Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Burglary Ozankoy

•   Message 1 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

Hi Everyone,
Just to let you know we were burgled today, please be aware they are in the area.

ozankoys
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Burglary Ozankoy

•   Message 2 of 65 in Discussion

Post by ozankoys »

Very sorry to hear this, where in Ozankoy are you the village covers a wide area?

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

We live on the road leading to the village from Erdiners supermarket.

ozankoys
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 65 in Discussion

Post by ozankoys »

Unfortunately a quick exit back to the main road then. I hope you can soon recover.

Brinsley
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Brinsley »

Police more interested in car check stops than dealing with real crime, easier work load!

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

To be fair the police were here very quick, scenes of crime officer as well. They were very thorough. Third time unlucky for us (:Z)( (:"()

Brinsley
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Brinsley »

Better stop hoarding the 'brinks mat' gold heist under your floorboards!!

Terrible state of affairs when such things exist here. My sympathies are with you.

gates
Business contributing to forum
Business contributing to forum

•   Message 8 of 65 in Discussion

Post by gates »

Perhaps it someone u know seems funny keep picking you

jackvern
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 65 in Discussion

Post by jackvern »

Sorry to hear this. Had the same experience two years ago but the police caught the guy and we got most of our property back.
Don’t give up hope. I have sent you an email.

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

Hi,
Thank you. When I click on the link its a blank screen, it tells me to contact the board administrator?

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

Insurance advise: The insurance company came this morning, cut a long story short, we are not covered for the cash and jewellery stolen because it was not in a safe. Yes we do have a safe with most of our valuables in there and important documents however, the safe has to be one of those large ones you see in a bank! The size of a mini van!
We are covered in the insurance policy for 50.000 pounds contents and the insurance is not cheap.
We are advised to list, list list, everything you think is valuable and take photographs and values. In addition your "stuff" cannot be over 4 years old, if it is, tough you wont get anything. very disappointed really, the cash stolen was every day use cash. My better half bought me a Gucci watch for my birthday 20 years ago inscribed on the back that has gone. Please check your insurance policy to see what you are covered for and what you are not, I would hate anyone to go through this.

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

Mollie the cat wrote:
Tue 23 Mar 2021 8:27 am
Insurance advise: The insurance company came this morning, cut a long story short, we are not covered for the cash and jewellery stolen because it was not in a safe. Yes we do have a safe with most of our valuables in there and important documents however, the safe has to be one of those large ones you see in a bank! The size of a mini van!
We are covered in the insurance policy for 50.000 pounds contents and the insurance is not cheap.
We are advised to list, list list, everything you think is valuable and take photographs and values. In addition your "stuff" cannot be over 4 years old, if it is, tough you wont get anything. very disappointed really, the cash stolen was every day use cash. My better half bought me a Gucci watch for my birthday 20 years ago inscribed on the back that has gone. Please check your insurance policy to see what you are covered for and what you are not, I would hate anyone to go through this.
Who are you insured with please?

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

It would be wrong for me to name the insurance company on here. The point I was trying to make is, you dont know what you are covered for until you have to make a claim, suffice to say they are well known in the TRNC, please look at the small print of your policy before its to late.
Just take a few minutes to go around your property and make a list you wont be sorry you did so.

Mr Chinnery
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Mr Chinnery »

So I suppose if stuff has to be under 4 years old there is really no point in having contents insurance.

MnM
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 15 of 65 in Discussion

Post by MnM »

Sorry to read about this Mollie and we hope you get back to normal asap. If you're interested we have business friends in TRNC that we've known for donkeys years and we've just renewed our policy with them again having looked at other options. They're just round the corner from you. Might be worth a chat, if you want i can pm their details and whilst i don't mean to bolt the proverbial stable door etc, they may be able to help with an alarm and CCTV if you wanted to consider that route as well, (edit - having just read your other thread further down).
Last edited by MnM on Tue 23 Mar 2021 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

Thank you, I know what you mean about the horse has bolted, a company are calling today to give us an estimate of installation for cctv.

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

Insuring my Fabergé egg would be pointless then.... Maybe we should all give the insurance industry a shock and ditch contents insurance.... The loss of revenue might make them reconsider their stance.

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

Mr Chinnery wrote:
Tue 23 Mar 2021 8:54 am
So I suppose if stuff has to be under 4 years old there is really no point in having contents insurance.
Correct, I am seriously thinking of not renewing our policy, I know that sounds daft but basically unless the house catches fire or a plane lands on it I dont think its worth it, in addition, unlike the UK there is no new for old policy in the TRNC.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 65 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Mollie the Cat, we had some friends (since moved to Turkey) who had a burglary in Lapta and found the loopholes offered by their Ins. Co., were so ridiculous as was the excess needed to pay by the Insured that they there and then decided to Self Insure. i.e. they opened a specific bank account and contributed a fixed amount every month in it, and agreed that it would not be touched for any reason whatsoever other than burglary etc., When, a couple of years later, they had their garage broken into and garden tools and and some garden furniture stolen they liaised with the Police who agreed that the chances of recovery were almost nil. So, their Self Insurance account came in very useful, only withdrawing what was absolutely necessary.

compass
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 65 in Discussion

Post by compass »

Hi Mollie the Cat,

I am very sorry for your troubles, especially with the insurance cover (or not). Would it be insensitive of me to ask how they entered your property please? and was it during the hours of darkness or a daytime burglary.

