Mobility Scooters

Need to know where to find an English speaking Dentist or Doctor in North Cyprus? Find out about members' medical experiences within the TRNC. Ask questions...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Mobility Scooters

•   Message 1 of 21 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

I have searched the site for information but all I get is questions, so I post here a "General" call for information on where to purchase an electric Mobility Scooter in North Cyprus?

I see them about fairly often so I know they exist, mainly in use by local people and have not yet seen one in use by "Expats" but they are here.

I know they can be purchased in the RoC but that presents several other problems as well as finding the right one and getting it into the North.

I would be happy to receive any information that anyone has on this subject ples. Many thanks.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

ttoli
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Mobility Scooters

•   Message 2 of 21 in Discussion

Post by ttoli »

Enable mobility ceased trading a few years ago , there is a medical supply shop opposite the hospital in Kyrenia , maybe worth asking in there or at A One car rental opposite the Altinkaya Holiday Village on the Bellapais Rd , one of the family uses one , and it's parked up there most days .
(Advertising Restricted)

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 21 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

ttoli, Many thanks, will give them a try.

karmels
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 21 in Discussion

Post by karmels »

Waddo they sell them in the medical shop opposite the barbers club heading for lefcosia from the roundabout from the new harbour.
I am not sure but think they cost about 5.000.00 TL
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves. Confucius 551-479 BC

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 21 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

If the above doesn't work, you could always go the Leonard Cheshire Home and see where they get theirs from.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Two minds with a single thought ! I am looking for some kind of mobility vehicle too. I was told about the shop near the New Harbour roundabout and am hoping to go there tomorrow. I wll let you know how I get on, will you do the same please?

Have you any idea what kind? I am told thethree wheeled kind are more stable and can cope with less smooth surfaces?

Anyone here have any experience or know anything about them.

PS I would have poste this earlier but have been unable to log in here for a couple of weeks.

karmels
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 21 in Discussion

Post by karmels »

R.R. Simon who lives in the village has one, he bought it from the medical shop near the round about. It is just like the ones you see in the UK, it has 4 wheels it travels quite a long way before recharging, he has been to Catalkoy and back.
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves. Confucius 551-479 BC

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Karmels: Unfortunately I dont know Simon, although he may be the one a friend spoke to and found out about the medicalshop near the roundabout.

ttoli: Which hospital, please?

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 21 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

I did see one a few months ago in China Bazaar by the Ozankoy turn off

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 21 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

Sorry duplicate post

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 21 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

RR, Sorry, I am busy right up till next Wednesday and won't be able to get to the shop today. However, before handing over 5000TL (about £1120.00 at today's rate) for a small scooter, perhaps you could have a look here: https://www.peyiamobility.com/medium-4-6-mph-scooters and consider an option. I would not normally shop for large items such as this in the RoC due to the difficulties of crossing back with it but if you have a friend who is able to transfer such an item then the "Shoprider Sovereign" appears to be a much better scooter and more suited to our, somewhat uncared for road systems! Ask your friend for his/her thoughts on this before you buy!! Remember it is ground clearance you need here as well as good suspension, you will only buy one so treat it like a new car and get the best you can for the job. Good luck.

Olly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Olly »

I have just bought a mobility scooter in the UK, very easy to bring back, rode it to plane door, after flight it was waiting for me again at plane door. Several good ones on eBay, Lloyds chemist do one for £800.
My previous scooter is still in good order, few grazes, I am looking to sell it for £100. It breaks down to four sections to put in boot. 0533 8888 354.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

WADDO I saw the one at the medical supplies shop past the Peace Roundabout. It is 6,500 TL which is over £1,500!!!!!! However from my point of view it is built for a large man, and being only a little girl (! at least heightwise) my feet dont reach the floor, and the seat cant be adjusted far enough. The instructions were in English but there was no indication of who the manufacturer is , which is suspicious to my mind, and means I cant check it on the Internet.

The shop opposite the hospital (the public hospital by the way) you have to order from a catalogue and they dont seem much different from the hoone I saw.

I have found a mutual friend with Simon and hope to speak to him soon about his experiences. I have also contacted Ollie and hope to be able to visit and try hers for sale.

I will also try to one near Altankaya (at least I can manage that on my own) and let you know what that is like.

Otherwise it looks like either persuading someone to bring one from the UK for me, or a trip South!

