General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Medjoul1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Portable Gas Heater

•   Message 1 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Medjoul1 »

I have two portable gas room heaters both worked fine when put away. Fast forward to now both with fresh gas bottles and no pilot light on either of them. I can light them manually but they won't stay alight when the switch is released of course.
If anybody has any knowledge of these devices and can offer advice I would be grateful.
Thank you

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Portable Gas Heater

•   Message 2 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

Medjoul1 wrote:
Thu 30 Nov 2023 7:50 am
I have two portable gas room heaters both worked fine when put away. Fast forward to now both with fresh gas bottles and no pilot light on either of them. I can light them manually but they won't stay alight when the switch is released of course.
If anybody has any knowledge of these devices and can offer advice I would be grateful.
Thank you
We had the same problem when turning on the first time since earlier in the year. All I did was held the knob down for a far longer time than usual so the pilot light was on longer. So far this has cured the problem. If it still won’t light it probably needs a new thermocouple fitted.

compass
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 6 in Discussion

Post by compass »

It can sometimes be caused by a faulty regulator..... try removing and refitting the regulator as the "plunger" inside may have seized up. or maybe very low gas level in the bottle.

I've had it where they won't light but when a new bottle was put on all ok. Although the same bottle then ran the hob for a week or two so it clearly wasn't completely empty.

Good luck

Medjoul1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Medjoul1 »

Compass, the regulator was my first thought but both of them and it lights ok manually?
Has anyone replaced a thermocouple, can they be replaced, what do they look like and who sells them?

Brinsley
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Brinsley »

Gently clean the thermocouple with white spirit on a baby bud (soot build up) or:-
Behind where the gas cylinder sits is a metal plate, unscrew it. At the base bottom is a safety unit, disarm the unit and re-attach the wires (colour sensitive). This safety device very often fails and is for gas cut off should the heater fall over. Maybe unsafe to do so if housing pets or small children wandering around. ...
Last edited by Brinsley on Thu 30 Nov 2023 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Medjoul1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Medjoul1 »

Thank you Brinsley

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”