General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

judyvin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Warning when paying by revolut

•   Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

Post by judyvin »

I have just done a shop at Supreme and checked my Revolut balance when I got home to find that I had been charged in £.
I always check the card machine to make sure it shows the total in TL and it did today. However on checking the card receipt it seems that the conversion + 3% commission was done prior to the claim for the payment was sent to Revolut. My Revolut a/c just shows a £ transaction. The card machine used was TEB. I have receipt from a TEB machine earlier in the week, from Supreme, and there was no conversion applied so not sure why it occurred today. Fortunately it was a small shop.

IPMAN
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Warning when paying by revolut

•   Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

Post by IPMAN »

Thats happened to a friend of ours with the TEB machine! - not sure if its just Revolut cards though?

Mr Chinnery
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Mr Chinnery »

It’s not Revolut it’s the shop/bank applying dynamic conversion. TEB machine seems to be the main culprit.

Make sure you check the window before inputting PIN and tell shop you only want to pay in TL.

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

they are all at it must be an earner for the shop as well
1 It happened when I bought £1000 worth of furniture would have cost £30 more went and made them credit the amount and then recharge in TL
Same in Eire charged in £ instead of Euro back to reception and redid in Euro

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

I warned about this the other week as same happened to me in Şah. After inputting your pin hold on to the card machine, if it asks a question tell the cashier you want to pay in Lira, they should hit the red button to do this, cancelling the dynamic currency conversion(DCC) otherwise it should just print off the receipt. Since my complaint at Şah, the staff have been told to cancel DCC but these machines are becoming more commonplace, at the moment it's only happened to me with TEB machines.

BTW it displays the transaction in TL on the machine when it's passed to you, AFTER you input your pin it will allow the operator to change the currency that's why it's important to hold on to the machine until your can make sure you're charged in Lira.

It will happen with any non local cards, debit or credit.
Last edited by come_on_aylin on Thu 06 Aug 2020 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hair Cut
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Hair Cut »

IPMAN wrote:
Thu 06 Aug 2020 12:01 pm
Thats happened to a friend of ours with the TEB machine! - not sure if its just Revolut cards though?

It's not, it can apply to any card, its Dynamic Currancy Conversion.

I posted about it some weeeks ago.

Its the new POS machines the banks are passing on to there customers, it makes the banks and the shops/restarunts money.

When they pass the card machine to you check and hand back to them if it shows Steriling or Euro they can press an option to take the money in local currancy. If not walk out and leave your shopping for them to put back on the selves.

The indicator
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

Post by The indicator »

After reading this topic I make sure the cashier use Cardplus machine so far not a single issue.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”