General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

HUGE CHANGES TO RESIDENCY APPLICATION

•   Message 1 of 41 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

If C2D is to be believed huge changes came into force yesterday. Won't go into detail as there is too much It's supposed to be able to get them with one visit to Lefkosia, no visits to Girne police, with the minium of paper work needed in future. No change is price and No 3 years available, but full residency after 5 years and 1,300tl

ONLY FOR THOSE OVER 60 THOUGH!!

Don't blame me of the info is wrong, its what C2D is saying.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: HUGE CHANGES TO RESIDENCY APPLICATION

•   Message 2 of 41 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Typical I have just renewed mine for 2 years I could have got the permanent one if I had waited a bit.

banjo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 41 in Discussion

Post by banjo »

It really is good news. I am missing information about the 'papers' you need to produce. As far as I remember, there was something about 'police papers' from your own country, and something about birth certificate, and whether you are married, widow etc. But don't' 'hang me' on the last part. I have some of it from 44. I will, though, next week ask the police. But perhaps BRS will answer that.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 41 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

at the moment the changes only apply of you are over 60

banjo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 41 in Discussion

Post by banjo »

Perhaps you can still have the 'permanent one' Deniz 1, but of cause you will have to pay a bit more

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 41 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Maybe it would be another 800ytl on top think will wait until next time.

Hippocampus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 41 in Discussion

Post by Hippocampus »

Big deal, so you need fewer bits of paper and needn't visit the police. What about those of us who are under 60, have been married for most of their lives, and have to suffer the indignity and insult of an annual STD test? I am normally the last person to shout about human rights, but in this instance I feel like screaming from the rooftops. Why should we have to subject ourselves once a year to an invasive procedure in a country with one of the highest incidents of MRSA in the world, and to the radiation from an x-ray, on a whim of the government? Are they trying to create work for the rash of laboratories that have appeared, one of which is owned by Mehmet Ali Talat's wife? Have we ever been given a rational explanation as to why we are such a health risk to the country?

I have not renewed my residency this year in disgust at the treatment of many ex pats regarding this ridiculous testing. It is unfortunate that most of the loudest and influential voices of the ex-pat community are over 60, and thus are not personally bothered by the blood test and x-ray, otherwise there would have been more of an outcry over it. I suspect that most of those under 60 are too scared of the consequences of making too much of a fuss.

banjo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 41 in Discussion

Post by banjo »

I agreee with you Hippocampus, but you are forgetting, that 'we', over 60 have endured what you talk about, and, perhaps, after quite some years are tired of being just visitors. The Government has changed the rules so often, that, I would think, more than a few visitors would have permanent residency, had it not been for the 5 years changed to xx and so on and so forth. Last time the emigration office told me, when I asked for 'permanent', to go back to the police and ask, and the police said 'don't believe what they say'.
Voila. So I gave up and had 2 more years as visitor.
I had, this time, a plan in place, if I one more time got that response from the emigration office. And I am still going ahead with that, as soon as I have permanent residency.
And no, it is not so easy for everybody to find birth certificate etc., not to mention papers from the police in your country. But as I said, I do not know if it is correct, and I will wait for an answer from BRS what papers are needed, other than the 'paper mountain' we all submit every year or every 2 year

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 41 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

When I came it was 5 years to CITIZENSHIP. GThat is why I came and then the law changed and changed and changed. Permanent residency was then after 6 years, and just as I got all the paper work done - forget it, CANCELLED. Now it is for over 60's to the tune of1,500 years so that is a way of paying for 10 years but with no paper work. So, anyone who snuffs it at 65 or so, is paying a lot of money for the price of not having the paper work. Just hope that this is constant and maybe ev en reduced figure. After all it is just one lot of paper work for the Gov ! But it is good that permanent is brought back, but I still want what I came for! will I get it? Probably not! Might not live long enough for the next change! But as they say, half a loaf is better than none. But why only the voer 60's. I would have thought that younger people might be of more value to the country or is it because they will want work rather than bringing in money????
Maid Marion of Malatya
'Plan as if you will live for ever, but live each day as if it is your last.'

banjo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 41 in Discussion

Post by banjo »

Marions as I read Cyprus Today it is 1.300 TL. Now what do you pay for 2 years as a visitor? Think it is 240 TL, but do not remember, and stamps 10,50TL plus running to the police and Nicosia plus all the photocopies. I think it is worth it. Yes, not cheap. But much, much better than being a visitor. And I am not planning on going anywhere else to live!

