Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Brit expats leaving Spain 'in droves'

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

PoshinDevon wrote:
Tue 09 Nov 2021 7:48 pm
Is there a link to the BBC report about Brit expats leaving in droves?

I may have missed it and would be interested to read/watch and understand the evidence that the BBC may have provided.

It’s all about understanding.
No it was an article in January at least nine months before so nothing to do with the article. He also printed another article that was obviously just another paper’s lift of the same article. If you want numbers or facts they have yet to appear

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Tue 09 Nov 2021 7:54 pm

These people are less effected by financial stress or the need work for a living.
Spain , has for decades been a destination of choice for many Brits opening. bars, restaurants, real estate agencies , leisure enterprises for example. It is these enterprises and the ex pats within that have been thrust into situations of increased difficulty in making a living.

As I have said. Pre 2016 the move to Spain to live, work and enjoy was a fully legal right. This has now been forfeited and this has very likely led to the reported exodus.
It really is t not that difficult to grasp. OR is it?
Wow bar owners etc have been struggling to make a living over the last 18 months?
Any ideas why?
Give me a C.

So some business owners, again no numbers, so let’s say 2 as it’s as good a number as any you have come up with, have not been able to make a living because they either can’t or with no tourists it’s not worth opening their beach bar.
Given the circumstances they’ve decided to move in with one of their parents in the U.K.
Ok grasped it.
Bloody Brexit eh?
I just needed to use your laser sharp logical brain.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

erol wrote:
Tue 09 Nov 2021 1:34 pm

I do not see how knowing exactly how many people have left Spain and why at any given point in time is anything to do with progress, so my personal interest in that is low.

You are interested in how many people actually in reality have left Spain. As it is entirely your right to be. I am not and have tried to explain why.
So why comment?

In next weeks episode Erol attempts to explain how the Conservatives stopping the temporary rise in Universal Credit has effected the migratory habits of the Manx Shearwater

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waz-24-7 »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Tue 09 Nov 2021 9:35 pm
waz-24-7 wrote:
Tue 09 Nov 2021 7:54 pm

These people are less effected by financial stress or the need work for a living.
Spain , has for decades been a destination of choice for many Brits opening. bars, restaurants, real estate agencies , leisure enterprises for example. It is these enterprises and the ex pats within that have been thrust into situations of increased difficulty in making a living.

As I have said. Pre 2016 the move to Spain to live, work and enjoy was a fully legal right. This has now been forfeited and this has very likely led to the reported exodus.
It really is t not that difficult to grasp. OR is it?
Wow bar owners etc have been struggling to make a living over the last 18 months?
Any ideas why?
Give me a C.

So some business owners, again no numbers, so let’s say 2 as it’s as good a number as any you have come up with, have not been able to make a living because they either can’t or with no tourists it’s not worth opening their beach bar.
Given the circumstances they’ve decided to move in with one of their parents in the U.K.
Ok grasped it.
Bloody Brexit eh?
I just needed to use your laser sharp logical brain.
Thanks
I've not seen any reports or news upon your theory that Covid has led to an exodus from Spain.
Have you?

I see no logic or substance in what you post on this.

Yes indeed Brexit just keeps sending these positives...not.
please do let me know your thoughts or even a list of how we are all Brexit better!!

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by kerry 6138 »

PoshinDevon wrote:
Tue 09 Nov 2021 1:02 pm
Brazen wrote:
Tue 09 Nov 2021 12:39 pm
Perhaps this will enlighten a few people.

https://www.thelocal.es/20211022/brexit ... ids-claim/
Think you have to subscribe to read article.
Didnt have to subscribe here

According to estate agents on the Costa Blanca and Costa del Sol that spoke to The Local, there has been no uptick in sales – something that would indicate an exodus.

“We haven’t noticed an important effect one way or the other,” Giselle from Bromley Estates Marbella explained.

“We haven’t had a mass influx of people wanting to list their properties to sell.”

Another agent from Engel Voeker Benidorm said the situation was similar on the Costa Blanca.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Tue 09 Nov 2021 10:56 pm

I've not seen any reports or news upon your theory that Covid has led to an exodus from Spain.
Have you?

please do let me know your thoughts or even a list of how we are all Brexit better!!
Is English your first language or is it just reading comprehension that you struggle with.
I questioned travel experts who I assume are travel agents data because if it is based on trips to and from Spain it like travel to any other country would have been effected by Covid.
TRNC has had far less tourists this year and has a problem with stray dogs so by your logic the drop in tourism is caused by tourists having had enough of the stray dogs.
Have you heard of the Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy?

