Multimax access problem

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

ifonly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Multimax access problem

•   Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

Post by ifonly »

Despite having an internet connection and being able to access the internet and websites on our main PC and laptop - today we have been unable to access our home internet via our smart phones. The phones are not the issue as we can access a friends office wifi with no probs (different provider) but not our or our friends home Multimax connection.
I know they have been having problems today with power downs but they have said they can see the connected devices (incl the smart phones) but we cannot pick up the internet with them !
Any ideas ?

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Multimax access problem

•   Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Have you tried powering the phones down totally and then powering them back on again? Would do the same with your home router as well. Always worth a try in such situations. If this does not resolve the issue then private message me and Ill see what I can do to help you get this resolved.

jayceebee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

Post by jayceebee »

erol wrote:Have you tried powering the phones down totally and then powering them back on again? Would do the same with your home router as well. Always worth a try in such situations. If this does not resolve the issue then private message me and Ill see what I can do to help you get this resolved.
I have a similar problem accessing my home Multimax wifi internet connection on my HP laptop.
I have used it in UK to access various wifi connections without any problems but here is very hit and miss.
Can connect initially but then have to keep reconnecting, sometimes after only 30seconds!
Any suggestions? Is there some sort of incompatability issue between router and computer which can be sorted?

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

Post by erol »

jayceebee wrote:I have a similar problem accessing my home Multimax wifi internet connection on my HP laptop.
I have used it in UK to access various wifi connections without any problems but here is very hit and miss.
Can connect initially but then have to keep reconnecting, sometimes after only 30seconds!
Any suggestions? Is there some sort of incompatability issue between router and computer which can be sorted?
Diagnosing such issues remotely via a text fora such as this one is, to put it mildly, 'challenging'. Having said that here are my suggestions.

The first thing to establish is, is the issue specific to the wifi link between the wifi router (actually operating as a wifi access point rather than a 'router', if configured as per MM recommended set up) or not. To establish this I would test the laptop by linking it to the router with an Ethernet cable and ensuring that wifi is turned off on the laptop when doing this. If the problems go away when connected via cable then this establishes that the issue is specific to the wifi link between the router and the laptop. If the problems still occur when connected via cable then the issue is either with the router or somewhere 'past' that point (and MM problem and responsibility to fix). If the problems remain when wire connected then you could try testing with the removal of the router entirely and plug the mm ethernet cable that comes from the roof and normally goes in to the router, directly in to the laptop itself , thus eliminating the router entirely.

If the problems only manifest when wifi connected (and are not there when wire connected) then the most likely cause, based on your description above, would be some kind of wifi interference specific to your home location. It is impossible to be definitive about this with the info I have currently but it is the most likely cause. basically some other device or devices in or near to your location is causing 'pollution' of frequencies used by your wifi router that cause the connection to drop in and out and vary in performance. This could be things like video baby monitor or even a 'leaky' microwave oven.

Anyway I suggest your first need to establish if the problems happen only when wifi connected or not. Once we know the answer to that we can talk about where to go from there.

jayceebee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

Post by jayceebee »

erol wrote:
jayceebee wrote:I have a similar problem accessing my home Multimax wifi internet connection on my HP laptop.
Diagnosing such issues remotely via a text fora such as this one is, to put it mildly, 'challenging'. Having said that here are my suggestions.

The first thing to establish is, is the issue specific to the wifi link between the wifi router (actually operating as a wifi access point rather than a 'router', if configured as per MM recommended set up) or not. To establish this I would test the laptop by linking it to the router with an Ethernet cable and ensuring that wifi is turned off on the laptop when doing this. If the problems go away when connected via cable then this establishes that the issue is specific to the wifi link between the router and the laptop. If the problems still occur when connected via cable then the issue is either with the router or somewhere 'past' that point (and MM problem and responsibility to fix). If the problems remain when wire connected then you could try testing with the removal of the router entirely and plug the mm ethernet cable that comes from the roof and normally goes in to the router, directly in to the laptop itself , thus eliminating the router entirely.

If the problems only manifest when wifi connected (and are not there when wire connected) then the most likely cause, based on your description above, would be some kind of wifi interference specific to your home location. It is impossible to be definitive about this with the info I have currently but it is the most likely cause. basically some other device or devices in or near to your location is causing 'pollution' of frequencies used by your wifi router that cause the connection to drop in and out and vary in performance. This could be things like video baby monitor or even a 'leaky' microwave oven.

Anyway I suggest your first need to establish if the problems happen only when wifi connected or not. Once we know the answer to that we can talk about where to go from there.
Thanks....should have pointed out also...no problems connecting with old laptop.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

Post by erol »

jayceebee please private message me with you mm account name and ill give you a call tomorrow.

jayceebee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

Post by jayceebee »

erol wrote:jayceebee please private message me with you mm account name and ill give you a call tomorrow.
PM sent....many thanks

ifonly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

Post by ifonly »

Erol - thanks for the advise - did as you suggested with the router and phones - it worked. Thank you.

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”