General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Speed camera detectors

•   Message 1 of 24 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Not that I speed as a normal occurrence but I have noticed a large number of new cameras have sprouted along the roadsides in the past 18 months whilst I have been hiding at home away from Covid!

I own a detector that apparently is no longer supported by the company (ERA I think) that used to work really well, sadly many years of being abandoned in a drawer means it no longer holds a charge and picks up zero cameras as well - handy as a paperweight nothing else.

So I am now in the market for a new one if anyone can offer advice on where to purchase I would be grateful. Many thanks.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

a1sysman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Speed camera detectors

•   Message 2 of 24 in Discussion

Post by a1sysman »

If you or a passenger have the Waze app on your smart phone and you use the app along your journey - surely you don’t need to be reminded / warned of static speed cameras on your own turf - Waze can give you the heads up if a static speed camera is ahead.

Wazers, those that use the Waze app - can add information useful to other drivers, for example broken down vehicle(s), pot hole(s), police, camera, etc etc ahead.

As you come to pass a Wazer notified point of interest you will be asked to confirm if the issue warned about is still there, or not. This helps keep the information / warnings current for other Wazers.

Yes, Waze works well in north Cyprus - and down south.

It’s free too.

Goes without saying don’t use the phone whilst driving. Everything l have said about Wazer contribution can be done by passenger or whilst the vehicle is stationary.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/waze-navi ... d323229106

…. also available for Android devices.
libens volens potens

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 24 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

a1sysman, thanks for that, I will give it a try - or the wife will while I race around the country - lol. Good that it works in the South as well but do I need to have constant WiFi connection? I have it in the North but not in the South, also think it’s time I joined the real world again and got a new iPhone with a bigger screen than the old 5SE I use.

a1sysman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 24 in Discussion

Post by a1sysman »

waddo wrote:
Mon 19 Jul 2021 8:11 pm
a1sysman, thanks for that, I will give it a try - or the wife will while I race around the country - lol. Good that it works in the South as well but do I need to have constant WiFi connection? I have it in the North but not in the South, also think it’s time I joined the real world again and got a new iPhone with a bigger screen than the old 5SE I use.
iPhone 5SE screen is fine for Waze, IMHO.

Waze gives clear verbal instruction so it is not necessary to view the screen once the journey is set and you are on your way.

No internet away from home (north or south)? See here https://mygpstools.com/waze-gps-navigat ... fline-maps

… not tried offline maps myself as l have phone internet north and south.
libens volens potens

MnM
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 5 of 24 in Discussion

Post by MnM »

As with yourself waddo I don't speed knowingly, but I've always found the Radarbot app works very well in NC as does Google Maps, both in which you can add new fixed camera and mobile camera locations as well as general police presence, congestion, accidents and other motoring details. Of course any such app is only as effective as the frequency and accuracy at which the databases are updated. On a side note, apparently, the UK Police now have long range speed cameras in use with up to one mile detection range, which if true, will outdo any "safety camera" app well in advance.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 24 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

MnM, Thanks for that, have loaded Waze onto my iPad and will take it for a trial run later today, one app at a time or I get confused easily - lol. The UK Police will have a hard job catching me speeding unless their new long range cameras can spot me over here - lol, not been in UK for nearly 15 years now and have absolutely zero intentions of ever going back again. Home is where your heart is and ours are firmly fixed in TRNC. Not tried Radarbot app yet but it is also on the list of things to do, at this rate I will never get out on the road again by the time I have installed and deleted and installed until I find one simple enough for me to understand. If only there was an App that would tell me when a speed limit started and more importantly when it then stopped or changed - over here it is just a guessing game - lol. Thanks again.

karmels
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 24 in Discussion

Post by karmels »

Waddo I've sent you a pm.
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves. Confucius 551-479 BC

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 24 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

karmels - nothing received - yet. Will check again in the morning.

karmels
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 24 in Discussion

Post by karmels »

Waddo there is a GPS speed camera office just up from the colony hotel, it has GPS ect high on the side of the building. It is where the tragic come out of metal alley onto the main road. I go one from them years ago but it needs to be replaced with a more modern version.
Hope this helps.
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves. Confucius 551-479 BC

RAZR63
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 24 in Discussion

Post by RAZR63 »

why not list all the cameras here?

Karsiyaka heading to Lapta - one just before Jessics
Karsiyaka heading to Lapta - one just after "H Gul" supermarket

silverfir
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 24 in Discussion

Post by silverfir »

Why not just obey the speed limit for goodness sake!

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 24 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

I don't think I have seen a speed camera here yet that hasn't given a warning of the speed limit in force for that stretch of road. If it is a road you drive often they will all ne know to you much like the sleeping Policemen. If it is a road you are not on that often then look for the signs. There are one or two new style cameras about that look nothing like the old ones so unless you are aware of them I guess you could easily sail past them without a care in the World except they are all accompanied by signs before you hit them.

It is apparent many are not aware of the way average speed cameras work as many a time I have seen drivers slow on the dual carriage way on the the road to Lefkosa for the first one and then head off at Mach 2 only to hit the brakes for the second one just before the big roundabout. I guess many of those will have a number of tickets awaiting them next time they go over the border,

a1sysman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 24 in Discussion

Post by a1sysman »

Chriswright03 wrote:
Wed 21 Jul 2021 5:32 am

It is apparent many are not aware of the way average speed cameras work …
I wasn’t aware average speed was measured by any of the cameras in use here in the TRNC. Not to say it isn’t, just that l was unaware.

