•   Message 1 of 43 in Discussion

Post by kaiserphil »

woodspeckie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Has anone read this book?

•   Message 2 of 43 in Discussion

Post by woodspeckie »

Just bought fromAmazon on my Kindle £2.99 paperback £3.85. I will read it and post.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 3 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

I just had a look, it's now down to £2.99 in the Kindle store, synopsis looks promising, have downloaded it...

Brighton Dot
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Brighton Dot »

I would be interested to hear reviews as I have found her to be very pro Greek and one of the last short stories I read by her left a very bad taste for me as it was very one sided.

JBA
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 43 in Discussion

Post by JBA »

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 43 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

I read Victoria Hislop's 'The Thread' and even though I am interested in history and this particular subject, it did not tempt me to read another of her books. I just wasn't gripped by the story and I put it down to her style of writing, it seems very wooden. Nothing really interesting other than the history itself. I think she does all the research and it's not a bad book.
I personally preferred Louis de Berniere's book 'Birds without Wings' and 'Captain Correlli's Mandolin' for Med history
Let us know, if you are reading the 'Sunrise', what you think of it. maybe I will give her another chance.

Strandfan
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Strandfan »

Just finished it and its an okay read.

Most of the novel is set in 1974 at the time of the war.

The novel is not overly concerned with the politics of the period. It is a piece of popular fiction about a grand hotel set in the seaside resort area of Famagusta.

The Hotel, Sunrise, is the obsession of its owner, a Greek man Savvas Papacostas and his jewel loving wife Afroditi. The hotel nightclub manager, Marcos, also a Greek, turns out to be less trustworthy than the Papacostas assume. The wife despises him initially but is seduced by him and becomes in thrall to him. There are employees who are representatives of the Turkish community all seemingly to work together harmoniously and after being isolated by the invasion share a hideout in the hotel in occupied territory. There is a good liberal distribution of virtues and Greeks and Turks together while the militias maintain control of the various parts of the island.

It is a melodramatic, sometimes sentimental, tale about relatively unappealing people and their experiences during the war.

Not my kind of novel though the Cyprus setting attracted me to the book. Compared with say Sadie Jones's SMALL WARS it is poor stuff. It is better than the usual beach trash recommended for holiday reading – just.

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 43 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

I enjoyed her other books, The Thread, The Island and The Return.....this one was rubbish in comparison. Very biased, not a balanced story at all, and more focussed on relationships than giving a flavour for what was going on. It is a snapshot in time really, and does not cover the build up to the 1974 intervention by Turkey. I was very disappointed and not one I would read again, and that is usually my measure of a good book.

kaiserphil
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 43 in Discussion

Post by kaiserphil »

Many thanks for all the responses. I guess I will give it a miss.

nonna
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 43 in Discussion

Post by nonna »

I agree with the above comments ... I was not impressed with her writing style and she is biased.

If you have not read 'Birds without Wings' by Louis de Bernieres I would treat yourself to a copy. One of the best books I have ever read, beautifully written.

kaiserphil
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 43 in Discussion

Post by kaiserphil »

At one time I had read all of de Berniere's books, but that was quite a few years ago. Birds without Wings sounds good, I may give it a go.

Still smiling at the thought of Captain Corelli being played by Nicholas Cage. Bit like Tom Cruise playing Jack Reacher really.

crofter
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 43 in Discussion

Post by crofter »

Just started reading the Kindle version so will let you know.

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

I have just finished reading this book and thoroughly enjoyed it. A good story of two families (Greek/Turkish Cypriot) caught up in the troubles in 1974. I think it was quite an unbiased read and talked of the destruction that war brings rather than finger pointing.

I have to be honest, I am quite intrigued now to visit verosha to try and walk the streets described within the book. Just need to wait for a cooler day!

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

kaiserphil wrote:
Sat 04 Jul 2015 2:41 pm
At one time I had read all of de Berniere's books, but that was quite a few years ago. Birds without Wings sounds good, I may give it a go.

Still smiling at the thought of Captain Corelli being played by Nicholas Cage. Bit like Tom Cruise playing Jack Reacher really.
Nick Cage is a stretch as a romantic lead, not helped by thin lanky hair that looks like it needs a wash, good actor though he is, his image never quite carries the role of physically impressive male lead.

Birds Without Wings is a masterpiece of literature... be prepared to blub like a baby... it's a life affirming, outlook changing rollercoaster of a work.

Khaled Hosseini's The Kite Runner is another.

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

The Janissary Tree
By Jason Goodwin is the first of several great reads set in Istanbul, I loved the whole lot.

leester polfus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 43 in Discussion

Post by leester polfus »

Strandfan sums it up rather well.

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 43 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

Since the posting of this thread, I have read 'the Sunrise' and It was better than 'The Thread' , I accept that she is a big Greekophile and as said before, her writing can be very wooden. I have read all the books mentioned as I am interested in the locations and her research is accurate, it is said.
I agree with trigger, having read it I Iooked at Maraş with different eyes!! But also agree with mrsgee, I wouldn't want to read it again.