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 41 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

O.K. I only skim read it, but I know it said 'minimum wage' and I agree with you about the lack of hassle and I don't intend to go anywhere else (unless I win the lotto then Imight go back to Australia!), but it seems a lot of money for one lot of paper work, especially as we have to do a lot of the paperwork ourselves. As I say, did ours a couple of years back, but will have to start again. We are due in january s my husband can apply and sotp being worried about all these vists to the police station etc!
Maid Marion of Malatya

Hippocampus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 41 in Discussion

Post by Hippocampus »

There are very many, me included, who are under 60 but retired in their own right or whose spouse is over 60. So the rules are different for me than for my older husband. Ageism is slowly becoming illegal in the rest of Europe and the USA, if this country wishes to be considered a modern state it should not be discriminating so blatantly on that basis.

As for snuffing it before you have had value for money with the cost of permanant res., maybe that's why it's just for the over 60s!

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 41 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

just had a thought. Perhaps someone should double check (I will see if the office will do it) because what happens if the husband (or wife for that matter) is over 60 and the other half is younger. Do they get in on the back of the older one????? As they say 'Further investigation is required. or does osmeone out there know the answer. OR MAYBE i should aks Kerem who wrote the article to do a follow up.

Oops, as I was writing this Hippocmapus posted. so here is a case in point. surely they should accept that in a marriage the older person is the qualifying one. I do agree about the ageism though, bhtu North Cyprus moves slowly towards th emodern world - partof its charm as well as its aggravation.
Maid Marion of Malatya

The Dog Walker
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 41 in Discussion

Post by The Dog Walker »

At present I believe it's 433 TL for 2-year residency, so we need to hang around for 6 years to make the 1300 TL worthwhile.

banjo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 41 in Discussion

Post by banjo »

And who is it you or going to 'save' that amount for then Or do you think 2 years visitor residency is going to be cheaper. A follow up is needed, to some of the questions, yes, why not a 'task' for you Marion. I believe Kibkom has a member of BRS, so perhaps we will have an answer here. Otherwise we will have to wait or ask relevant questions to the police and the imigration as individuals.

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 41 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

Agreed Banjo. I will see what can be found out, but also as I know that BRS have been involved in discussions maybe Mamachina can comment!!!!! I must admit I really can't see why Perm Residency should cost somuch for one lot of paper work, but maybe it is the government's way of getting extra money, and I DO agree it saves a lot of hassle of queuing etc, why oh why is it 1300tl. The paper work cannot be more than for a two year residency. But it is a take it or leave it decision isn#'t it. and it does give peace of mind, but like many things, it is but a step along the way to the answer many of us would like to hear. And of course if there is a flood, it could mtake time, or they will decide there are too many of us.
Maid Marion of Malatya

banjo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 41 in Discussion

Post by banjo »

I think, the Government know exactly how many we are over 60.

andrew4232
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 41 in Discussion

Post by andrew4232 »

well the takings must be down since most of the people i know over 60 are not doing resi any more now they don't have to, its just a cunning plan to get there income back up again
Karaman, its not all wax jackets and green wellies anymore

zarafet
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 41 in Discussion

Post by zarafet »

I have always liked this country but this has made me think it is time to move on. I have a few years left yet before I will be 60, but my partner is in his 60s. It was bad enough when they said I still had to be tested for disease, but he no longer did, but this is the limit. Now he will be able to go for permanent residency whilst I still have years of tests and hassle. Also probably by the time I reach 60 and can be permanent they will have changed the rules again, leaving me a guest and him permanent resident!! I am not trying to work here and never have, I do not need to so why am I different from the over 60s? It saddens me, but I think it's time to find somewhere that doesn't discriminate against me quite so much and would want me to stay and keep my money here. Sadly this does not appear to be the case here anymore.

solic200
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 41 in Discussion

Post by solic200 »

I am well under 60 yrs old & have been living here permanently for 13yrs & I still get interrogated at the police station immigration dept & I do & always will hate going there, but I resent the fact that I can't get permanent residency because I am under the 60yrs old bracket, although I don't think I would pay the rip off fee anyway.
The only good thing about this change is, that at least there will not be any old people with their zimmer frames getting in the way or falling over at the immigration dept, so should be in & out within 10 mins.

stellasstar1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 41 in Discussion

Post by stellasstar1 »

In the paper, it says that BRS were talking to the government about the confusion for the over 60's and this is the compromise they came up with. There is nothing to say the over 60's do not need residency, and permanent residency after 5 years is only for people who have been here legally for 5 years, therefore people over 60 who do not renew are still taking a risk when they leave the country, and cannot renew driving licences.

