General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

kedikat2903
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Lloyds bank fraud attempt?

•   Message 1 of 5 in Discussion

Post by kedikat2903 »

Has this happened to anyone with an account with Lloyds ? I have Lloyds banking app on my phone but I like to access my account with my iPad as the screen is larger. The last three times I attempted to access my account I was asked to give extra verification via a phone call from them . This happens occasionally so it was quite normal as far as I was concerned. A four digit code comes up on my iPad screen and I have to tick the phone number I want to be called on. On the screen it tells me the number that they will be using to call me on. It’s always the same number and it’s saved on my phone under Lloyds bank. This number wasn’t the one calling me. It came from WhatsApp . I spoke my code number and it was accepted and I had access to my account. After a while I started thinking it wasn’t the Lloyds number that called me so I checked WhatsApp and found the call originated from the Ivory Coast. I have contacted the fraud department of Lloyds Bank. After saying they didn’t use WhatsApp to make calls they said if nothing has happened within your account not to worry. I said I was worried as there is so much information on line of fraud through WhatsApp and Lloyds. So they said they’ll get someone else to call me. Within 15 minutes. It’s now five hours and I’m still waiting. While waiting I have tried to access my account again. This time the calls were originating from Spain. I turned off Wi-Fi on my phone to see if they could get through. Yes. Another call from Spain through the mobile network not Wi-Fi. I can still access my account through the mobile app but not happy with the unhelpful attitude from Lloyds. I also asked if there was an email I could use to send screen shots of the numbers. They said email wasn’t secure. 🤬

MnM
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Lloyds bank fraud attempt?

•   Message 2 of 5 in Discussion

Post by MnM »

Sounds like you'd get better help from whoever is trying to do the scamming. Many financial organisations have an e-mail address specifically for forwarding fake e-mails and although it sounds like no fraud has yet been committed, this fake authentication should still be of concern to Lloyds. In the meantime you can do a few things to help protect yourself, 1. never use public Wi-Fi to do any online banking, (whilst not suggesting you do or have done), 2. try and use a device to access your account that you've never used before and on mobile network or someone else's WiFi that you know to be secure and change your password, (providing you don't get the same fake "authentication" message come up). 3. Change the password for your own W-Fi, 4. Run some sort of Malware app on your phone that has been verified by your app provider, 5. Install a VPN, again verified by your app provider, and perhaps what should have been number 1. never provide any codes, passwords etc to any number that you don't recognise or some way of authentication that is not normal to you. Hopefully the above may help in the light of you getting none from Lloyds so far.

kedikat2903
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 5 in Discussion

Post by kedikat2903 »

Thank you so much MnM. I will follow your advice

Pamuklu Blue
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 5 in Discussion

Post by Pamuklu Blue »

I had the same problem last week. I called Lloyds to tell them I was getting Whatapp messages from various Ivory Coast numbers each time I tried to log in. The messages were asking for the four digit code. I didn't give the code to them. Lloyds told me my phone had been hacked but the phone I use is an old dumb phone on Turkcell. I changed the phone number to a UK one whilst I was talking to Lloyds and touchwood, the problem has been resolved for now. The code is now being sent to my UK phone as normal. It seems to me that the problem is more likely at Lloyds end as their messages seem to be being intercepted.

kedikat2903
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 5 in Discussion

Post by kedikat2903 »

This morning I noticed £50 had been added to my account. No payee name just a lot of numbers and letters. Panic again. I managed to get a person to talk to/text after the bot couldn’t help. They asked me when the transaction occurred and asked for the name. I sent the numbers . They said it was from Lloyds because I was given the wrong information by two agents about the WhatsApp numbers being used by Lloyds . It was for stress and inconvenience. He said I should change my password and memorable information. After I did this I was again asked to confirm my identity using a four digit code . I was Worried that the WhatsApp call would happen again. Result ! Lloyds bank number called. So all ok now.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”