I am reading Tabitha Morgan's 'Sweet and Bitter Island' at the moment. It is a history documentary rather than a 'story' but I find it very interesting.
Certainly learning things I did not know about!!!!
Another Med book is by author i Giles Milton - Paradise Lost: The Destruction of Islam's City of Tolerance, story about Smyrna/Izmir, more docu - drama than plain documentary but very interesting!!! His other book which is quite topical is 'White Gold: The Extraordinary Story of Thomas Pellow and North Africa's One Million European Slaves' - many people from Cornwall and Southern England ended up as slaves in Morocco etc.
He is an amazing researcher!!

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 43 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

Not that I am reading a lot as my kindle is still dead and I am not sure it's wise to order a new one - will it get here???

(:"() (:"() (:"() (:"() (:"() (:"()

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 43 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

Groucho wrote:
Sun 11 Jul 2021 8:59 am
kaiserphil wrote:

Nick Cage is a stretch as a romantic lead, not helped by thin lanky hair that looks like it needs a wash, good actor though he is, his image never quite carries the role of physically impressive male lead.

Birds Without Wings is a masterpiece of literature... be prepared to blub like a baby... it's a life affirming, outlook changing rollercoaster of a work.

Khaled Hosseini's The Kite Runner is another.
Birds without wings is one of my favourite books, have read it twice and will read it again. And yes it brings tears to the eyes . Also the kite runner, have the DVD but as always the book is best.

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

Thanks for more recommendations, will add them to my wish list.

Dippersgirl, can you not pick up one on the Greek side? I only got a kindle about a year ago and it’s probably my most used gadget.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 43 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

kaiserphil wrote:

What the 6’5 Jack Reacher?
Tbf to Tom I think they just needed the right actors around him for the fight scenes. I can only assume Danny DeVito and Warwick Davies already were committed to other projects.
Hopefully they put him behind Prince George for last night’s match because I’d have been devastated if he didn’t get a good view.
The English hoi polloi supporters can always watch it on the telly and not get in the way.

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 43 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

Trigger - picking one up from the Greek side???? Surely I have to buy from Amazon and have to have it delivered to an address.I don't have an address to send it there!!!
If somebody can tell me how to get a new kindle, I will be really happy to find out

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 23 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

dippersgirl wrote:
Mon 12 Jul 2021 11:23 am
Trigger - picking one up from the Greek side???? Surely I have to buy from Amazon and have to have it delivered to an address.I don't have an address to send it there!!!
If somebody can tell me how to get a new kindle, I will be really happy to find out
Some computer stores sell them in RoC: https://www.singular.com.cy/amazon-kind ... black.html
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 43 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

any one wants this as either a EPUB or Mobi file , I will emal it to them.

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 43 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

Thanks Soner, I can't go there, I still have a visa problem (long story) but will see if my friend can!!

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 43 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

Trigger wrote:
Sun 11 Jul 2021 8:48 am
I have just finished reading this book and thoroughly enjoyed it. A good story of two families (Greek/Turkish Cypriot) caught up in the troubles in 1974. I think it was quite an unbiased read and talked of the destruction that war brings rather than finger pointing.

I have to be honest, I am quite intrigued now to visit verosha to try and walk the streets described within the book. Just need to wait for a cooler day!

I also enjoyed, sometimes its nice to read something that doesn't require too much thought! I thoroughly enjoyed The Island and couldn't put it down.

gilly123
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 43 in Discussion

Post by gilly123 »

I have a kindle fire HDX for sale if your interested, with charger and cover, sorry no idea of price so you could make an offer. I'm in Karsiyaka which I know is a little way from you !!

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 43 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

gilly123 wrote:
Wed 14 Jul 2021 3:14 pm
I have a kindle fire HDX for sale if your interested, with charger and cover, sorry no idea of price so you could make an offer. I'm in Karsiyaka which I know is a little way from you !!
It is roughly the model below?
kindle fire hdx.JPG
If you are looking to unload it I'll give you twenty quid for it but as I'm buying it as a back up I'm happy to stand aside for someone who hasn't got one and is desperate to get one such as Dippersgirl

gilly123
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 43 in Discussion

Post by gilly123 »

Yes similar but Amazon. Let's give her a chance to answer first.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 43 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

gilly123 wrote:
Wed 14 Jul 2021 4:57 pm
Yes similar but Amazon. Let's give her a chance to answer first.
Yes 100% give her first option

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 43 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

Hi gilly, yes I am interested, price??? What year?? And getting it is the really tricky bit. Dipkarpaz is a very, very long way from Karsiyaka!!. And I don't have a car. I have a friend in Ozankoy and 1 in Çatalköy. Maybe something can be arranged? Thank you for being considerate ETS. Will make some calls in the morning and come back to you here

gilly123
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 32 of 43 in Discussion

Post by gilly123 »

Hello, not sure of year as I can't remember when I got it, very little used tho. Is there anyway to tell the year on one of these? As I said no idea what they cost so I hope ETS offer is about right £20. The cover is looking tatty so it's without cover.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 43 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

gilly123 wrote:
Thu 15 Jul 2021 11:21 am
As I said no idea what they cost so I hope ETS offer is about right £20. The cover is looking tatty so it's without cover.
I have no idea tbh there are so many models and so many reconditioned models. I googled kindle fire hdx and the first one came up £35 so I thought £20 was a fair offer.
This is the link
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=kindle+fir ... _sb_noss_1

Obviously it could be a model that is £100 new in which case I would have revised my offer.