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by erol »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Tue 09 Nov 2021 9:40 pm
erol wrote:
Tue 09 Nov 2021 1:34 pm

I do not see how knowing exactly how many people have left Spain and why at any given point in time is anything to do with progress, so my personal interest in that is low.

You are interested in how many people actually in reality have left Spain. As it is entirely your right to be. I am not and have tried to explain why.
So why comment?

In next weeks episode Erol attempts to explain how the Conservatives stopping the temporary rise in Universal Credit has effected the migratory habits of the Manx Shearwater
If you read what I have said you would know I did not and have not commented on the article. Did not seek to dissect it. Had no interest in doing so. I commented on other peoples reactions to the article. After an entire page of not commenting and just watching.

Next week you will just continue to systematically deny me my identity here. You will systematically tell me and everyone else how I am a liar and insincere about everything I say and crow about how you alone have 'rumbled me'. You will systematically attack me and my character for doing things you yourself do to at least to the same degree and frequency and often far more than me or any sort of average. All whilst banging on about how much you hate hypocrisy.

You maintain your anonymity here for fear that 'people will misunderstand you'. You do this whilst you systematically and wilfully misrepresent me and other people here.

You claim I sound 'holier than thou'. Well in my book someone who never says anything about another person online and anonymously that they would not say to that persons face IS holier than someone who will only say things about another person online and anonymously but will not say the same things to their face.

You claim I sound 'holier than thou'. Well someone who does not base their arguments on telling the other person who they really are and what they really think despite anything and everything that person may say themselves is holier than someone who does. That you do this, structure you reply around what the other person really thinks but will not honestly say and around what you tell everyone they really think and believe , more than me and more than anyone, is just a matter of historical fact easily demonstrated by anyone who looks at that total documentary record we have. Take any 20 random posts of yours and count up how many of them involved you telling the other person and everyone else what they really think and what is really motivating their replies. Do the same to anyone else with 20 random posts and see what numbers you get.

You told me and everyone here that every view and opinion I had given here with regards to BLM and taking the knee was a lie. Was insincere, with intent. That really I cared nothing about racism. That my only objective and desire was to further the cause of radical Marxism. From you keyboard. You did this. I can show you where. It is ludicrous. It is not true. You know it is not true. It makes no sense. It does not add up. It is rude. It is arrogant. It is no way for an adult to reasonably behave. It is the kind of behaviour that people only do 'online' and anonymously but do not do in real life because they know they can not get away with it in real life. I do not do this kind of thing here. Not to same degree or with same frequency. Not even close. Not to you or anyone. No one does it to the degree and frequency you do. I can prove that. You will ignore it.

I will not just let you systematically deny me my right to my own identity just so you can satisfy in your head your (imo) unhealthy and extreme need to believe you have 'won the argument', have crushed your opponent, have defeated and destroyed and exposed yet another covert leftist, another extremist Marxist. Exposed yet another lying 'red under the bed'.

Now go and dismiss and ignore everything I have said with a wave of your 'word salad' wand even as you continue to wail and scream that I did not answer your question on how I have voted historically even though I HAD already answered that question and told you I had and offered to show you where I had.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waz-24-7 »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Wed 10 Nov 2021 1:08 am
waz-24-7 wrote:
Tue 09 Nov 2021 10:56 pm

Have you?

Is English your first language or is it just reading comprehension that you struggle with.
I questioned travel experts who I assume are travel agents data because if it is based on trips to and from Spain it like travel to any other country would have been effected by Covid.
TRNC has had far less tourists this year and has a problem with stray dogs so by your logic the drop in tourism is caused by tourists having had enough of the stray dogs.
Have you heard of the Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy?
Thanks,
Should i therefore review my position and take it than in fact the UK is BREXIT BETTER.
your clear skill at anecdotes and sarcasm are entertaining but hardly game changing.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Wed 10 Nov 2021 10:20 am

Thanks,
Should i therefore review my position and take it than in fact the UK is BREXIT BETTER.
No I think you should continue to scour the newspapers for any non story with zero facts to push your hope that life on Earth is going to end for the UK now we have left the EU.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

So put up the survey Erol. I’m confident.

