General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Revolut fraud attempt

•   Message 1 of 3 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

Just after noon today, I received a notification from Revolut that the amount of €6.29 had been taken from my account by a company called Bolt Food, allegedly located in the South. I knew immediately that it was a fraudulent transaction, blocked the company and reported it as such to Revolut requesting a refund (chargeback). This involved cancelling the card, luckily it was a virtual card associated with my Google wallet so doesn't involve reordering a physical card. Whilst I was sorting it out another attempt by a company called foodpanda was made, this time for €14.35, it was declined as the card had been frozen/terminated. Shortly afterwards I received the refund from Revolut for the fraudulent transaction.

This happened just over a week after I had used the card via Google pay whilst on holiday in Turkey , I haven't been in South Cyprus over 3 years. Coincidentally, I had a similar problem last year after a holiday in USA, an attempt was made to charge a dollar amount on the virtual card I used there.

I was very impressed by the speed at which Revolut refunded the money. I will now get into the habit of cancelling a virtual card used abroad on holiday and creating a new one when I return home
Screenshot_20240323-140140.png

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Revolut fraud attempt

•   Message 2 of 3 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Glad that you noticed quickly and got your money back. I've never used Google Wallet, so don't understand how this scam works. I'm paranoid about this sort of thing after being scammed, funnily enough in south Cyprus, many years ago with a physical card.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Revolut fraud attempt

•   Message 3 of 3 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

I don't use Google Wallet either but last week was charged £42.95 to my Revolut account from The Reverse Lookup when I had already paid £0.85 for the one time I had used it. Revolut froze my card and asked me to confirm this payment. I said I had not authorised it so they did not pay it, then I emailed Reverse Lookup and asked them, they said it was an error and canceled my subscription with them - I did not have a subscription anyway - and that was that all sorted.

Again, I am impressed with the speed at which Revolut took action on my behalf. Considering some of the bad press I have seen about Revolut I am even more impressed by their actions. However, I will watch with some interest now for any other "Dodgy" payments that may appear - lol.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”