The good new (from my point of view) is that I managed to get a pair of orthopaedic sandals at the shop opposite the hospital so at least walking is a little easier. Apart from the scooters, it is quite well equipped and they are helpful.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 21 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

RR, OK, many thanks. They seem far to expensive on this side of the line so if all else fails the South would be your best bet unless you could do what Olly did and make a trip to the UK then kind of ride it back again. There will always be a way and I am sure you will find it. Good luck.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

If anyone is still interested I have discovered that there is a shop in (North) Lefkoşa that sells a variety of mobility scooters. Prices seem to range from 2,500 to 5000, Turkish Lıra
Ayşe Köse

0542 859 2866

whatnochips
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 21 in Discussion

Post by whatnochips »

I'm selling one it's a go go sports elite for £650.
Mywifes had it for one year. Jut got back from the UK
With a all singing and dancing for £2500 but well worth
It.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 21 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Many thanks. I was searching for one for another person who has since purchased one. Good luck with your sale.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Waddo:; I was lucky enough to get one second hand. Mine is a small version, suits me for the moment, as I still have a car for longer trips and for the weekly shop . Mine is ideal for pottering around the village, local shops (particularly butcher and and Muhtar where car parking is v. difficult. I can also take one of the dogs walkies, though they advise against it.

What kind you get, depends on your needs, normally I have fairly good upper body strength. I don't today as I have hurt one arm,, so I have only have one and a bit active limbs and cant use it,, but IHOPE that is temporary. Check how you fix the cable to recharge, mine is in an awkward place and v. stiff. Mine also runs by pressing on a lever below the handlebars (where a bicycle brake would be) and you stop by stoppping pressing on it!. It takes time to get used to for someone who is used to driving a car, and used to cycle. Not much carrying capacity.

Also make sure first you have somewhere to keep it, they have to be kept out of the rain! I thought I could keep it in the entrance hall and exit by the front door, but the traffic going past (sorry to harp on about this, but perhaps you now see some of the problem)) made this impossible as I got run into the first time I used it! You need to keep it
somewhere near an electric outlet (normal domestic type) for recharging.

The good news is that it is a wonderful way of exploring your local environs: I am seeing things I never would have with a car and going further than I could have walking even in my active younger days. I can even get part of the way up the mountain into cleaner air, which helps my breathing problems considerably.

On the whole people are very kind, and the older Cypritos who probably want one themselves really interested. Cars and particularly large lorries are usually conisderate although there is always one selfish idiot. I have been given reflective jacket of the type used by construction workers whichI recommend as well as fixing a bell or hooter if not integral with the one they buy,

However I shall probably scream if anyone else tells me not to exceed the speed limit , or have a licence for "that thing"

Good luck and let me know if there is anything else you want to know

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 21 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

RR, Many thanks for all the information but actually, and in cahoots with your and my Turkish friend, you were the person that I was trying to find - and following lots of investigation and searching (thank you "Olly") we were successful, as you now have it - a mobility scooter for. However, all information is useful and your last posting gives some good tips as well as helpful feedback to anyone else who needs one of these. Should you wish to upgrade then I see "whatnochips" is selling a one year old Sport edition - you could take on the fast motors through the village with this - and if it is this one: http://www.thelivingcentre.co.uk/go-go- ... ooter.html then I think it would even handle the state of most of Ozankoy's "disturbed" road surfaces. Glad to have helped, take care driving under those 4X4's, one of them may be me - lol.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

This shows how easily you can get into a tangle and misunderstanding on a forum! Fortunately, in this case, both parties were well meaning

Sorry Waddo , I thought you were looking for a scooter for yourself, but it was kind of you to think of me.

I have pmd whatnochips, but since found the type on the Internet and it is not much different from the one I have and in particular it has the same ground clearance which does not get it up these pesky new pavements that keep appearing. I believe ordinary wheelchairs and women with push chairs have the same problems ,,,,,,,,,,,,,sorry I am wandering ot.
But basically it is the width that is the deciding factor. Thank to the North Circular now running outside my house I cant get out of the front door(with or without scooter) (hint, hint) and have to take it out through the house, out the back door and past the (small) car which gives insufficient clearance.

However the one I have now will do for the time being - I will consider updating if or when I can no longer run a car.

I am glad my notes were useful. I did have that they might help others in mind. Actually I have considered asking to have a special forum where those with disabilities or long term health problems can exchange notes and advise/help each other and perhaps advertisers of equipment be encouraged by a special discount. However I doubt there is the interest - you need four legs and a tail to get sympathy and support here. Though my three furry friends love the scooter as they now get lots of walkies.
Last edited by Ragged Robin on Sun 05 Nov 2017 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 21 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

whatnochips, I have pm'd you.

Return to “MEDICAL & DENTAL - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”