General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

stereotomy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Home Schooling?

•   Message 1 of 6 in Discussion

Post by stereotomy »

Now that 1 gbp = 9,28 (and going up), I had to remove my child from Necat British, which is a great school. I just can't afford £5100/year. She has completed 4 last year.

However, maybe there's someone here who may be willing to home tutor such children. I am willing to pay £200/month for english (and maths, if possible but that's not that important) classes according to the British curriculum. https://uk.ixl.com/ has great courses online. English is what matters to me as other subjects are more or less universal and well-thought in public schools.

Maybe someone with an education background could do the tutoring? And even better, maybe we could find other pupils to form a small class? If everyone pays £200/month, that would make a considerable sum. I may be able to speak to two other parents that I know.

I am just thinking out loud. Maybe it won't work out, maybe it will. I don't know.

Any ideas?

P.S. If I cannot find anyone, I will try to do this anyway.
Last edited by stereotomy on Thu 06 Aug 2020 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE6Fz01Q2WI

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Home Schooling?

•   Message 2 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

I think that the pandemic has changed the way education will be delivered in the future. Some students, especially those that are self motivated have enjoyed and indeed thrived from online learning using platforms such as Microsoft Teams and Google Classroom.

Private schools are finding these times challenging. No school being provided means that parents are less willing / able (if out of work themselves) to pay the often high fees required to place their children into school. That is why private schools have had to be proactive and provide a high quality online education package during these times.

With no solution to COVID-19 in near sight, I think that a lot of online schools / tutoring services will be the way things go for some.

I work in the education sector in the Middle East and have lots of teachers of all subjects as close contacts. Let me know if you would like me to get a price for some online tutoring. I would also need more information upon syllabus, desired exam board etc.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 3 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Stereotomy, I do not want to put a damper on your ambitions or to appear negative, but before you advance much further, I would advise consulting the education authorities and teaching unions, as this sector is tightly controlled.

You may well get away with private , one-on-one 'additional coaching' in a specific subject, but 'multiple pupils in one location' begins to bear resemblance to a 'school'...

Please save yourself from future grief by investigating potential issues before proceeding.

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

Keithcaley wrote:
Thu 06 Aug 2020 8:17 am

You may well get away with private , one-on-one 'additional coaching' in a specific subject, but 'multiple pupils in one location' begins to bear resemblance to a 'school'...

Please save yourself from future grief by investigating potential issues before proceeding.
Agreed. If it is a small school that he is after then that would be problematic as regulations would need to be met for any small school / tutor centre.

However, if it is online learning being hosted in another country, then that is different.

My wife, who is a science teacher is looking to quit work as a traditional teacher and work for an online school. With the way things are at the moment, I can see a lot of teachers / parents / students going for this option.

Times are a changing in my opinion.

The link for the online school is below;

https://interhigh.co.uk/

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 6 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Have to agree with KC. About 6 years I worked at one of the private schools (Assistant to Head Mistress but not a teacher) and the Union and Government Education department was pretty strong then. From my understanding they are even tighter now. I can see where you are coming from Stereotomy but tread carefully.

stereotomy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 6 in Discussion

Post by stereotomy »

Hmm.. thanks all for your guidance, this forum is proving very useful!

I think I'll go with online tutoring. Their price is very reasonable by all means.

Others& Keith thanks too! I will definitely regard your advice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE6Fz01Q2WI

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”