Firstly I have no interest in meeting up for a drink. If you want company adopt a stray dog or cat.
No I never called you out on your bias before to your face because when someone tells me something I give them the benefit of the doubt but time reveal all.
Maybe you aren’t a Marxist after all you say you fear extremism although I have yet to see you ever condemn Marxism but your spiel is exactly what a Marxist’s would be.
I have to say if my son approached me and said I’m confused about my sexuality and I keep sleeping with men I’d have to tell him that he should at least entertain the theory he is gay or bisexual.
Maybe you are what Lenin called a useful idiot, you don’t really know what you are doing but are extremely handy.

Sure you don’t vote you have no interest in party politics but it is rare you don’t enter a thread on politics or start one and give your view and that view always supports the left.

You bought up the BLM thread which would be off topic so I have started another thread on it because I don’t think it was ever fully covered so let’s deal with that there.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waz-24-7 »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Wed 10 Nov 2021 11:42 am
waz-24-7 wrote:
Wed 10 Nov 2021 10:20 am

Thanks,
No I think you should continue to scour the newspapers for any non story with zero facts to push your hope that life on Earth is going to end for the UK now we have left the EU.
I have much better things to do than what you you suggest.
My posts and comments are as a result of another post that had identified and evidenced the issue.
You and some contest that post . I do not and i have explained in some detail why i take it at face value.

I think you are clutching at straws to convince yourself of BREXIT BETTER

With regard to the "hope". you couldn't be further from the truth.
The UK will survive without any doubt. it is in what form and how successfully that is a concern to me.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Wed 10 Nov 2021 12:00 pm

My posts and comments are as a result of another post that had identified and evidenced the issue.
You and some contest that post . I do not and i have explained in some detail why i take it at face value.
Ah ok so you never post any article that say's Brexit is not working?
Some have asked for some data on that article. Is it droves or is it 3 people who may have left for reasons that have nothing to do with Brexit?
You don't know and you don't care

MVP
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by MVP »

The "average" expat moves location every seven years I was told.
Even without Covid or Brexit, there will be huge numbers leaving Spain every year

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

MVP wrote:
Wed 10 Nov 2021 12:47 pm
Even without Covid or Brexit, there will be huge numbers leaving Spain every year
Don't spoil it with facts, let Waz dream there is a Hanoi/Afghanesque evacuation of Spain with helicopters on the roof of the British embassy

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waz-24-7 »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Wed 10 Nov 2021 12:21 pm
waz-24-7 wrote:
Wed 10 Nov 2021 12:00 pm

Some have asked for some data on that article. Is it droves or is it 3 people who may have left for reasons that have nothing to do with Brexit?
absolutely,
I'm not that bothered. I focus on dealing with the outfall from Brexit.

You, i guess, wallow in the some sort of empty glory and kid yourself that we are all in fact much better off in all aspects of life

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waz-24-7 »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Wed 10 Nov 2021 12:55 pm
MVP wrote:
Wed 10 Nov 2021 12:47 pm
Don't spoil it with facts, let Waz dream there is a Hanoi/Afghanesque evacuation of Spain with helicopters on the roof of the British embassy
Hmm
Great to see some undeniable evidence.
Its normal time based wastage then. Everybody happy?

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Wed 10 Nov 2021 1:38 pm

Hmm
So what is the undeniable evidence.
Expats leaving Spain in droves or expats move on every 7 years on average anyway so the amount of ex pats leaving leaving Spain might be the average amount that leave in any year?

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Wed 10 Nov 2021 1:35 pm
EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Wed 10 Nov 2021 12:21 pm

absolutely,
I'm not that bothered.
Classic :)

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waz-24-7 »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Wed 10 Nov 2021 1:54 pm
waz-24-7 wrote:

Hmm
Expats leaving Spain in droves or expats move on every 7 years on average anyway so the amount of ex pats leaving leaving Spain might be the average amount that leave in any year?
The undeniable evidence comes from
" I was told
as posted.
The evidence seeking members might consider that evidence with caution.

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Brazen »

Another website I came across during my search. Note the date!

90,000 reasons why expats are NOT leaving Spain ''in droves'
Thursday, May 8, 2014 @ 11:19 PM

CHUCK IT IN, GUYS!
THE DREAM IS AS

HEALTHY AS EVER

SPAIN'S statistical revelation that British expats have been returning to the UK ''in droves'' came as a real eye opener.

The Daily Telegraph jumped gleefully on the figures and off we went on a 'bash the Spanish dream' campaign for the umpteenth time.
The blind were leading the blind once again.

Within a couple of days, a film crew from BBC TV's The One Show were charging around the Costa Blanca seeking sob stories of debt and despair.