Hippocampus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 41 in Discussion

Post by Hippocampus »

Zarafet, I am in exactly the same position as you, and agree with you wholeheartedly. Being treated like an eastern European whore and somebody who is undesirable for perm.res. by this brothel-visiting country on the basis of being under 60 is an insult, particularly when one has lived here for very many years and contributed a goodly sum of money to the economy, and spent a great deal of time working voluntarily for charity.

Even if I were over 60, I now do not wish to be a permanent resident here, nor does my over-60 husband wish to pay the high price for, as Marions has said, their arranging one set of paperwork and thus saving a lot of future staff costs. Apart from saving the annual pilgrimage to Lefkosa, there seems to me to be nothing to be gained from having perm.res. anyway. The government only seem to see ex-pats as a source of ever increasing revenue, without ever rewarding loyalty with any concessions.

All this has been the straw that broke this camel's back, having remained positive despite lots of setbacks in the past we would now go elsewhere if we could get a decent price for our property.

Asia111

•   Message 23 of 41 in Discussion

Post by Asia111 »

Both myself and my husband are under 60 and have been renewing our residency permit on an annual basis for many years. Like many others we applied for permanent residency when that option was available to us. Despite being financially secure and ticking all the other boxes required for permanent residency, we were told (by a senior immigration officer) that we would always be rejected for permanent residency unless we were 60 and in receipt of a state pension. By the time we get to age 60 the likelihood is that the goalposts will have moved again as the UK state pension age has changed - now age 66 for many of us.

It would be great if the BRS were able to negotiate improved residency terms for us 'youngsters'. If not permanent residency a 2 or 3 year residency permit would be of some benefit for starters - it would free us up from the annual paperwork and medicals and we would not feel constrained to staying in the country every year at a particular time of the year when our residency permit is due for renewal.

For all you 'youngsters' out there reading this post may I encourage you to submit your own post on this blog. The more the better. The information from this blog may help the BRS to raise awareness with the Government of the strength of feeling on this topic and hopefully, negotiate some positive changes!

Mel7348
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 41 in Discussion

Post by Mel7348 »

When I applied for permanent residency in 2005 having the full 5 years of temp.res.stamps was told that Immigration police/Intelligence had to commission 3 reports. I asked who would be compiling the reports and was told confidental can't disclose. Not difficult to hazard a guess. It took 2 years for the application to be approved, still having to renew temp. in the mean time.

For me it has been well worth having for the past 5 years, just being hassle free and I did get a 10yr driving licence again less hassle.

The only hiccup, Ercan departures had never seen one before and had to wait while they found someone who knew what it was and nearly missed my flight to Hatay.
Life's too short to stuff a mushroom

banjo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 41 in Discussion

Post by banjo »

Solic200 you should address your frustration to BRS for the lack of results years ago. This is a start. Perhaps you can't see that. I can think of other 'situations' that is an insolt to most foreigners. Like a Turk getting kimlik card, not because he earned it, but because he knows somebody, who knows somebody, and then getting married to a foreigner, who 1 year later has the same right: kimlik. BUT I will NOT go into a debate about Turks, for now.
I do not hope I come across you ,needing help if I ever break a leg. Come to think of it, I never saw a foreigner at the emigration in a wheelchair or with a broken leg. Most Brits I know maintain their homes and gardens, enjoying it. But of cause, you were joking
I do remember one incident years ago at the hospital 7 in the morning after blood sample, cuing up for X ray. We were a few foreigners and a lot of Turkish men, and we waited and waited. Ad who barged in! A group of laughing Brits, 25 or so, with a guide. So we, who had been there from early morning, had to wait yet some more hours. I and the others waiting, did not say anything, but we were surely thinking.
And Hippocampus it is not just MRSA you, perhaps, need to worry about, but hepatitis.
Somehow the Government forgets that we contribute to society, paying tax on interest and property, KDV, maintenance in the village, where we live and so on and so forth. But when it comes to rights, we have absolutely NON.
Mel7349 I also applied in 2005 and was told to wait one more year, and then ....
(Would love to hear about Hatay one day, I made it as far as Iskenderun).
And now if we can get back to the subject, please, like when does it come into effect, and which papers are needed, if indeed any more than already required.
I have an idea, and perhaps it has been put forward before, and do not know if it will get support: a petition on line asking the Government to change the policy towards foreigners here. If it gives any result, submit it to the relevant Ministry, or let BRS submit it. Problem is, I have no idea as to how many people we are talking about.
Good Night to all you sweet people out there

