General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

laptawrinkly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

"Amendment to the regulation on foreign license holders"

•   Message 1 of 12 in Discussion

Post by laptawrinkly »

"Amendment to the regulation on foreign license holders; Changes were made in the rules governing the rules to be applied to foreign license holders.
https://www.kibrispostasi.com/c35-KIBRI ... egisikligi
The rules governing the rules to be applied to foreign license holders in the Motor Vehicles and Road Traffic Regulations have been amended.

With the 1974 Motor Vehicles and Road Traffic (Amendment) Regulation, which was approved by the Council of Ministers and entered into force after being published in the Official Gazette, the temporary 1st article in the main statute was amended.

With the new article titled "Rules to be Applied to Foreign License Holders", the rules to be applied to foreign license holders for 90 days from the effective date of the amendment were regulated as follows:

“(1) A person who has a valid driving license issued in a foreign country has to convert his foreign driving license to a Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus Driving License as of the date he lost his visitor status.

(2) Person with a valid driving license issued in a foreign country other than the Republic of Turkey;

(A) The Registrar submits a petition to the foreign driving license holder in the form of Form XII in the First Annex to the Regulation or in any other form determined by the Registrar at the relevant time, and the petitioner complies with the provisions of subparagraph (B) and Annex II of the Law. Upon payment of the statutory fees shown in Section 4, the petitioner may issue a student license valid for a period of six months. This license is granted subject to the terms contained in Form XIII in the first Annex to these Statutes or in any other form determined by the Registrar at the relevant time.

(B) Every person who has a foreign driving license in the "D", "H", "H2", "H1" or "J" classes corresponding to the Driving License in the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus and who wants to convert the driver's license he has obtained in his own country, for this purpose ( A) to go to a driving license inspector by bringing the relevant petition stipulated in subparagraph, and after giving all the relevant information and making every relevant statement determined on the petition form, and in the Annex II of the Law. Upon paying the fees shown in the section, he is obliged to take a preparatory exam from the questions determined from the TRNC Highway Traffic Rules Book regarding road rules and traffic signs.

(C) Upon the petitioner's satisfaction with the inspector that he has the necessary qualifications for issuing a student license and succeeding in the exam stipulated in subparagraph (B), the inspector approves this issue on the student license petition form brought by the petitioner and sends the form for the issuance of a student license to 713 1983. It sends it to the registrar. The type of vehicle that the petitioner wants to drive and the conditions that he has to comply with during the validity of the license issued in this way are indicated in the certificate.
(Ç) The student driver's license holder is obliged to drive the vehicle of the driver school for at least five days, eight hours a day and two hours a night, under the supervision of the driver's school trainer.

(D) The driver's license holder must prove that he has completed the specified course period to the Motor Vehicles Registrar with a document deemed appropriate by the Registrar, and Annex II of the Law. The Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus will apply for a Driving License if it pays the legal fee specified in the section to issue a 5 (five) year driving license.

laptatony
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: "Amendment to the regulation on foreign license holders"

•   Message 2 of 12 in Discussion

Post by laptatony »

How do the many driving without a driving licence, get on...what are the changes for them. 😱😪😩

laptawrinkly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 12 in Discussion

Post by laptawrinkly »

Hi laptatony,

"How do the many driving without a driving licence, get on...what are the changes for them. 😱😪😩"

For the residents (not tourists) no change as they will still remain illegal - of course their vehicle insurance is also invalid, even if you present another valid DV.

What is interesting, they don't mention renewals. So I am hoping this is for 1st time 'foreigners' changing over to the TRNC ones. I know in the south when you change over DV, they remove your UK DV and send back to DVLA. As far as I'm aware, they don't do that here yet, probably due to non-recognition by UK.

Of course for some time now, these new rules do not apply to those with a Turkish DV. Farcical really given they drive on the left, have different rules on roundabouts (just watch them coming up from the ferry in Girne for the first time), but all those from right hand drive countries, 'have to have familiarisation' lessons!

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 12 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

If you already hold a TRNC license then you are not driving on a "foreign" license at all so the new "money making" scheme should not apply to you, even on license renewals. I wonder if the same rule regarding Turkey applies in reverse, I.E. if you go to Turkey and drive on a TRNC license will you still have to take a test?

I await the day when the TRNC converts to left hand driving - not that it will make much difference - and bans the importation of RHD vehicles by all none TC/TRNC citizens - it will happen.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

vialla
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 12 in Discussion

Post by vialla »

Have 60 day tourist visa and 1 year car insurance.May I drive here with my foreign license.

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 12 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

vialla wrote:
Mon 08 May 2023 8:32 am
Have 60 day tourist visa and 1 year car insurance.May I drive here with my foreign license.
No when stopped the Polis want a TRNC licence

vialla
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 12 in Discussion

Post by vialla »

What about rent car

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 12 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

vialla wrote:
Mon 08 May 2023 8:32 am
I'd suggest you check with both police and car insurance to get accurate information for your own peace of mind.
New rules came out for property owners with vehicles a while back, and sure they had to get local driving licence, but I wouldn't want to swear that. It's made more difficult now, as think you have to have temp residency to get a local licence.

vialla wrote:
Mon 08 May 2023 9:03 am
What about rent car
For car rental, you can drive on your UK licence within the time limits, so fine on a 60 day visa. You can also drive someone else's private car, so long as you are on a tourist visa. I had the latter confirmed last year when a friend on holiday was borrowing my car. Checked with both police and insurance as a belt and brace's job.

vialla
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 12 in Discussion

Post by vialla »

Thank you.

frugal90
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 12 in Discussion

Post by frugal90 »

“(1) A person who has a valid driving license issued in a foreign country has to convert his foreign driving license to a Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus Driving License as of the date he lost his visitor status.

this statement is key, you can drive on your foreign license whilst a visitor (30/60/90 days, as soon as you start residency you have to start the process to convert to a trnc license.

I checked with an insurance company who conformed that for me

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 11 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

... as soon as you start residency...

Surely your 'Visitor' status subsists until the residency process is finalised - which can take many months...

Is it possible that something was 'Lost in translation'?

aaron max
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 12 in Discussion

Post by aaron max »

Hey all, PM kisan status
Proposed changes to the regulation concerning foreign license holders are under consideration. The amendment aims to refine existing policies, potentially introducing new requirements or modifying current ones. This proactive approach demonstrates a commitment to ensuring that foreign license holders adhere to updated standards. Stakeholders and the public are encouraged to stay informed about these potential adjustments and provide feedback during the review process to contribute to a more comprehensive and effective regulatory framework.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”