It all kicked off when statisticians in Madrid announced that 90,000 Brits abandoned their sunshine dreamland last year in a desperate hunt for the joys of pure English rain and rust.

The Daily Telegraph’s typically boring appraisal suggested the economic crisis, lack of work and failing health among the elderly were to blame.

Even the BBC, the world's primary bastion of broadcasting correctness, didn't dispute the figures – which suggested the Costas would be just about empty now that Easter has come and gone.

Doubts grew among local cynics when it was established the numbers had emerged from local town halls. And, more specifically, from the Padron office.

As far as thee UK media was concerned, 90,000 was 90,000 and that was that. Fact.

Padron me, but who monitored the ex-expats on their way out? Where were the Spanish bureaucracy’s red-tape records revealing who exactly had left the country?

For heaven's sake, half the Brits with homes in Spain aren't even on the Padron. And the other half couldn't tell you why it exists at all.

As for how many actually have gone home (if indeed the number of Brits in Spain isn’t increasing), we all have our own views.

One Show presenter Joe Crowley repeatedly threw the figure of 90,000 at me during an hour of filming at my home in El Raso – and I repeatedly chucked it back.

I had no idea at the time, but I was riding my chuck, I mean luck. And, sure enough, back in London the programme editors chucked my footage into the bin.

No complaints there, because I had no wish to be part of a programme dispensing misleading ‘facts’.

Personally, I believe the Spanish dream is as vividly exciting as ever for the vast majority of Brits.

The economic situation is also looking up - and had Joe spoken to local estate agents rather than voiced-over empty streets and For Sale boards, he’d have been put right on the resurgent property market.

The reality is that, against a backdrop of cranes and construction workers, a new building boom has begun.
Phill Smirke of The Property Shop is one of those professionals who insists the housing market is on the up.

He also maintains that, far from being forced to sell and leave the country, expats whose homes have plummeted in value since 2007 could well recoup every centimo by 2019.

Admittedly, the lack of work remains a killer for young families, but most of the Brits settle here when they no longer need a job.

And while supermarket shopping can be as costly as the UK, where in England can you enjoy a three-course Chinese meal for a fiver?

In a country where a couple can dine out seven days a week for 100 quid (with a bottle of decent wine thrown in), it makes no sense that 90,000 would flee.

One person who knows the REAL story is expat Phil Hughes, who works with the Guardamar del Segura council.

He revealed: ''Every council wants people on the Padrón, the list of residents from which the local government receives money from Central and Regional government for healthcare, education, major roads etc.
''So for 10 years at a time, we add as many people as we can.
''People leave but they rarely ask to come off before doing so. Therefore, when people like me are asked to 'conduct a census of foreigners' by the National Statistics Office (INE) every 10 years, they find that a huge amount of "residents" have been dead, moved, or simply never actually lived in the houses in which they were registered for many years.

“So, every 10 years, local councils with a "transient population" will have a jolt from the INE. It's just that this year, we are on the back of the worst financial crisis in memory, and so the figures appear to be a sudden event when in fact, it's the result of a 10-year 're-adjustment'.
''In the UK one would conduct a written census. Here, let's just say it's 'less than thorough'..
''The figures quoted are just plucked out of the sky. The reality is absolutely a whole lot worse, but over the last six or seven years, not just 12 months.''
Ultimately, The One Show took a non-confrontational line in their broadcast, but stuck to the figure of 90,000. A vox pop of expats produced predictable comments, which left my friend and neighbour Marjory Norris suitably unimpressed.

Like me, Marjory – who has lived in Spain fo 12 years - believes the expat community is growing rather than shrinking.
''It was much ado about nothing,'' was her verdict on the One Show broadcast.

Not quite an example of the blind leading the blind, then.

More like the bland leading the bland.

I

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Post by PoshinDevon »

Have posed this question a little earlier. Don’t seem to have a reply. If I have missed the reply then please let me know.

Waz…

I may have missed it and would be interested to read/watch and understand the evidence that the BBC may have provided.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Wed 10 Nov 2021 2:15 pm
EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Wed 10 Nov 2021 1:54 pm
waz-24-7 wrote:

Hmm
The undeniable evidence comes from
" I was told
as posted.
The evidence seeking members might consider that evidence with caution.
“ Although it takes nearly a quarter of expats more than a year to feel settled, on average they go on to spend between five and 10 years abroad, according to a new study.”

Evidence supporting that statement is here

https://www.expatnetwork.com/expats-can ... long-term/

Does it make any difference?

