times and watch later.

The only time I do want to watch live is the rugby internationals/6 nations. I was quite surprised to see how much bandwidth I used for 1 game a couple of months back, was way over 2GB on BBC website, and there was another game on later that I wanted to watch too. One game came in at 2.3GB, the other 2.7GB. Luckily it was okay, and managed to watch the two games. However, it did make me very aware of how much bandwidth is used watching BBC live for rugby anyway. Streaming from other websites, did not use up so much bandwidth for other matches.

I suspect that SS was trying to watch the FA cup final on BBC 1 on Friday night. I suggest that you perhaps find another website showing BBC live to watch your football matches to see if that helps. Installing some kind of bandwidth meter to see how much bandwidth you use can be a real eye opener.

jimm
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 22 in Discussion

Post by jimm »

Try not to stream in HD, it uses too much bandwidth I always just stream in SD quality

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 9 of 22 in Discussion

Post by erol »

susiesusie wrote:It was 999 tl for a yearly subscription and now 1199
This price increase is after two years at the old price. In that time the value of the lira has fallen more than 20% relative to the value of the Euro. In Jan 2016 the equivalent price for the Gold package denominated in Euros was around 316 Euros (999tl / 3.16). In Jan 2018 the equivalent price in Euros is 264 Euros (1200tl / 4.55). The majority of MM cost base is denominated in Euros or USD either directly or indirectly. MM makes less profit on a Gold package today priced at 1200TL than it did in 2016 when it was priced at 999TL.
mickhm wrote:The galling thing is once the restriction under their fair use policy was a max of 4gb download before being capped. This has now reduced to 2gb before capping. Obviously to get customers to upgrade to the platinum package.
The traffic management policy for the Gold package is the same today as when it was first introduced and has not changed. It has always had two tiers the first tier being after 2GB of peak time usage and the second after a further 2GB of usage making a total of 4GB. There has been no change to this. MM has always been explicitly clear that if your usage involves more than 2-3 hours of peak time streaming video (or more than 30-60 mins of HD streaming) then the appropriate package for such use is the Platinum package.

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 22 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

Its a pity you cant get a platinum freedom package

davedee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 22 in Discussion

Post by davedee »

Its a pity you cant get a platinum freedom package Agreed

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 22 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

Whilst accepting the right of posters to express their views, it is becoming a real nausea to read of continued personal complaints against a company attempting to provide the best service it can with public explanations of the issues it experiences. If you are dissatisfied with the service you receive and the complaint procedure does not suit you, move to another provider and spare the rest of us please. I do realise I can ignore such posts!

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 13 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

I think that a lot of the complaints stem from a lack of understanding of how the system works, and from people (perhaps unwittingly) watching programmes in HD, as was touched upon in an earlier post.

Watching a programme in HD - 'High Definition' - may give you a picture which is twice as sharp as one in SD - 'Standard Definition' - but uses approximately FOUR times as much data as SD...

You can soon use up all of your data allowance doing that!

The 'double whammy' is that because it uses a lot more data in the same period of time, it requires a higher bandwidth, so it is also much more prone to interruption from 'Buffering' (while your box tries to collect enough data to carry on playing).

A lot of 'Apps' and 'add-ons' have a setting somewhere that allows you to chose 'SD' as the default, although some don't, so you really need to explore the settings on whatever it is that you are using to watch TV, and find out whether you can do something about it - and if not, perhaps think about changing the way that you obtain TV reception, either by using a different 'device' or by using different software.

If you are not of a mind to start fiddling with things yourself, you could always pay someone to do it - there have been several posts making recomendations on the forum - see the TV & satellite section.

The other thing to be aware of, is that 'Live TV' will always be more prone to interuption and buffering, partly for technical reasons, and partly because there are millions of other people all around the World, all logged in and trying to watch the same programme that you are - particularly if it's an important or popular event, and the programme provider's servers sometimes just cannot cope with the extra load!

As has been said, it's not so long ago that we could only watch TV by downloading a programme and watching it later, but since it has become feasible, the expectation is that it will be flawless, as Terrestrial TV reception in the UK used to be.

