General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

judyvin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Best router to buy and where from?

•   Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

Post by judyvin »

I brought a brand new Talk Talk hub back with me in January and was getting superb wifi speeds, even 40 m away at our gate. Now, whilst the speed is still pretty good inside it is dire as soon as I move out onto our terrace. I am therefore looking to change it for something that works perfectly here unless anyone can throw any light as to why the hub is no longer performing properly?

Bogaz58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Best router to buy and where from?

•   Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Bogaz58 »

You can get new routers from Laconic, I'm sure others supply them as well. I have a newish TP link router, it works well, can't tell you the model, it has 3 antenna.

Butterflyaway
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Butterflyaway »

China Bazaar, just over half the price of Laconic/MM.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

When purchasing a router from somewhere other than your Internet Service Provider (ISP) , you could benefit from taking it into your ISP for them to set it up.

The reason for this is that the receiving dishes used by some ISPs incorporate a router (that's the bit which ensures that incoming data is sent to the device that requested it - phone, pad, TV, computer, whatever) - and so your new wireless router needs to be configured as a simple 'bridge' between the dish and your devices, otherwise you will suffer from 'double routing' :) - and that could slow your connection down.

Don't worry about understanding any of this - just get your ISP to make sure the thing is properly set up!

MnM
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

Post by MnM »

What about Mains Wi-Fi Extenders?

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

As far as I know, there's not an issue with wifi extenders or Powerline adaptors with wifi.

Always hapoy to be corrected if anyone knows different :)

MikeK
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

Post by MikeK »

Bought one from Borovin (next to Cartridge shop Girne), three months ago, works well. Our existing one, signal dropped off to bedroom, this now gives full signal. Paid about £40.00. We never have any luck with "plug & play" but this had simple instructions and worked instantly.

Bomdas
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Bomdas »

Your existing router was fine, but now not so much, particularly when you are outside.

Maybe someone nearby has started using 'your' wifi channel and you need to change to get clear reception once again, because they are interfering with the wifi signal.
Maybe the internet cable which joins your router to the dish outside has been cooked, trampled or blown about once too often. A wonky wire sometimes means errors which slow stuff down.

Your router should have a manual or leaflet which helps you to fiddle with your wifi channel, or if you prefer to give money and delegate there are many 'nerds' around who could do that simple thing, and maybe rule it out.
A new cable over the roof might be your internet provider, or an more athletic 'nerd'.

If all of that fails - well, then and only then look for another router - unless you already have suspicions - maybe it smells funny after that last power cut or gets really hot?

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”