Thought not

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

PoshinDevon wrote:
Wed 10 Nov 2021 3:58 pm
Have posed this question a little earlier. Don’t seem to have a reply. If I have missed the reply then please let me know.

Waz…

This is the post
waz-24-7 wrote:
Sun 07 Nov 2021 6:16 pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55617849
and the BBC
The article is of zero value, and note the date.
I assume The reason Waz didn’t respond because it’s his usual throw something into the mix, get totally shot down, use the fresh discussion as an excuse to cut and post the usual stuff and off we go again

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by erol »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Wed 10 Nov 2021 11:43 am
You bought up the BLM thread which would be off topic so I have started another thread on it because I don’t think it was ever fully covered so let’s deal with that there.
Explain to me why I should not just reply to this with
You're good I'll give you that.
This translates into I want you out of this thread into another one which I can then ignore or bury in 50 paragraphs of 20 pound words which will avoid a simple question.
Your words verbatim from the end of your post here viewtopic.php?p=277077#p277077

Explain to me why it was a valid reply then in that circumstance but is not now in this. Or did you have a change of heart perhaps ?

I am too busy for this right now. I may say more here, in the other thread or I may not but if I do it will be a time that suits me which is not now.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waz-24-7 »

PoshinDevon wrote:

Waz…

I linked it in an earlier post.
If you still have doubt
google
ex pats leaving Spain BBC

plenty of stuff to read and digest,

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waz-24-7 »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Wed 10 Nov 2021 4:49 pm
PoshinDevon wrote:

Waz…

This is the post
waz-24-7 wrote:
Sun 07 Nov 2021 6:16 pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55617849
and the BBC
The article is of zero value, and note the date.
I assume The reason Waz didn’t respond because it’s his usual throw something into the mix, get totally shot down, use the fresh discussion as an excuse to cut and post the usual stuff and off we go again
Thanks for the link,
Take the report as you so wish. I detect the cloud of denial still looms thick.
I think the general theme is that Brexit is indeed causing issues of several negative types.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waz-24-7 »

Brazen wrote:
Wed 10 Nov 2021 2:28 pm
Another website I came across during my search. Note the date!

90,000 reasons why expats are NOT leaving Spain ''in droves'
Thursday, May 8, 2014 @ 11:19 PM

CHUCK IT IN, GUYS!
THE DREAM IS AS

HEALTHY AS EVER

SPAIN'S statistical revelation that British expats have been returning to the UK ''in droves'' came as a real eye opener.

The Daily Telegraph jumped gleefully on the figures and off we went on a 'bash the Spanish dream' campaign for the umpteenth time.
The blind were leading the blind once again.

Within a couple of days, a film crew from BBC TV's The One Show were charging around the Costa Blanca seeking sob stories of debt and despair.

It all kicked off when statisticians in Madrid announced that 90,000 Brits abandoned their sunshine dreamland last year in a desperate hunt for the joys of pure English rain and rust.

The Daily Telegraph’s typically boring appraisal suggested the economic crisis, lack of work and failing health among the elderly were to blame.

Even the BBC, the world's primary bastion of broadcasting correctness, didn't dispute the figures – which suggested the Costas would be just about empty now that Easter has come and gone.

Doubts grew among local cynics when it was established the numbers had emerged from local town halls. And, more specifically, from the Padron office.

As far as thee UK media was concerned, 90,000 was 90,000 and that was that. Fact.

Padron me, but who monitored the ex-expats on their way out? Where were the Spanish bureaucracy’s red-tape records revealing who exactly had left the country?

For heaven's sake, half the Brits with homes in Spain aren't even on the Padron. And the other half couldn't tell you why it exists at all.

As for how many actually have gone home (if indeed the number of Brits in Spain isn’t increasing), we all have our own views.

One Show presenter Joe Crowley repeatedly threw the figure of 90,000 at me during an hour of filming at my home in El Raso – and I repeatedly chucked it back.

I had no idea at the time, but I was riding my chuck, I mean luck. And, sure enough, back in London the programme editors chucked my footage into the bin.

No complaints there, because I had no wish to be part of a programme dispensing misleading ‘facts’.

Personally, I believe the Spanish dream is as vividly exciting as ever for the vast majority of Brits.

The economic situation is also looking up - and had Joe spoken to local estate agents rather than voiced-over empty streets and For Sale boards, he’d have been put right on the resurgent property market.

The reality is that, against a backdrop of cranes and construction workers, a new building boom has begun.
Phill Smirke of The Property Shop is one of those professionals who insists the housing market is on the up.

