General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

sylv
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

NOW URGENTLY REQUIRED FOR FIDDLATHON DUE TO CANCELLATION

•   Message 1 of 26 in Discussion

Post by sylv »

THE SCOTTISH DANCERS ARE NO LONGER APPEARING, THEREFORE PETER IS IN URGENT NEED OF DANCERS (OR MAYBE OTHER ENTERTAINERS) TO FILL A 45 MINUTE SLOT IN THE SCHEDULE ON SATURDAY.

IF YOU FEEL YOU CAN HELP HIM, PLEASE TELEPHONE ON 0533 888 7454.

bigOz
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: NOW URGENTLY REQUIRED FOR FIDDLATHON DUE TO CANCELLATION

•   Message 2 of 26 in Discussion

Post by bigOz »

Forgive my ignorance but - what is Fiddlathon? Is there an event of some kind that I have missed reading? Any information would be most helpful

Scoobydoo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 26 in Discussion

Post by Scoobydoo »

BigOz,

Peter Martin will be playing a fiddle from 11am to 11pm, hopefully for Help Those With Cancer Association/Tulips.

It will be in the Girne Belediye Square on Saturday 29th September and there will be many acts accompanying Peter throughout the whole event to try and keep him going for as long as possible!

There will also be games stalls for the children with prizes and also Lokma and Gozleme will be on sale.
So, if you are free please come along on Saturday and support him in his efforts to raise money.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give."

Winston Churchill

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 26 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

Tut tut, Oz. don''t you readCyprus Star? It is front page this week, what it is and why. so grab a copy and come down to the square onSaturday any time and join in and watch and have fun and give money! And bring your friends and family if they are free (which I doubt,but.....)

and do you know any other grup of musicians/dancers???
Maid Marion of Malatya
'Plan as if you will live for ever, but live each day as if it is your last.'

banjo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 26 in Discussion

Post by banjo »

Have just talked to Sue and suggested Kıbrıs Türk Folkloru, and they wıll ask, BUT any suggestion is more than welcome if this fails

banjo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 26 in Discussion

Post by banjo »

The English School of Kyrenia in Bella Pais also have some childrens groups performing folk dance. Also suggested to Sue. But please help, if you can, with any other suggestions, if what they have to 'work on' now fails.

sylv
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 26 in Discussion

Post by sylv »

Thanks Banjo, another group have now dropped out, please contact Peter if you have any bright ideas so he can contact them direct and arrange to rehearse, etc. A very full week of rehearsals at the moment.

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 26 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

would the lovely, kind, obliging Phoenix Line dancers do a double stint?????
Maid Marion of Malatya

sylv
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 26 in Discussion

Post by sylv »

I am afraid Phoenix Line Dancers withdrew this morning. Unsure about Friends at the moment. So possibly no Line Dancers at all!!!

banjo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 26 in Discussion

Post by banjo »

Sylvia, I think Sue is in contact with those, I have suggested. But must admit it is very short notice, especially the school. The only one I can think of is, Barry Snake, sorry, not sure it is correct,and no not dancing, but very good music

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 26 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

what is happening here. Groups bowing out with rapid speed. is there something going horribly wrong here?
Maid Marion of Malatya

banjo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 26 in Discussion

Post by banjo »

There is one more group, I can think of: Kyrenia Municip. Folk Dance Group.
What ever the problem is, I find it extremely sad that, any group, with such short notice 'back out'

andrew4232
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 26 in Discussion

Post by andrew4232 »

i know someone has to be the misery so it may as well be me! and after reading that its for a good course , but reading about all of these people pulling out it sounds to me like you should just cancel it and try and think of something else to do, but next time dont advertise until its all confirmed
Karaman, its not all wax jackets and green wellies anymore

sylv
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 26 in Discussion

Post by sylv »

I don't think that there is any question of cancelling! Peter has worked extremely hard over the past few months to put this event together. There are many kind and generous people who have offered their time and effort and it would be extremely unfair to cancel at this late stage.

If necessary he will have to continue to play on his own which is more of a strain than accompanying someone else.
Hours and hours of practice on his part cannot be wasted. I am not sure you appreciate the range of music he has had to cope with.

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 26 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

I believe all is now well???? a misunderstanding? so hope that lal the groups are back on board, as the thought of poor Peter playing solo is unbearable.
Maid Marion of Malatya

Scoobydoo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 26 in Discussion

Post by Scoobydoo »

I agree with Sylv, cancelling is NOT an option and nor should it be.