I have no wish to con anyone but by the same token I don't want to pay £50 for a second hand version of something that is £35 new especially as I am in no rush for it. :)
Not my style to low ball someone as that's short term thinking. I always like everyone to be happy with the deal so in the future maybe we can do business again.

But only you can really know what you feel is a fair price so I suggest you try and do some research what model it is exactly so you don't feel as if you might have been conned.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 34 of 43 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

dippersgirl wrote:
Wed 14 Jul 2021 10:23 pm

Thank you for being considerate ETS.
In these troubled times if us kindle readers can't stick together what hope is there? ;)

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 35 of 43 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

gilly123 wrote:
Thu 15 Jul 2021 11:21 am
Is there anyway to tell the year on one of these?
If you registered it to your Amazon account then if you search for your devices in your profile it will give an accurate description of what you have.

Obviously what you paid at the time for it is a different matter.

These devices are often discounted or become dated so I guess its a bit like if you want to be ahead of the Joneses and buy the latest all singing all dancing wide screen super HD makes the tea TV set. The fact you pay three grand for it now doesn't mean that in 5 years someone couldn't buy a better newer version of the same TV for £300!
I think it's called Moore's law.

gilly123
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 36 of 43 in Discussion

Post by gilly123 »

Now sorry I offered. I'm not making any allegations and certainly wasn't suggesting anyone was conning anyone. Dippersgirl if you do want it private message me please. I was just trying to help out.

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 37 of 43 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

Gilly, don't worry about comments here - it's a forum!!
I am very grateful for your offer!!!! I do want it!!
I have pm'd you

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 38 of 43 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

gilly123 wrote:
Thu 15 Jul 2021 2:27 pm
Now sorry I offered. I'm not making any allegations and certainly wasn't suggesting anyone was conning anyone. Dippersgirl if you do want it private message me please. I was just trying to help out.
No no please....... I wasn’t offended or accusing you or anything else.
I simply said I made an offer based on the info given and I hoped it was fair but couldn’t be 100%
I just said maybe try and check it out what it actually is you have because I and I’m sure dippersgirl want to pay a fair price and for you to be happy that you got a fair price.
That’s all.

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 39 of 43 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

Update re kindle:
I am buying the kindle fire and am in the process of sorting it!!
Another good news is - my kindle paperwhite is working!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I talked to a friend in England and he suggested to let the battery run out and leave it for a week and then charging it via a laptop - I did this and when switching it back on everything suddenly was ok !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am not sure I can trust it, so are getting the other kindle just in case!! But...................

P:)) P:))

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 40 of 43 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

dippersgirl wrote:
Fri 16 Jul 2021 2:53 pm
Update re kindle:
I am buying the kindle fire and am in the process of sorting it!!
Another good news is - my kindle paperwhite is working!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I talked to a friend in England and he suggested to let the battery run out and leave it for a week and then charging it via a laptop - I did this and when switching it back on everything suddenly was ok !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am not sure I can trust it, so are getting the other kindle just in case!! But...................

P:)) P:))
Great news.
Re old kindle, Head Office doesn't trust me as far as she can throw me but keeps me around.
Hey as its a back up all bets are off, I'm back in the game!!! ;)

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 41 of 43 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

Another good news is that I managed the exchange of kindle and money - thank you very much Gill!!!! I am very glad because the bad news is that my kindle paperwhite has got stuck again!!!! I just knew it couldn't be trusted!!!
Thanks everybody for your help and suggestions.
I don't know what I do without the kindle!!!! I think real books are best, but living where we do, with no bookshops near and a few powercuts, a kindle with internal light is the only solution!!!!

gilly123
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 42 of 43 in Discussion

Post by gilly123 »

And what a suprise, such a small world, Lorraine and mike were the couriers! Enjoy. Xx

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 43 of 43 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

Well and the bad news is the old kindle died again - soon I will have yours - Gill - then I can carry on reading my Cyprus book - Tabitha Morgan's 'Sweet and Bitter Island', really interesting reading!!
One thing that I found interesting and 'fun' - apparently in the very early days of the Brits coming to live in Nicosia, and enterprising Greek Cypriot heard that there was a lack of fresh milk, so he took several female goats and walked with them from house to house offering 'fresh milk' - certainly could not have had it fresher - milking on demanr!!!!!

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”