Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Sammy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Electricity power cuts

•   Message 1 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Sammy »

Hi
I haven’t arrived to my Villa inkarasiyaka , reading in the net , all this electricity cuts (:Q)
It is time to consider installing PV solar power , It is costly
But , better than have high blood pressure
Any idea about the cost and companies

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Electricity power cuts

•   Message 2 of 20 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

Unfortunately, unless you go completely off grid it won't help. Most systems fitted here must feed into the grid and you get credit offset against your usage. That means you still get power cuts, even with solar panels. You can install a generator which switches on automatically in the event of a power outage and off when the power is restored. I'm sure someone can advise on the best options for generators.

Sammy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Sammy »

Many thanks
It will be few months, If life becomes a burden it will be your suggestion The Generator

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 20 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

We have a generator which is wired in to the house, it comes on 5 secs after mains goes off, then another 3secs before house is lit up again. Wouldn't be without it. Obviously we have to pay for the diesel usage. You can buy much cheaper and smaller than ours, which will just cope with lights and perhaps one other piece of equipment.

a1sysman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 20 in Discussion

Post by a1sysman »

If your property is three phase electric supply you will require a three phase generator.

Three phase generators are quite big and need professional installation.

Single phase electric supplied homes, a single phase generator (of sufficient power output) used to support a limited number of electric appliances / lighting are more “plug and play”.

Generator servicing and fuel storage also need consideration whether it be a single or three phase generator.
libens volens potens

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 20 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

We went through all that and generator very well installed. We sunk cable into the garden then on to box next to front door. Even though we have powerful machine but even then I would NEVER have everything on at the same time, i.e. washing machine plus dish washer, plus oven, plus iron, please freezer, plus electric hot water heater etc, etc. We have it professionally serviced and the diesel is stored well, well away from the generator. It wasn't cheap but frankly I don't care.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 20 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

BJB, Just in fun!!! Will you be selling it off cheap when the cable comes from Turkey? After all it will no longer be needed and it will be old and used - lol.

I have a small standby generator - 6Kw - which gets started and run every year just to check it! Must admit that I have never changed the petrol it run's on but I do service it every year for some unknown reason - change the oil every now and then as well. I have used it in anger twice in the past 12 years!!! If the power cut gets to the six or seven hour mark then I am tempted to run it again, otherwise can't see the need.

In recent times I have bought solar lights for inside the house and just use those when the power goes off.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Sammy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Sammy »

Hi Waldo
The mention of 12 years and using the generator twice in anger reassuring.
I will follow your path and buy some time in the future small generator, just for the TV
And solar lights
It looks reasonable and practical
Thanks

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 20 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

I keep thinking about getting a generator, but still haven't and been here almost 13 years.
Like Waddo, I've got solar lights which I bring inside before it gets dark, if I remember. Just remember to take them outside every day and get them re-charged.
Have also got a couple of 1000VA UPS to keep internet and other low power items like laptop, phone charged if need be, although a power bank would do the job for the latter. Mine keeps internet going for approx 4 hours, decreasing as batteries wear out. Batteries last roughly about 4 years.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 20 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

What I will do Waddo is add the generator to asking price of the House if I ever feel so inclined to sell. Sure as hell won't be giving it away. Its horses for courses, I also have solar lights etc for the odd ten minutes of so.

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 11 of 20 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

there are several options to use solar /batteries in case of power cuts
1. you install PV power and feed the grid (with permission from kibtek)
- in case of power cut, a battery system kicks in.
- after the power cut, the battery will be charged from the grid... and will use your credits (if you have any)
2. you install PV power , but you do not feed the grid. (no permission needed. this also applies for eg, solar pool pumps..)
- you run all (or parts of) the house from solar and batteries until the batteries are empty.
- the batteries will be charged from either solar and / or from the grid.
combinations of 1 and 2 are also possible.

3. of course a battery system without solar power is also possible.
- in case of a power cut the batteries will kick in
- and will be charged from grid after power is back.

1,2,3 should work automatically and best results you achieve with "the better equipment"...

a1sysman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 20 in Discussion

Post by a1sysman »

kibsolar1999 wrote:
Thu 26 Jan 2023 4:49 pm
The three options you outline. If the property is three phase does that incur additional problems with either one or all of the options please?
libens volens potens

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 13 of 20 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

a1sysman wrote:
Thu 26 Jan 2023 5:13 pm
kibsolar1999 wrote:
Thu 26 Jan 2023 4:49 pm
The three options you outline. If the property is three phase does that incur additional problems with either one or all of the options please?
"only" financial....

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 20 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

P.Cut Alsancak one hour 8.10 to 9.10 pm their still at it.

