General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Geoff1131
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Ginger ale or similar

•   Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Geoff1131 »

Hi i am undergoing chemo treatment at the moment and have found that sipping ginger ale seems to take away the nausea. But have only been able to find the odd very small tins of it in the supermarkets. Does anyone know of anywhere selling the larger bottles that you can find in the uk ie around one litre size?

Geoff

techtrader
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Ginger ale or similar

•   Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

Post by techtrader »

You can get local version 250ml bottles here freely in the supermarkets it is called Zencefilli & the most common brands are Uludag or Beyoglu both are very nice and I have seen the latter in packs of 6.

ozankoys
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Post by ozankoys »

Hello sorry to hear of your health problems have not seen larger bottles but you can buy a 250 ml Turkish brand bottle Uladag
Zencefil (the photo is their Tonic water) & also at a much higher price but more authentic The London Essence 200 ml from Sah or Erdener
F6324D1F-8DA8-4A2E-AF75-4E9C057C5CAC.jpeg

Geoff1131
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Geoff1131 »

Thanks for the replies guys. I thought there would be a turkish brand , shows i should really have got to grips with the language before now.

Thanks again Geoff

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Sorry that you are having a difficult time Geoff. Ginger is really good for nausea. Wonder if a ginger syrup would be of any help to you, and then you can add water or soda? It's just fresh ginger, sugar and water, maybe a bit of lemon. Would be happy to make you some if you are not able.

Geoff1131
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Geoff1131 »

Hi alphamike, thats very kind of you. I can get fresh ginger from my local market, can you tell me what i do to make the syrup? i'm sure i could do it, and as you say adding water or soda water will make it into a nice drink. It seems that it is the only thing i have found to take the nausia away. But i am ok , i'm getting there.

Geoff

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Glad to hear that you are getting there.
I usually wing it with quantities. You will need fresh ginger, peeled and sliced, 1 lemon, rind and juice, sugar and water. Pop all in a pan and cook over low heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved, then bring to boil and simmer for about 30-40 mins until ginger is soft and mixture has thickened up a bit. Strain and bottle.
https://www.olivemagazine.com/drink/qui ... r-cordial/
Above link gives quantities, although it uses citric acid, which I have never used. Easy to get here...limon tuz, if you wish to use it.

Last winter I made cough drops which are quite pleasant, which had ginger in, amongst other stuff. Unfortunately I lost a lot of stuff when my laptop died a few months ago, but will see if I can find it again, and let you know.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Unsure if this is same recipe or not, but it looks similar.
https://www.tastyeverafter.com/wprm_print/59783

You can always make a ginger tea with a couple of slices of ginger, boiling water and add slice of lemon. Allow to infuse for about 5 mins before drinking. Sweeten with honey or sugar if you like.

Maisiemoo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Maisiemoo »

Many years ago I had surgery on a deviated septum and the nurse advised us to get a can of Coca Cola to help with any nausea afterwards. Thankfully I was ok but the others on the ward said it did help. Has to be the original though.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”