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 41 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

According to the paper you just need a muhtars letter passport and the blue or pink book then go straight to immigration. It came into effect on Friday.i m sure we will here from someone soon who has applied.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 41 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Yes Deniz1, that's my take on the subject.. Those little pink or blue cards/books (very flimsy but very important) that we received from the very start appear to be coming into their own at last. On another BB I think some people are going to apply tomorrow, so lets see what happens.

BTW, I have a friend who has lived here since 2002 but has only just become elligible for Permanent. The reason being - when in the past you applied for Permanent your Ins and Outs were checked thoroughly and because of personal reasons over a 2 or 3 year period she found herself having to return to UK frequently. As a result she did not have the required number of consecutive months in a year in the TRNC to apply. This will be the first time she ticks that particular box. (which I might add, doesn't appear to be mentioned so perhaps the authorities have scrapped that bit of administration altogether)

cyprusishome
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 41 in Discussion

Post by cyprusishome »

Cost quoted is 1300tl, previously on top of that to apply there was the barrage of blood tests, x rays etc. Will be interessting to see if it remains 1.300tl and no extras.

Have not checked but I am sure BRS will have on their web site soon, if not already.

I know peeps are saying about under 60's but yavas, yavas. IMO the reason Perm Residency is not to be offered under 60 is the employment situation ie if under 60 how do you support yourself. If you have no means of support there may be a good chance of working illegally because getting a work permit is almost impossible.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 41 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

If you are correct cyprusishome, then for the first time in quite a few years, someone has done "joined up writing" because from their point of view it will make complete sense, as it does to me if I'm honest. I know there are people out here who are in a position to live quite happily on their investments or still have an interest in successful businesses back in the UK, but the majority of us are not.

Hippocampus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 41 in Discussion

Post by Hippocampus »

Point taken about people needing to work, but discriminating on the basis of age is ridiculous. Most of the people that I know that work here, legally or not, are in fact over 60 and struggling to live on their pensions in the manner to which they wish. I, however, am under 60 and am fortunate enough to own my own house and have enough money to live comfortably, have no intention whatsoever of working. I know several other under 60's who are married to pensioners, and are supported by their spouse.

The authorities already ask you to produce bank statements for temp. res., why not just request proof of income as other civilised countries do, and scrap the ageism. I suppose, however, that giving wealthy under 60's perm.res. would not prevent them from being such a terrrible health risk to the country, so best keep them coming once a year for their blood test etc. and keep the labs in business, until they suddenly stop sleeping around on their 60th birthday.

banjo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 41 in Discussion

Post by banjo »

Went to emigration to day to have my permanent residency. Was treated very, very friendly, but will have to come back in 10 days time. Not because anything was wrong, but on the PC they could see, I had handed the paper mountain to the police, and because of that, one more 'trip'. And no, no extra papers are required.

mamachina
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 32 of 41 in Discussion

Post by mamachina »

Marian asked if I could comment many days ago - sorry Ive been out of communication!! But I think the report in Cyprus Today last Sat said all that was needed. First application remains the same, all the bumff and paper etc but after that, no. As to under 60's, we can only take it slowly as someone else said - yavas. Dont worry, we will continue to try and get something done to ease the situation there as well. Blood tests non existent if a regular blood donor, has already been agreed. But, I've said this before when trying to get things altered one takes it slowly, doesnt publicise it until everything, and I mean, everything is sorted - and even then just along the road a barrier can go up!! Goal posts move, and it all begins again!

