General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

scaffman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

OVER 65 YRS RESENDENCY

•   Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

Post by scaffman »

HI CONFUSED BEEN HERE FOR 22 YRS HAD MY RESIDENCY BUT WAS TOLD NO NEED DUE TO AGE UNTIL 2023. HOWEVER BEEN HAVING PROBLEMS AT THE BORDERS BOTH LARNACA AND ERCAN WHEN ARRIVING AND LEAVING. ONLY GETTING 30 DAYS STAMPED AND I HAVE MY RESIDENCY IN THE SYSTEM AWAITING. I HAVE A HOUSE HERE WITH KOCAN BANK ACCOUNT AND TURKISH DRIVERS LICENCE. MY QUESTION IS WHY IS IT AT THE BORDERS THEY ARE SAYING I HAVE OVERSTAYED EACH TIME AND THERE IS A PENALTY TO PAY.A FRIEND WHO HAS LIVED HERE MANY YEARS HAD TO PAY 110000 TL ON ARRIVAL.WHERE IS THIS ALL GOING WRONG SEEMS THE RIGHT HAND DOES NOT KNOW WHAT THE LEFT IS DOING .ITS ALL STRESS FOR EVERYONE. MY VISIT TO IMMIGRATION I WAS TOLD VERBALLY I AM EXEMPT DUE TO MY AGE BUT NOT GIVEN ANYTHING IN WRITING. IF WHEN I GO BACK TO THE UK WILL I BE HIT WITH A FINE AFTER 30 DAYS OR WHEN I RETURN VIA ERCAN. ADVICE'S PLEASE. SORRY ABOUT CAPITALS OLD COMPUTER

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: OVER 65 YRS RESENDENCY

•   Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

My understanding is there is no age exemption anymore, except over 60 dont need blood test.
There was some reference made to temporarily allow over 60 who were in Cyprus before a certain date didn't need to renew to allow them to sort out the back log but has they never issued any documentation so it was difficult to prove you were exempt under this scheme and governments have come & gone since then

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Seems like yonks ago, when over 65's didn't need to go down the residency road, BUT it was a gentlemens, shake of a hand agreement. Then one day long ago, the Government at the time, President etc had a thunk and realised just how much money they were losing. I believe we were given a years grace to sort it out and here we are. All rushing round like headless chickens. There must be others on this Forum who can go back that far? If memory serves, we could actually pay our dues if we wanted and it would go towards obtaining permanent residency after 5 years. We applied and they moved it to 7 years, so we applied and it went to 11 years. I know when it was 11 years, we trotted up to the office, to be told we only had 10 years. "NO WE HAVEN'T, WE HAVE 11 years". They were adamant it was 10 years because there were only 10 stamps in the passport. One of the stamps was for two years, but it only counted as one physical stamp. Plus we didn't have our full Title Deeds (that was new demand) It was then that I gave up the ghost..... defeated!!!!

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

BJB, know exactly how you feel! We both got our stamp number 11 in 2018, it was a two year stamp so only counted as 1 stamp. But it means we have 11 physical stamps in the passport so should work, however, the last I heard was it was now a requirement for 15 stamps! Very clever really as from the date of our last “Stamp” residency the system changed and went on line. That means no more stamps in the passport so if the same OLD rules apply, regardless of the fact that we will have had 15 years continuous residency here, we will never make it to 15!
When I say continuous I really mean it as I have not set foot out of the Island since first arrival but the immigration office told me some time back that the residency stamps don’t count anyway and it’s only work permit stamps that are counted. Guess what - yep, we gave up! LOL
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

steveodp
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

Post by steveodp »

There was a more recent exemption, which had a few attached requirements, such as not being allowed a driving licence - but I am sure I read that the exemption had to be applied for, it wasn't a given.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Regardless of exemptions I bet you having your full Title Deeds will be essential and there our thousands of us that can't obtain them for various and numerous reasons.

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

Basically, the NC government doesn't want us.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”