This is going to be a fantastic day and please do not think for one minute that just because the dancers have been cancelling then the event should be cancelled as well. The problem has been down to permissions at a public event but this has now been resolved with the full co-operation of Girne Belediye and the Association and it is up to the individuals concerned as to whether they wish to come back on board or not.

The support and number of acts that Peter has managed to encourage to join him in both the local and expat community is fantastic (it also appears that one of the dance groups may well be performing).

So please come on down to Girne Belediye Square on Saturday from 11am. This is a first for the TRNC as no one has been brave enough (or daft enough - sorry Pete ) to tackle playing a fiddle for up to 12 hours for charity here.

We have games stalls for the kids (every child will win a prize) and food stalls for everyone. There will also be music quizes to test your knowledge.

ALL money raised is going to Tulips and there will be official locked charity boxes there for you to make your donations (so you know your money is going to Tulips directly).

Look forward to seeing you there.

Sue

Winston Churchill

sylv
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 26 in Discussion

Post by sylv »

Thank you so much Sue for all your support. Everyone should appreciate how much effort you too have put into this event.

Everybody, please show your appreciation to both Peter and Sue by turning up and supporting us on Saturday.

bigOz
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 26 in Discussion

Post by bigOz »

Thank you for the info Scoobydoo and Marion -That sounds good and I shall definitely be there with family and/or friends.
Being a TC I usually read Kıbrıs or similar Turkish language papers online, so "no, I do not read Cyprus Star very often"

I really do not know any dancers, but I used to be very good at folk dancing during my student days!

What worries me is the location of this event. Most people wo will attend need somewhere to sit and enjoy the fun for a while. That means paying for drinks at inflated prices and spending a fortune for a crowd of people. Then, one would not have enough left to contribute to the cause. It should either be organised at a location where only one establishment can benefit from the event, only if they agree to sell their drinks at a special low price as a contribution to the event - or alternatively, the restaurants and bars at the municipality square should be warned in advance of such an organisation and asked to make their own contributions for a good cause as such.

In future, I can help with a location in or around the harbour for any such charity events if the organisers contact me in advance (I do know personally many owners of the establishments )

sylv
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 26 in Discussion

Post by sylv »

Tables and chairs have been organised so people do not have to sit in the Cafes' Having said that Bafidis' and Cafe George have been very helpful in their support and lending Peter vaious items needed and storage. They also have displayed posters and have a collection box.

I think most events are held in that area, not everyone walks down to the Harbour plus that area is relatively small unless in front of the Ataturk statue. Purely acadamic anyway because Peter will not be doing another one!

Scoobydoo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 26 in Discussion

Post by Scoobydoo »

BigOz,

No excuses now as it will be in the Turkish press today or tomorrow (or so we have been told!) as Peter has good support from local musicians.

Sue

Winston Churchill

Scoobydoo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 26 in Discussion

Post by Scoobydoo »

Sylv,

It is Carole and I that should be thanking you Pete for all the hard work you have put in to help raise funds for Tulips.

So a BIG thank you from us.

See you on saturday!

Sue

Winston Churchill

sylv
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 26 in Discussion

Post by sylv »

In addition to the above, we would like to thank Lee Hickens for agreeing to take part on Saturday. This has been at very short notice and I hope you will come along at 1pm on the day and support him. But don't forget there is also lots of good music from 11am onwards. Hope to see you all there. Don't forget this is scheduled to go until late so some support during the evening would be very welcome. Friends Line Dancers will be closing the programme about 10pm.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 26 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Why not kill two birds with one stone? Go and give blood at Girne Hospital between 10am and 1pm, have a cuppa and a biscuit and then join the jollyfications at the Fiddleathon.

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 26 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

I agree sophie. giving to help the living! Blood to save lives and tulip who help save lives. and a double feel good factor as a result!

very good idea. why didn't I think of that/ Possibly becaus e my name does not mean'wisdom' but yours does!
Maid Marion of Malatya

banjo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 26 in Discussion

Post by banjo »

KHYD, Tulip, has made a page on facebook 'Fiddlathon' public event.
Use it, invite your friends, and show your support by saying YES we will be there to listen to good music and help Tulip, filling the 'boxes', so Tulip can continue helping, where help is needed, no matter your nationality.

p.s.
Marion, I know you will be there. Where is your 'big' Yes, going!

sylv
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 26 in Discussion

Post by sylv »

Peter's webpage for the Event is http://www.fiddlathon.net with all the information on it and opportunity to donate.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”