General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Jonnie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Resistance to antibiotics - MRSA

•   Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Jonnie »

Good points CIH yavas yavas and good to see some small steps being taken. I would like to see it filter down a bit but it is a step in the right direction. A friend of mine just took residence in another country, it cost over £700 not sure how long for, and as he is over 60 he is classified as retired and as such has to give employment to a local. I hate the rigmarole involved with residency and work permits and would like to see it change however I was aware of these difficulties when I chose to live here.

Hippocampus:- Where do your figures come from regarding the "highest MRSA incidences in the world" come from please, I would be interested to see the comparisons.
Some are wise and some otherwise.....

Hippocampus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: HUGE CHANGES TO RESIDENCY APPLICATION

•   Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Hippocampus »

Johnnie, it was reported in both the local and British press a while back that various countries, due to the over-the-counter availability of antibiotics and hence people taking them every time they have a bit of a sore throat or a sniffle, have a high degree of antibiotic resistant bacteria in circulation. Cyprus is one of the top culprits. Cyprus Today carried a country specific report, saying that the local medical profession are trying to make antibiotics a prescription only medication.

cyprusishome
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Post by cyprusishome »

Would be interested in seeing the actual published info on MRSA because from our visits to health care facilities here the clinicians are quite clear that there is no problem. British press would be unlikley to publish any data from here as there probably isn't any. Any quotes on Cyprus would be only RoC.

Jonnie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Jonnie »

that is what I thought CIH perhaps TRNC should not be tarred with the same brush.

Hippocampus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Hippocampus »

Not a matter of tarring with the same brush, sadly. It was reported in Cyprus today that the local medical profession had said that this country has one of the highest antibiotic resistance in the world due to over use of antibiotics.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Where and why did Residency applications and the use of antibiotics become blurred into one thread. Can the Mods not separate the two?

BLUE BUTTERFLY
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Post by BLUE BUTTERFLY »

Deputydawg. Don't you dare, it is thanks to you and your humour that a lot of us manage to stay sane, without medication.

Don't let the b.....s beat you
Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

cyprusishome
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

Post by cyprusishome »

hippo...... you are mixing topics.
Resistance to antibiotics has no direct link to MRSA. The article in question was simple stating the fact that people here have taken too many antib's over the years and when they become seriously ill it is difficult to find a drug to cure the problem. MRSA is just one of those and a very nasty one at that but so far not a problem in TRNC.

Jonnie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Jonnie »

"Not a matter of tarring with the same brush, sadly. It was reported in Cyprus today that the local medical profession had said that this country has one of the highest antibiotic resistance in the world due to over use of antibiotics."

Is not exactly:-

"Why should we have to subject ourselves once a year to an invasive procedure in a country with one of the highest incidents of MRSA in the world"

Even if we all agree that C2D is a publication of the highest standard!

Hippocampus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Hippocampus »

Johnnie and CIH, I am not as well informed as you two, to me and possibly other "men on the street" MRSA = antibiotic resistant infection/resistance or vice versa. Now I know the difference, thank you. The fact remains that we are subjected to having a needle stuck into a vein once a year as part of a long queue by a person who doesn't change gloves between patients nor disinfects the skin beforehand. Perhaps they have sharpened up on this now. I reluctantly, albeit felt insulted, went through with it last year when we could go to a lab of our choice, but being told where to go is just the last straw for me. By all means introduce these annual tests for newcomers to the country who can make the decision as to whether they wish to live with this treatment, but for those of us who have lived here for very many years and have too much invested here to up sticks and leave, it is a tad irritating.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”