Having quite recently tried to watch TV via the internet in the UK, I can assure you that it is no better, and often worse than what we experience here...

Bullsnil
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Bullsnil »

I am sorry but I don't understand what is going on here. I paid my dues for my contract which is supposed to give me up to 20mbs. If what is being said here is that I am restricted to the amount of data I can use during the day, am I right in saying that? If so what is my limit.
I am on the platinum package.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 15 of 22 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Bullsnil wrote:I am sorry but I don't understand what is going on here. I paid my dues for my contract which is supposed to give me up to 20mbs. If what is being said here is that I am restricted to the amount of data I can use during the day, am I right in saying that? If so what is my limit.
I am on the platinum package.
MM has not sold or marketed its internet packages using 'up to' speeds for many years now. The reality is some of our customers can and do regularly achieve speeds in excess of 20mbs and others can not and do not, depending on many variables. The peak time usage based speed limits for the various MM packages can be seen here.

https://www.mmcyp.com/en/traffic-management.php

Bullsnil
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Bullsnil »

I am sorry Erol but I have been told by MM when phoning in with complaints that my contract only gives up to 20mbs and I have been told that regularly. What about restricted data do I only get a certain amount?

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 22 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Bullsnil wrote: What about restricted data do I only get a certain amount?
Did you look at the link that Erol posted? Basically between 4pm and midnight, on the Platinum package, the first 4GB of data has no speed limit. After that, the next 4GB of data will be restricted to 5 Mbps. Once you get to 8GB, your data will be restricted to 2 Mbps. Have a look at the link that Erol posted for further info.

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

I thought the restricted hours are now 4pm - 2am not just up to midnight.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 19 of 22 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Hector wrote:I thought the restricted hours are now 4pm - 2am not just up to midnight.
The hours in which we count usage remain the same 4pm - midnight. What did change was when we reset any speed limits if you have gone over a usage level tier between 4pm and midnight. We used to reset and clear such restrictions at midnight but now we do so at 2pm. The idea is to try and encourage people to shift their heavy downloading outside of the peak period. When the reset time was also midnight there really was no 'penalty' in just leaving heavy downloads running through peak periods. You would be slowed down but at midnight full speed was restored again. Now there is an incentive to not go over usage tiers in peak periods because then you get the two 'extra' hours between midnight and 2am at full speed , where as if you do go over this period between midnight and 2am is at the reduced speed.

It is all quite 'subtle' and I do hope that the above makes some sort of sense to some.

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

So, if I want to start downloading updates on my computer, say starting just after midnight before I go to bed and I haven't been a naughty boy and gone over my download limit that evening, between 4pm - midnight by perhaps having watched SD TV via MM's NTV most of that evening, then my download speed will be fast? Or will it start off slow, then at 2am speed up?

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 21 of 22 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Hector wrote:So, if I want to start downloading updates on my computer, say starting just after midnight before I go to bed and I haven't been a naughty boy and gone over my download limit that evening, between 4pm - midnight by perhaps having watched SD TV via MM's NTV most of that evening, then my download speed will be fast? Or will it start off slow, then at 2am speed up?
If you have not gone over you limits for the package you are on between 4pm and midnight and start heavy downloading at midnight, the downloads will be at your full maximum possible speed and that downloading will not count to any peak time usage limits.

It is not a case of 'being naughty'. It is because, unlike all other providers, we do not limit your speed at all when such usage does not impact other users (off peak times). If we were to limit your maximum speed to 4mbs all the time, then the impact you can have on other users in peak time is also limited to '4mbs worth' of impact. It is because we allow speeds to go as fast as possible most of the time, with some users able to get speeds of 40mbs and beyond and thus their impact on other users in peak times is 10 times higher than if we limited them to 4mbs all the time, that we have to consider that impact on others at peak times, especially those who because of location and other factors can not reach such speeds at any time. It is actually about fairness and encouraging most efficient usage of resource already paid for for all our users and not 'punishment' for being 'naughty'.

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”