General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Snakes

•   Message 1 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

Yesterday evening we were out walking up in the mountains in Esentepe. We were walking along and suddenly a snake shout out across our path, literally in front of us. It coiled up and snarled at us. Wife screamed, I kind of froze and put the rucksack that I was carrying in my hand in front of me as defence. I then stepped back a little bit and the snake shot off into the bushes. Was a pretty close call and it proper scared us. It was a black snake so to my knowledge, not venomous… although during that split second moment you just think Snake!, not is it venomous or not.

Anyway, I realised that had we had been bitten, I’m not quite sure what we would have done. All of the local pharmacies were closed. Would we phone an ambulance and if so, is the number 112?

I wouldn’t care but I normally take a walking stick with me for protection but I’d left it in the car.

TIA

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Snakes

•   Message 2 of 15 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

I saw a 5 to 7 footer the other day at around 7ish.
Obviously had waited until the surface temperature dropped enough to make it's journey which neatly tied in with the time I take the dog for its evening stroll for the same reason.
Luckily I saw it before the dog did.
Run back for camera hoping to verify my fisherman's story.
Head Office followed not long after to have a look.
When she asked where it had been I admit to a certain amount of joy telling her the last time I saw it was exactly where she was standing. :)

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Mon 26 Jul 2021 11:04 am
Obviously had waited until the surface temperature dropped enough to make it's journey which neatly tied in with the time I take the dog for its evening stroll for the same reason.
When she asked where it had been I admit to a certain amount of joy telling her the last time I saw it was exactly where she was standing. :)
What colour was it?

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 15 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Trigger wrote:
Mon 26 Jul 2021 4:11 pm
EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Mon 26 Jul 2021 11:04 am
What colour was it?
Black

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

They still make you jump and as I said, the first thing that comes into your head is snake not is it venomous. Apparently the bite can still be quite painful though.

kedikat2903
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 15 in Discussion

Post by kedikat2903 »

If you get bitten by a snake. Get someone to drive you to the nearest hospital. They will have the antidote. Take photo of snake if you can. Keep the affected limb lower than your heart(don’t raise your arm/leg) Put an ice pack over the area if you have one. Try not to move around to much. Don’t run. Try not to panic(not easy) It takes a while for the venom to do anything. You should have plenty of time to get to a hospital. DON’T try to suck or squeeze the venom out. DON’T cut the area with a knife. Just cover it with a clean cloth and apply ice pack if possible.

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

kedikat2903 wrote:
Tue 27 Jul 2021 6:16 am
If you get bitten by a snake. Get someone to drive you to the nearest hospital. They will have the antidote. Take photo of snake if you can. Keep the affected limb lower than your heart(don’t raise your arm/leg) Put an ice pack over the area if you have one. Try not to move around to much. Don’t run. Try not to panic(not easy) It takes a while for the venom to do anything. You should have plenty of time to get to a hospital. DON’T try to suck or squeeze the venom out. DON’T cut the area with a knife. Just cover it with a clean cloth and apply ice pack if possible.
Thank you for that information. Would it also be worth trying to stop the circulation too? For example, if it but my lower leg, tie something around my thigh?

kedikat2903
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 15 in Discussion

Post by kedikat2903 »

Tourniquet not advised as it would concentrate the venom around the bite and could cause necrosis. Better to let the venom get diluted in the blood.

kbasat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 15 in Discussion

Post by kbasat »

Black Snake video by NaturePark https://www.facebook.com/watch/?ref=sea ... 5120597015

1190 Wildlife Support line is the number to call for wildlife advice.
Attachments
221764186_928199151363170_201836144482397593_n.jpg
( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°) Haters will see you walk on water and say it’s because you can’t swim. ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
-----
https://www.facebook.com/taskentdogaparki/

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 10 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

kedikat2903 wrote:
Tue 27 Jul 2021 6:35 pm
Tourniquet not advised as it would concentrate the venom around the bite and could cause necrosis. Better to let the venom get diluted in the blood.
:+1:) :+1:)

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 15 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Ditto Ditto Ditto Ditto KC. Please no tourniquet, will do more harm than good.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 12 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

I've been looking for this - found it at last!
Attachments
The 9 snakes of Cyprus.jpg

helendj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 15 in Discussion

Post by helendj »

kedikat that is very valuable information! i for one would have raised the arm up above heart level, so pleased you have shared this info with everyone, it could actually save a life. thank you!

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

Thank you for the information, very useful to know. I’m sure it was Bear Grylls who mentioned about tourniquet if you were bitten… good to know that it is not advised. Keeping the bite lower than your heart is good to know too.

Thanks for the replies. Hope I never bump into the really venomous snake… think i would panic!

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 15 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Have met a few in the garden and swimming pool but someone in the group has to stay a calm as possible, particularly of dogs are jumping all over the place and the pool man has run a mile.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”