I am under the impression all the speed cameras here are configured to record vehicles passing by exceeding the speed the each individual camera is set to, be it 50, 65 or whatever kpm. How this is handled on roads where various categories of vehicle have different speed limitations l have often wondered.
libens volens potens

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 24 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

My understanding is that the cameras on the dual carriageways into Lefkosa are average speed cameras. I could be wrong but I don't think I am and certainly treat them as such. Average speed cameras can tell what sort of vehicle it is by the registration number and just use the time recorded between each camera to check the speed. They are extremely accurate. Many people will drop well below the speed limit before the second one in an effort to reduce the speed recorded but if you have managed to drop enough time to stay within the limit which would be impossible to judge with any accuracy then you may as well kept within the limit as you would have saved nothing at all time wise.

I don't know the names of the roads but certainly the dual carriage way from Girne to Lefkosa once you get past the junction towards the army base on your left there is a speed camera on your left, well sing posted and everyone slows for it. Not very far after that there is a gantry across the road unlike the new ones al over town. Looking at the cameras I would say they are SPECS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPECS_(speed_camera). There is another one just before you slow for the speed limit on the approach to the big roundabout.

If you go the other way over the mountain past Buffavento and turn right at the roundabout onto the dual carriageway there is another set after the next roundabout and the second gantry is just before the first set of traffic lights but well before the speed limit changes.

I am sure someone on here will correct me if I am wrong about them being Average speed cameras but as I say I treat them as such and keep to a max of 100kmh in between them to make sure I don't fall foul.

greengate
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 24 in Discussion

Post by greengate »

Chriswright
You are correct. When it was first announced that these cameras were to be installed, there was speculation that some were for Security (number plate recognition) and traffic control - possibly this was correct. But it was also stated that 'point-top-point' (average speed) cameras would also be included.

I am also informed that depending on their siting position, the new 'D' (oval) shaped cameras (as against the square grey boxes) are capable of photographing both directions of traffic, in the direction they are facing.

Re an earlier posting, the only long range cameras i am aware of are the new radar guns, which can be hand held and used on clear roads or bridges. In the UK there are mobile ones mounted in vans.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 24 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

They did announce the other week they have new radar hand helds here. They are forever sat outside Mr Pound with them.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 24 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

There and at the Ezic Premier crossroads, frequently on a Sunday. As I know to my cost!

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 24 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

As I started this off let me ask another question. First let me repeat something my father always used to tell me - Better 5 minutes late in heaven than 5 minutes early in Hell!

Anyone seen a speed derestriction sign lately? Drive from Karakum Lemar to Sah supermarket and what speed can you drive at? When you hit the newish small roundabout then your speed should be 30, further down the road the limit is 50 and even further it is 65 but nowhere is there a derestriction posted? Some say if there is a restriction sign on the opposite side of the road that informs drivers of a new speed limit heading in the opposite direction to you, then that proves you can now drive at the new limit (unposted). So once past the 65 camera just before Cratos you are still restricted to 65, but for how far? When does the National limit for that grade of road kick in? Limit then being 80 of course. It is rare that I speed, but I am interested in limits and where new cameras are bing placed.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 24 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Isn't it just 50 in a built up area, 65 in urban and 80 rural? There seems to be little in the way of signage really which makes it a good thing that there is always a sign before any speed camera or in the case of the dual carriageways plenty of signs.

I have seen the odd very faded signs of a speed limit with a diagonal line across it out towards Essenteppe.

Mr Chinnery
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 24 in Discussion

Post by Mr Chinnery »

Chriswright,
The speed sign with line through it means it’s the end of that particular restriction.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 24 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Chris, yes, unless otherwise posted, they are the speed limits. The problem is which is which? Good instance: the back/top road from Catalkoy to Ozankoy, is it built up - no, is it urban, - sometimes or is it rural - yes & no - lol. Take a trip up 20 Tammuz Cad (or it might be Sunbal Soc - some times), parts of it are built up, rural and urban but the speed limit past my house is big yellow boot flat on the floor downhill - lol, unless it’s the weekend then it’s the motorbike brigade practicing their scrambling lack of skill on the rear wheel only - madness rules on the roads!

By the way Mr Chinnery, I think that Chriswright - a former police officer - would know what a speed derestriction sign looked like - lol.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 24 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Karmels, I understand that they have ceased trading, it is where I bought mine many years ago as well, if you find out they are still in business please let me know!

Silverfir, the whole idea of the detector is to keep you informed - not to allow you to race around between them! When, as a non Cypriot, I am aware that 1km over the limit will produce a fine for me then I am very happy to have a camera detector fitted. I do stick to speed limits whenever possible but also admit to breaking them in the cause of safety - speed does not kill people but bad drivers do! I have yet to meet any honest driver who has never, ever by accident or design, broken a posted speed limit?

Mr Chinnery
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 24 in Discussion

Post by Mr Chinnery »

Waddo, maybe I have read his last sentence wrong ‘odd’ to me means not sure what it is.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 24 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

No on this occasion. 'odd' means rarely seen.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”