General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Coffee cup price

•   Message 1 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Reyntj »

I came to a well known chain coffee shop in kyrenis it's now 150 tl for a regular latte ..

That's c £3.50.

They hiked the price to match the income in minimum wage but that's only a fraction of their expense ..

Seems to be profiteering to me as Starbucks charge less at £3.36 for a regular latte in the UK where wages are still much much higher .

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Coffee cup price

•   Message 2 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

These types of threads are becoming common on this forum. In all the time I have lived here I have never known such price hikes on almost everything we spend here, in addition I have never known so many people leaving the Island, the place has changed a hell of a lot even in the last couple of years, in my opinion not for the better.

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 18 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

The price hikes on meals out and other services are going to close a lot of businesses , more and more restaurants are offering delivery of meals.
It’s a clear indicator that they are struggling, but they are their own worst enemy, you cannot continue to increase your prices,.

The customer will not pay it

Hair Cut
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Hair Cut »

tutor4u wrote:
Sat 09 Mar 2024 12:28 pm
The price hikes on meals out and other services are going to close a lot of businesses, more and more restaurants are offering delivery of meals.
It’s a clear indicator that they are struggling, but they are their own worst enemy, you cannot continue to increase your prices,.

The customer will not pay for it
I can not agree more, there will be a lot that close before the tourists arrive.

Re; Coffee Post, went to Basilic today. Cappachino 105tl and Americano 100 tl. Served in nice cups. Not like Gloria Jeans who serve poor coffee in paper cups. Only been once and never again.

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 18 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

Çatalköy cafe by the tomb, 140tl one large cappuccino, a small flat white, and a Turkish coffee. Lovely view, takeaway cups but great coffee.

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 18 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

Unfortunately wages might be tl but rents in sterling, increases in water rates and electricity.
Suppliers have increased their cost too
Big vicious circle

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 18 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

snd1966 wrote:
Sat 09 Mar 2024 6:11 pm
Unfortunately wages might be tl but rents in sterling, increases in water rates and electricity.
Suppliers have increased their cost too
Big vicious circle
Agreed, by the time you've converted your TL wage to £ to pay for your rent you're left with very little to survive on. I've been there myself and it's no fun! I feel for anyone in this situation.

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Reyntj »

My initial point was in reference to why is a cup of coffee here more expensive than a Starbucks in uk when wages are still 1/3 cheaper .. it's clear profiteering in my.opinion nothing to do with rents that workers are paying .

A coffee shop here will have a much much lower wage bill than the UK ...yet the coffee they sell is costing more when it should be less..

This a recent development in response to the wage hike when things like rent have not changed in the last month it two.

frugal90
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 18 in Discussion

Post by frugal90 »

just won't buy it, will have coffee at home or will carry a flask.

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Reyntj »

Exactly it's optional

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 18 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

Support local businesses where you can, the tax they are paying from the Belediye is insane. Spoke to a restaurant owner the other day, tax has trebled. At this rate there won't be anywhere to go . If you like a business help them to stay open before we all have to stay indoors.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 18 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

I agree re taxes etc., but there is an awful lot of sheer greed as well. I went into a very well known Supermarket and coffee shop recently. Before I ordered my usual, the waiter actually warned it had gone from 90 to 140 for a small cup. Told him I had changed my mind. Forward one week later, the price had been reduced as customers were refusing to buy. This is not a small family run establishment, but a large company being greedy and pushing their luck. The days have gone when our UK pensions would take us anywhere and pennies are being counted. We're not rich Russians.!!

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 18 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

There is clear profiteering in some cases. I usually stock up on coffee beans as I don't like the ones local to me in Tatlisu. I found a decent enough brand in a supermarket on Esentepe road. In 9 weeks a packet has gone up 60-70TL, the rate to TL hasn't changed that much to warrant the price. Unfortunately, I can't do without it, so just have to suck it up.

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 18 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

I don't know where you are or what you pay but Master Roaster sells beans and ground coffee. We get ours from them as it's just around the corner and it's lovely coffee.

war horse
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 18 in Discussion

Post by war horse »

Think coffee beans have increased globally. We normally buy 4 x 1 kgs from Amazon in UK and have been paying around £26 but went to reorder and they'd gone upto £56!!! So did'nt reorder. Now 2 weeks later back down to just over £31 so it's the same everywhere sadly 🤔

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 18 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

We pay 750tl for 3 x 150g bags of beans

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 17 of 18 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

benjaminbutton wrote:
Sat 16 Mar 2024 9:21 am
I agree re taxes etc., but there is an awful lot of sheer greed as well. I went into a very well known Supermarket and coffee shop recently. Before I ordered my usual, the waiter actually warned it had gone from 90 to 140 for a small cup. Told him I had changed my mind. Forward one week later, the price had been reduced as customers were refusing to buy. This is not a small family run establishment, but a large company being greedy and pushing their luck. The days have gone when our UK pensions would take us anywhere and pennies are being counted. We're not rich Russians.!!
i do have an idea which supermarket you mean.. we stopped our "coffe & cake break" there the moment they wanted nearly 4 euros for a small piece of lemon cake and nearly 3 euros for a small coffee, self service!
yes, after that the pricing went down a bit, but (coffee and) especially cake prices in NC (from all bakeries) are close to be insane, incl service or not does not matter.. and "really good" are most of them not. neither the coffee nor the cake.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 18 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Thanks Forestpixie. I used to go to Master Roaster, and absolutely love their coffee. I do wish they would supply some shops out my way. It is expensive though, going by your later post, but it is very good. I used to buy about 3 kg worth at a time. Think I'd need a take out a loan nowadays. :lol: I'm kind of avoiding heading that way, but might have to make an effort one of these days.

Ouch Warhorse, that's a bit of a shocker. I remember this happening before with coffee a few years back, but hadn't heard anything recently. Unfortunately, can't see shops here putting the price down, things only go one way here. :roll: I'll have to check out prices in UK when I head back over there. Can't see me managing to fit a years supply in suitcase though.

Kibsolar, I am usually disappointed by the cakes here. They look fabulous, but very rarely taste any good. Thank goodness I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but do have a thing about lemon cheesecake. Have forgotten the name of the place on Bellapais road, think it might be Uncle Sam's? Anyway, their cakes are good, although I have no idea of pricing, been so long since I've been there.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”