I for one will not be looking for permanent residency - why bother, you dont get anything special for it just pay more money and hope to live long enough to use it up!!!! Once there is something more concrete than just a stamp in ones passport it is not worth it, in my view! If they say one must have permanent residency before applying for citizenship (if ever!) it then becomes something that may be worth doing - til then I am happy to go to Lefkosa every two years with my letter, pink book and passport clutched in my hot little hand - oh yes and some lira!!

deputydawg
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 41 in Discussion

Post by deputydawg »

Sophie, perhaps there could be a connection between residency applications and drugs which some would say should be prescription only. I am not due to undertake again the process for residency until May next year but already I feel an urgent need for medication to combat stress, depression, and thoughts of inflicting violence. Unstable ? If I do not commit suicide first it will be my 9th application !
"profound ? A bird can sing with a broken wing, but, one can't pluck feathers off a frog!

LooseBoots
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 34 of 41 in Discussion

Post by LooseBoots »

As I have now reached the grand age of 60 I am well pleased that I don`t have to go through the blood test rigmorol again. But my partner is well under sixty. We are both regular blood donors
She is still having to juggle when to donate blood as , unless someone tells me different, you last blood donation has to be within 30 days of your visitor residency renewal date? Also what is the situation re the x ray and the related cost.

Could not see this clarified on BRS website.

It`s a shame that they don`t just accept that , re your blood donor card, you give blood regularly so are exempt from the test, instead of having this 30 day rule.
Always look on the Bright side of life. Monty Python - Life of Brian.
Be nice to one another.
Reporting from Portugal

banjo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 35 of 41 in Discussion

Post by banjo »

I am rather confused. At the emigration, I was told, I would have had the 'permanent', had I not handed in 'the paper mountain to the police'. Today Cyprus Today is coming up with an other version, much more expensive, and perhaps blood test and X ray. Come on some one from BRS is it A, B or C or perhaps D and yet some more TL

LooseBoots
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 36 of 41 in Discussion

Post by LooseBoots »

LooseBoots wrote:As I have now reached the grand age of 60 I am well pleased that I don`t have to go through the blood test rigmorol again. But my partner is well under sixty. We are both regular blood donors
She is still having to juggle when to donate blood as , unless someone tells me different, you last blood donation has to be within 30 days of your visitor residency renewal date? Also what is the situation re the x ray and the related cost.

Could not see this clarified on BRS website.

It`s a shame that they don`t just accept that , re your blood donor card, you give blood regularly so are exempt from the test, instead of having this 30 day rule.
Has anyone got an answer to the x ray situation if you are a blood donor or has anyone under 60 just done their residency that can confirm the latest situation?
Be nice to one another.
Reporting from Portugal

LooseBoots
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 37 of 41 in Discussion

Post by LooseBoots »

Is anyone out there?
Be nice to one another.
Reporting from Portugal

mc76
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 38 of 41 in Discussion

Post by mc76 »

Went to Lefkosa to renew temp residence as directed by BRS for over 60s with about 9 days left and was told I was too early and should try again next week. Anyone who has recently renewed their residence according to the new regulations can share their experience/ordeal in this thread.

LooseBoots
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 39 of 41 in Discussion

Post by LooseBoots »

mc76 wrote:Went to Lefkosa to renew temp residence as directed by BRS for over 60s with about 9 days left and was told I was too early and should try again next week. Anyone who has recently renewed their residence according to the new regulations can share their experience/ordeal in this thread.
don`t understand how that can be too early!!
Be nice to one another.
Reporting from Portugal

CoolKarsiyaka
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 40 of 41 in Discussion

Post by CoolKarsiyaka »

Shame it's just for over 60's... why cant they just make it one rule for all? I know people in their 30's, 40's, 50's that have been here for over 10 years - surely they should start to give people like that the option of getting permanent residency?

andrew4232
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 41 of 41 in Discussion

Post by andrew4232 »

CoolKarsiyaka wrote:Shame it's just for over 60's... why cant they just make it one rule for all? I know people in their 30's, 40's, 50's that have been here for over 10 years - surely they should start to give people like that the option of getting permanent residency?
i think its all to do with younger people being able to support themselves without having to work !
i know if you have been here years and not needed to work it proves you can but that would be a nightmare to control
its easier if your of pensionable age for them to assume you can support yourself
Karaman, its not all wax jackets and green wellies anymore

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”