There is a furnished but unoccupied house next to us (also in Ozankoy nearer to Tropican Bar) that has just had a window broken - poice say no one actually entered the property though and nothing taken.

Did your burglars enter through breaking a window or forcing a door - it will help others trying to make improvements to their security.

Thank you so much for sharing your story.

Compass

13roman58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 65 in Discussion

Post by 13roman58 »

Mollie the cat wrote:
Tue 23 Mar 2021 9:13 am
Thank you, I know what you mean about the horse has bolted, a company are calling today to give us an estimate of installation for cctv.
Extremely sorry for your loss not helped by your insurance company.
If you have time could you please advise of the cost of cctv and the name of the company, either here or PM

Thanks.

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

compass wrote:
Tue 23 Mar 2021 1:58 pm
Hi Mollie the Cat,

I am very sorry for your troubles, especially with the insurance cover (or not). Would it be insensitive of me to ask how they entered your property please? and was it during the hours of darkness or a daytime burglary.

There is a furnished but unoccupied house next to us (also in Ozankoy nearer to Tropican Bar) that has just had a window broken - poice say no one actually entered the property though and nothing taken.

Did your burglars enter through breaking a window or forcing a door - it will help others trying to make improvements to their security.

Thank you so much for sharing your story.

Compass
They entered the property between 09.30 and 12.30. The problem we have is that at the back of our house its a huge olive grove, they came over the wall went to the front of the villa where there are no grills on the window, smashed a small window put their hand through released the lock and climbed in. Apparently this method is happening quite a lot recently. The first thing the Police said was, why dont you fit cctv and do you employ gardeners.

judyvin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 65 in Discussion

Post by judyvin »

How awful for you. Hopefully the identifiable items will be found. I assume you were out at the time?

jackvern
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 65 in Discussion

Post by jackvern »

Sorry Mollie it’s my fault. Not familiar with the system. I just wanted to know the time of the burglary as I live not far from you
And had a strange bloke in our street at 3,45pm.the same day. Obviously not connected due to time lapse. We have CCTV and it helped catch our burglar two years ago. Would advise some system of security as times are changing. You also have a lot of building work just up the road from you. Give me a call on 0533 849 3078 if I can help. So sorry it happened it’s a violation and totally unsettles you.

Panchocat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Panchocat »

We have friends in Ozankoy who were burgled two weeks ago. Up near the old Russian restaurant. Daytime break in money and a gold bracelet taken. They managed to get into the safe. Third house in that road to be burgled. No visible signs of entry. Beware folks.

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

13roman58 wrote:
Tue 23 Mar 2021 2:24 pm
Mollie the cat wrote:
Tue 23 Mar 2021 9:13 am
Extremely sorry for your loss not helped by your insurance company.
If you have time could you please advise of the cost of cctv and the name of the company, either here or PM

Thanks.
A company called this morning and carried out a survey. To install 8 cameras on the villa with an app on your phone, 1050 sterling which I think is a good price, to cover every inch of the property by that I mean the pool, carport Etc would have needed 15 cameras, we are having the villa covered from all angles. The company are called Boravin 0392 815 6805. Obviously that price is for our villa yours may be different.

compass
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 65 in Discussion

Post by compass »

Many thanks for all that Mollie the Cat, very helpful.

Compass

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

Stop press: A friend just called me, he had 4 cameras fitted by a computer shop recently, 1500 TL which is hard to believe he is chuffed with them, includes installation and an app. Will get the details later.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 29 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

Mollie the cat, so sorry to hear what happened.
I had brought over 4 cctv cameras from UK. Had an electrician fit for me over here, all in all did not cost more than £200. What you need to know though, is that you need a Static IP address for your cameras to work with your mobile phone app. Your internet provider can set this up for you.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 65 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

Mollie agree with Soner on pricing fitted cameras in the UK after a burglary £200 and a large child to fit it
Went for a small internal camera it points at the window where the burglars entered all through the router
for price checking
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-CCTV-Came ... s+for+Home

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

Thank you Soner and Wanderer and everyone for your continued support, the Police have a fantastic record in catching thieves, fingers crossed.

thornaby
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 32 of 65 in Discussion

Post by thornaby »

What left me " gob smacked " I is how these "builders" think if is a good idea to fit security bars in front of windows held in by wood screws, maybe the burglers have never hear of a screwdriver.
Resolved by securing them with rawl type bolts with shear nuts that will need a grinder to remove, not rocket science!

