General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

solic200
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Urgent: Badly injured dog what do do?

•   Message 1 of 15 in Discussion

Post by solic200 »

A lovely young pointer dog has found its way into my garden with a horrendous front leg injury, to the point where it is hanging off, and its crying like a baby.
I am lost as to what to do as tried KAR and a local vet but no answer from the phones.
May be it has been shot by a hunter?
The polce at Lapta didnt understand the position as I thought may be they could come and put it to sleep the poor thing.
If anyone knows of a vet that would turn out please call me on 05338593757

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

Re: Urgent: Badly injured dog what do do?

•   Message 2 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

How are you getting on? Has anyone made contact with you yet?
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

puppylover
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 15 in Discussion

Post by puppylover »

Soner,

I have contacted solic200 on the number given and am doing my best to assist.

solic200
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 15 in Discussion

Post by solic200 »

I have tried the only vet open which is on the Belapais rd but i would need to take the poor dog & at the moment I am without my car until later this evening by which time they will be closed, and as its badly hurt I dont really trust her although she looks at me with those help me eyes. She has had some water and is under cover so will just keep trying the vet here in Alsancak or hopefully she will last until the morning when i can contact someone.

puppylover
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 15 in Discussion

Post by puppylover »

Are you able to get a piece of rope and make a slip knot?

If so, you could try and put it round its mouth to stop it biting if it did try.

If you need transport, I am willing to come and take you to the vets.

You can contact me on the number I gave you when I called.

Judy (0533 8377706)

andrew4232
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 15 in Discussion

Post by andrew4232 »

someone must have a vets numbers that can be called to see who is the duty vet open
Karaman, its not all wax jackets and green wellies anymore

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 7 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

Surely there are vets out in the TRNC that have Emergency weekend contact numbers. If not then maybe this should be looked into and a list supplied on Kibkom. Not a nice position to be left in for both the caring person and/or the very badly injured animal.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.

Rambling Rose
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Rambling Rose »

I believe they are SUPPOSED to have a rota system with one on standby like the Chemists, and they should all put that number on an answering machine, but it seems to have broken down.

I have given the op the number of a Vet I knew in Lefkoşa, who did home visits routinely, but dont know if he will come out on a late Sunday evening.

Its a pretty bad situation for those who live alone. I had a dog poisoned and it might have been saved if I hadnt had to spend time finding someone to help me get it to the only Vet open - again in Lefkosa - because I couldnt drive and control the dog, who was having fits, at the same time. As it was I had no time to find where the poison came from and had to leave my other dog at home at risk.

At the risk of being attacked again for criticising KAR I do think that (particularly when they try so hard to get people to adopt animals) they should at least have something on their answerphone and website to direct people in emergencies.

You would be doing a great service if you could find out and get emergency numbers published here, Soner, but with respect it is not necessarily the first place a lot of people would think of looking.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 9 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

It would be good if they (KAR) could have it published and updated regularly on their website, also to have a list of local Vets that would be willing to deal with emergencies such as the one on this thread.
Will look into this, but if anyone have any better ideas to put forward, it would be good to hear from them.

puppylover
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 15 in Discussion

Post by puppylover »

It would be a good idea if the Cyprus Star and the Cyprus Today had a weekly listing of vets on call for emergencies outside of the clinic hours.

The Cyprus Today have contact numbers for nearly everything including duty chemists.

I will talk to my vet and see if she can suggest something.

woodspeckie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 15 in Discussion

Post by woodspeckie »

What happened to the dog did you get a vet eventually?

solic200
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 15 in Discussion

Post by solic200 »

I tried several numbers given to me by so many caring people, but there was not a vet that could do a home visit and it was getting very late, so after a very sleepless night the dog came through ok, and this morning I telephoned KAR at 0900am and by 11.00am a really caring chap called julian turned up and carried the dog to the van and then to the vet.
The dog had worse injuries than we had first thought, as when julian picked it up it had the same wounds on the other side.
I would like to especially thank puppylover for the kind offer of transport and to the staff at Kar and of course to everyone that rang during the course of the night.
I never realised what a nightmare it could be on a weekend and especially on a sunday, and not a position I would like to find myself in again.
Again many thanks to everyone.

Steve

Lilyross
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Lilyross »

that was a terrible situation to be in ...its very frightening , we had similar with the half dead greyhound that turned up ( AKA Riley ) luckily KAR came to our aid the next day as they did for you ,you did your best for the poor dog and thats all that can be done without professional help , the dog is in good hands now whatever the outcome ...good on you for caring ,

puppylover
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 15 in Discussion

Post by puppylover »

I agree with Lilyross...well done for caring Steve.

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 15 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

Yes it does seem very hard to get help for injured animals. Only a week ago somebody left a kitten in a box on one of my customer’s gate posts. Unfortunately I let it out before realising a dog had broken its back. After finally getting it back in to the box I took it to the nearest vet who told me he couldn't help as it was not my cat and he suggested I rang KAR who advised I took it into Girne. Unfortunately this is when my emotions took over I told the vet how you can call yourself a vet is beyond me and maybe a bit more. I then went into Freddies to ask if anyone could take the poor kitten into Girne, as I had work to do, unfortunately I think I came across as some hysterical nutter so received no help. The poor thing was with me until around 16:30 - 17:00 before we got to Funda when it was proved the poor thing had very little chance of recovering. I suppose he had a day of comforting words, instead of sitting in a box burning up on a gate post.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”