He also maintains that, far from being forced to sell and leave the country, expats whose homes have plummeted in value since 2007 could well recoup every centimo by 2019.

Admittedly, the lack of work remains a killer for young families, but most of the Brits settle here when they no longer need a job.

And while supermarket shopping can be as costly as the UK, where in England can you enjoy a three-course Chinese meal for a fiver?

In a country where a couple can dine out seven days a week for 100 quid (with a bottle of decent wine thrown in), it makes no sense that 90,000 would flee.

One person who knows the REAL story is expat Phil Hughes, who works with the Guardamar del Segura council.

He revealed: ''Every council wants people on the Padrón, the list of residents from which the local government receives money from Central and Regional government for healthcare, education, major roads etc.
''So for 10 years at a time, we add as many people as we can.
''People leave but they rarely ask to come off before doing so. Therefore, when people like me are asked to 'conduct a census of foreigners' by the National Statistics Office (INE) every 10 years, they find that a huge amount of "residents" have been dead, moved, or simply never actually lived in the houses in which they were registered for many years.

“So, every 10 years, local councils with a "transient population" will have a jolt from the INE. It's just that this year, we are on the back of the worst financial crisis in memory, and so the figures appear to be a sudden event when in fact, it's the result of a 10-year 're-adjustment'.
''In the UK one would conduct a written census. Here, let's just say it's 'less than thorough'..
''The figures quoted are just plucked out of the sky. The reality is absolutely a whole lot worse, but over the last six or seven years, not just 12 months.''
Ultimately, The One Show took a non-confrontational line in their broadcast, but stuck to the figure of 90,000. A vox pop of expats produced predictable comments, which left my friend and neighbour Marjory Norris suitably unimpressed.

Like me, Marjory – who has lived in Spain fo 12 years - believes the expat community is growing rather than shrinking.
''It was much ado about nothing,'' was her verdict on the One Show broadcast.

Not quite an example of the blind leading the blind, then.

More like the bland leading the bland.

I
Am I right but is "Thursday, May 8, 2014 @ 11:19 PM" two years before the referendum?

Besides:
With loss of European passport.
With no right of free entry or passage.
Limited visa award
New requirements for residency
No right of work without expensive bureaucracy

Are these attractive incentives to move to Spain?

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Wed 10 Nov 2021 9:00 pm

Am I right but is "Thursday, May 8, 2014 @ 11:19 PM" two years before the referendum?
It is dated but no doubt was a reply to another Brits leaving Spain in droves bit of nonsense.

No doubt there will be another one in a couple of years which will be put down to climate change, Julio Iglesias faltering singing career or whatever is the particular reporter’s particular bugbear of the time.

People move.
Are they leaving in much greater numbers than normal which would raise questions?
Well judging by the flimsy original article we’ll never know.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Wed 10 Nov 2021 8:17 pm

Thanks for the link,
Take the report as you so wish. I detect the cloud of denial still looms thick.
I think the general theme is that Brexit is indeed causing issues of several negative types.
Given the article was written 19 days before we actually left the EU the author must be Nostradamus.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

erol wrote:
Wed 10 Nov 2021 7:44 pm

Explain to me why it was a valid reply then in that circumstance but is not now in this. Or did you have a change of heart perhaps ?
I’m more than happy to post it in here or discuss it in here but then the thread will be locked because it is so far off topic, unless that’s the plan?

It does amuse me that people can bring up things that have nothing to do with the original topic and if I ignore them I’m accused of avoiding their question and if I answer I’m the one who has moved off topic

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waz-24-7 »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Wed 10 Nov 2021 9:20 pm
waz-24-7 wrote:
Wed 10 Nov 2021 9:00 pm

It is dated but no doubt was a reply to another Brits leaving Spain in droves bit of nonsense.

No doubt there will be another one in a couple of years which will be put down to climate change, Julio Iglesias faltering singing career or whatever is the particular reporter’s particular bugbear of the time.

People move.
Are they leaving in much greater numbers than normal which would raise questions?
Well judging by the flimsy original article we’ll never know.
If you like. You'll never know. My take is the reports carry significant credence given the new difficulties that UK citizens are experiencing and reporting across the European Union.

My guess is that whilst you're possibly getting a little too much sun. To you every news article is a conspiracy theory, or in the mixed up minds of b authors , reporters and the general public.
Of course this is a very small snippet of negativity attributed to Brexit. The bigger and more important issues remain on the agenda and in the main are without resolution or solution.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”