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Hedge-fund »

Genuine question. What's the point of a camera if a burglar wears a mask?

I used to be a claims manager in insurance. My advice to people was always.........let a burglar look at your house and think....next door will be easier.

Alarms & locks.

The Queen was broken into as was Prince Charles. A decent burglar can get in anywhere. You just have to convince them your place is too much hassle compared to somewhere else.

A camera will not deter a determined burglar. Fear of being caught doing the burglary will.

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 34 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

I have just been informed of a burglary yesterday in Catalkoy where the occupier was threatened by the offender with a pair of scissors! This place is getting worse. I dont know any further details.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 35 of 65 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Did the offender hang around long enough to have a mobile phone camera aimed at him, from whatever angle?

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 36 of 65 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Hedge-fund wrote:
Fri 26 Mar 2021 12:11 am

A decent burglar can get in anywhere. You just have to convince them your place is too much hassle compared to somewhere else.
100% true. Security systems will at best delay. It’s the same with car immobilisers none are full proof.
I remember years ago speaking to someone who was shall we say ’handy’ who told me the best immobiliser could be bypassed in 10-12 minutes but that was too long to be risk free.
As ever it’s risk v reward and what keeps crime down is they do give long sentences here but we have to acknowledge that the lockdown has left people desperate.
You cannot stop a professional but you can delay an opportunist.
I also don’t think it is wise to advertise how much insurance cover you have. I read £50,000 of contents cover means you have £50,000 worth of stuff worth nicking so how good are your locks and alarms?
Posting pictures of your villa on Facebook and the like is asking for trouble too.

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 37 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

The 50,000 pound cover was in the case of say a serious fire where we lost everything, and we didnt post a picture of our villa on facebook.

On a different note, apparently the Police have someone in custody, they searched their property and found a hoard of jewelry, lets hope our stuff is there?

judyvin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 38 of 65 in Discussion

Post by judyvin »

Hi Mollie, do you have details of the computer company who installed your friend's system?

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 39 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

I did put it on the thread you started about CCTV but here it is. Boravin, 0392 815 6805.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 40 of 65 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Mollie the cat wrote:
Fri 26 Mar 2021 2:02 pm
The 50,000 pound cover was in the case of say a serious fire where we lost everything, and we didnt post a picture of our villa on facebook.

On a different note, apparently the Police have someone in custody, they searched their property and found a hoard of jewelry, lets hope our stuff is there?
Fingers crossed for you.
It wasn't necessarily aimed at you it was just a general observation that people can overshare on social media which can be accessed by the wrong sort

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 41 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

As I've said to my parrot, in confidence, a thousand times. 'The gold and jewellery is buried in the garden...'

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 42 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Police arrested a man yesterday three hours after he robbed a house in Catalkoy while the owners were there! Most of their stuff was recovered. He was identified by another lady whose house he robbed previously .

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 43 of 65 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

It just goes to show how desperate some people must be, to break in/enter during daylight when people are at home. I am not excusing them in the slightest, and my sympathies are with the victims here. Must have been really frightening.

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 44 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

We are attending the Police station Sunday to see If any of our property is there. The offender tried to change a large amount of sterling in an exchange shop, the Police were alerted and the offender caught. He lives very locally half a mile from where we live.

Panchocat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 45 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Panchocat »

Our friends also attended the police station and the jewellery items stolen were there.
Not the money though...

thornaby
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 46 of 65 in Discussion

Post by thornaby »

I bought and brought from Argos UK a security product called Blink, part of the Amazon group. It consists of two cameras connected by wi fi to my tablet, phone etc. Easy to install and low cost at around £140 , worth checking out, it works for me!

TAC
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 47 of 65 in Discussion

Post by TAC »

thornaby wrote:
Sun 28 Mar 2021 1:18 pm
I bought and brought from Argos UK a security product called Blink, part of the Amazon group. It consists of two cameras connected by wi fi to my tablet, phone etc. Easy to install and low cost at around £140 , worth checking out, it works for me!

thanks for posting I did indeed look at the product here is a good link https://www.security.org/security-cameras/blink/
I am looking for a system so I can monitor my place from the UK this system looks like it could do the job :+1:)
I'm leaving now to go find myself....if I arrive before I get back, please ask me to wait!

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 48 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

thornaby wrote:
Sun 28 Mar 2021 1:18 pm
Does it record?
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 49 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

I know the horse has bolted but we are having CCTV fitted Wednesday.

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 50 of 65 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

Mollie the cat wrote:
Sat 27 Mar 2021 4:59 pm
We are attending the Police station Sunday to see If any of our property is there. The offender tried to change a large amount of sterling in an exchange shop, the Police were alerted and the offender caught. He lives very locally half a mile from where we live.
Hope your property was there

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”