General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

maxim.b
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

builder's charge for electricity

•   Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

Post by maxim.b »

Hi, I'm new on this forum, really hope I can get some help with this.

I recently bought an apartment in a new complex in Tatlisu area, it's connected to electricity, however there's no electric meter yet. The developer charges flat rate 2500TL per month, even on an empty property with virtually zero electricity usage. They explain to me that this is commercial ("heavy" as they call it) electricity they let the owners use until they get meters, and 2500TL is what Kibtek charges the developer for each connected property each month, so they just pass it on. They also say there's lack of meters on the island and people have been waiting for 8+ months to get one. And of course, they "offer" to disconnect if I don't like the arrangement. TBH all this sounds like a bulls**t to me, unfortunately I have no means to verify as I'm not there. So I wanted to ask here:

1. Is this a common problem, has anyone been in a similar situation?
2. Can a developer have this kind of arrangement with Kibtek that's not tariff-based?
3. Is it really so hard to get an electric meter installed in a new property?
4. Can a developer really cut off electricity to a property that's been fully completed and handed over?

Any advice will be valuable to me, thank you very much!

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: builder's charge for electricity

•   Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

2004 we were on builders electric 1 meter between 6 houses. 2 occupied and very generously picked up 50% of the bill. We eventually got our own meters early 2005 but still on builders rate to find out the occupied houses used less electricity as 1 didn't have a pool and we being young were out all the time. Another 6 months paying towards a new transformer and my husband taking his suitcase case and stating I have come to live here as I can't afford to live in my house. We were then promised we were scheduled in for kibtek to check and pass the properties. It all took time but luckily we were in high spirits and kibtek great sense of humour, my husband even removed to the big boss's office as it was more comfortable. I also had the joy in my job of getting a customer's house off builders electricity, again a long process especially as the kocan stated 2 room animal storage not a 4 bedroom house! Architect, electrical drawings, District office approval etc
Therefore in your contract does it stand the builder will connect you to electric
Ask kibtek why and is the paperwork in order
And yes they can cut you off as the bill is in their name, a few years back santa fe customers who did not have the bill in their name were all cut off

maxim.b
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

Post by maxim.b »

snd1966 wrote:
Sun 30 Oct 2022 5:03 am
Therefore in your contract does it stand the builder will connect you to electric
Ask kibtek why and is the paperwork in order
And yes they can cut you off as the bill is in their name, a few years back santa fe customers who did not have the bill in their name were all cut off
Thanks for your reply, snd1966.
Our contract of sale has no mention of electricity connection as such, it only stipulates that we contribute to infrastructure costs of electric, including transformer, and the amount is capped and has been paid in full (including the deposit for the meter). There's no mention of any payments for electricity in our maintenance contract either. This charge just appeared in my monthly statement without warning...

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

I would pop into kibtek with all your paperwork and find out if you can have a meter in your name even if it's on builders rate

Medjoul1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Medjoul1 »

I will never forget being on builders tariff that's what we eventually discovered when our electric bills were sky high. The 'constructors' and Kibtek just batted us back and forth between them it was nonsensical.
Eventually a nice guy in Kibtek told us the truth was that the builders owed money to the electrician who had to sign the work off!
We then had to track the guy down and pay him a kings ransome ourselves to have the rate changed and this was whe n we were swallows. Until we got the rate changed we hardly care boil the kettle.

maxim.b
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

Post by maxim.b »

My problem is that I'm not there, and still being charged ridiculous amount for not using any electricity. I guess not much I can do remotely...

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

Try writing to kibtek [email protected]
They may tell you what you can do
What stage it's at etc

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”