TAC
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 20 in Discussion

Post by TAC »

we had a one hour cut last night in Lapta
I'm leaving now to go find myself....if I arrive before I get back, please ask me to wait!

dap2410
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 20 in Discussion

Post by dap2410 »

waddo wrote:
Mon 23 Jan 2023 4:10 pm
BJB, Just in fun!!! Will you be selling it off cheap when the cable comes from Turkey? After all it will no longer be needed and it will be old and used - lol.
waddo::::: Is there any idea/dates when this proposed power cable is likely to be laid from Turkey to us here in the TRNC. If true, like the piped water it would certainly be great to be NOT dependent on Kibtek!!! Or is it just wishful thinking? :x)) :x))

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 20 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

dap2410, Going by the normal time scales of other things here - take the new airport at Ercan as a guide, due to open in 2016 - then I would not hold my breath on how long the cable would take to get here from Turkey. Even when it does arrive then expect the national bun fight on how much the customer will be charged per Kw, regardless of how much the providing company will pay for it from Turkey. Again use the water supply from Turkey as a guide in that respect - what the customer pays is not what the provider pays!!

Maybe the electricity supply will be different and everyone will get Turkish electricity at the same time, very unlike the Turkish water which only arrived at my door last year - at times. The cable idea is very old and could have been actioned along with the water pipe but hey ho, higildy pigildy land strikes again so we will wait and see. At least it is a step forward and my thanks go to my host country for all efforts.

dap2410
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 20 in Discussion

Post by dap2410 »

waddo wrote:
Thu 02 Feb 2023 9:18 am
dap2410, Going by the normal time scales of other things here - take the new airport at Ercan as a guide, due to open in 2016 - then I would not hold my breath on how long the cable would take to get here from Turkey. Even when it does arrive then expect the national bun fight on how much the customer will be charged per Kw, regardless of how much the providing company will pay for it from Turkey. Again use the water supply from Turkey as a guide in that respect - what the customer pays is not what the provider pays!!

Maybe the electricity supply will be different and everyone will get Turkish electricity at the same time, very unlike the Turkish water which only arrived at my door last year - at times. The cable idea is very old and could have been actioned along with the water pipe but hey ho, higildy pigildy land strikes again so we will wait and see. At least it is a step forward and my thanks go to my host country for all efforts.
waddo::: Many thanks for your response. And having lived here for the last 12 years and knowing just how longggggggggg it takes for anything to get sorted, and decisions made by those in authority here. I totally agree with you. But let’s JUST HOPE it will get done at some point. hopefully!!! no more power cuts

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 19 of 20 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

waddo...
(1) ---The cable idea is very old and could have been actioned along with the water pipe but hey ho...
(2) --- what the customer pays is not what the provider pays!!

to 1. southern Turkiye for now (we will see in the future.. climate change...) can supply (some of the ) water needs for NC, but the electrical network in southern Turkiye has no power left for NC, so, why a cable?
if you hope for nuclear power... it is also late.. and most probably will take time as well
from wikipedia: The first unit is hoped (finally) to become operational in 2023, but in 2022 (russian company) Rosatom was having difficulty obtaining equipment from third countries.

to 2. do you have a clue what the (russian) provider will get (for the nuclear power per kWh) ?
from wikipedia: ... Electricity will be purchased at a price of 12.35 US cents per kW·h (for the first 70%) and the remaining power will be sold in the open market by the producer.
so, makes todays exchange rate approx 2,30 lira per kWh "ex works Akkuyu, Turkiye". plus distribution, maintenance, labour and VAT, which add to approx 40 - 50% of the sales price. say , 12,35 x 2 = 24 US cent or say, 4,50 lira per kWh (today).
also doubtful will be that , after the first bloc of 1,2 GW will be (whenever) in operation, the southern provinces are willing to give, say, 30 % of the power to NC and surely not for the "first 70%". NC most probably has to buy from "open market"... for 12,35 US dollar cent??

what i want to say... do not expect that the electricity prices will go down, because the investment backlock in NC is big (rising demand, filters, change in technology...) and prices in general are high and do not expect that powercuts will end soon.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 20 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

I do not expect electricity to come from Turkey in ky lifetime, nor do I expect prices on any commodity to drop to a great extent. I use Wikipedia for some things but it is certainly not the gospel. Whichever way you look at living here, if you do not provide for yourself then nobody else will so look to the future. I guarantee that the prices will rise no matter what you go for!

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/energyterminal ... -deal/5122. Just look at the date of the article - lol.

Then again - https://www.trade.gov/country-commercia ... he%20world. - you never know what CAN happen these days.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”