General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

kedikat2903
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Unsecured Wi-Fi network

•   Message 1 of 3 in Discussion

Post by kedikat2903 »

My Wi-Fi connection is coming up as unsecured. I have a main router upstairs and a second router downstairs. The main one says unsecured. The one downstairs has a little padlock by the name so that means secured I guess. Both routers had this padlock symbol before. Does anyone know why this has happened.? I only knew as a friend wanted to connect to my Wi-Fi while visiting me. I went to get the password to give her and she said don’t worry I am connected, your Wi-Fi says it’s unsecured 😕

laptawrinkly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Unsecured Wi-Fi network

•   Message 2 of 3 in Discussion

Post by laptawrinkly »

Hi Kedikat,

What you refer to as your main router, is the one set up by your internet service provider (ISP)? Hence it is password protected (padlock symbol) Most of ISPs here do not allow users to access the router setup page- have to go to them for any changes, such as passwords, etc.

With the second router, did you have this set up as a wifi extender from your ground floor one? If so who set this up? Maybe they can access that router webpage to set a password for you? If it was setup by your internet provider, most likely you will have to get them to set a password of your choice for you.

I'd suggest leaving the 2nd router 'open' is putting your internet network at risk, especially if you use it for sensitive activities, such as online banking.

kedikat2903
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Unsecured Wi-Fi network

•   Message 3 of 3 in Discussion

Post by kedikat2903 »

Thankyou Laptawrinkly for your reply. It is the main router that has “become” unsecured for some reason. The second one is protected. It was put in by my ISP as the internet connection was very poor downstairs. I have sent them a message. Thanks for your help.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”