Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

FlobbyWob
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Crossing from North to South?

•   Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Post by FlobbyWob »

Hey,

I’m a UK Citizen and entered the TRNC through Ercan as I thought I’d only be here a few weeks. I now need to stay longer than the 30 days I was given.

I can’t extend it at the Police Station in Nicosia as I’m staying in an AirBnB so, is the best way to do it to fly out and back in or is it safe to cross by land to the South although I “illegally” entered Cyprus?

Many thanks for your advice!

Tambala
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Crossing from North to South?

•   Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Tambala »

There shouldn’t be any problems with crossing to the south. To be on a safer side, you may want to drive through one of the crossings controlled by the British police - Bayarmudu or Famagusta.

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

so you've entered the South and will finally depart from the North once you've entered the South the clock starts on that stay so if you come back into the South in the future that will give you problems
Have a day trip to Turkey

laptawrinkly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Post by laptawrinkly »

There shouldn’t be any problems with crossing to the south. To be on a safer side, you may want to drive through one of the crossings controlled by the British police - Bayarmudu or Famagusta.
In fact if the south have no record of you entering via 'what they call a 'legal port of entry' such as Larnaca or Paphos airports, they can decline you entry or exit from the south, worst case scenario as a 3rd country national can fine you for entering via Ercan (while it may not have been done the reserve the right to do so) - all designed to intimidate and dissuade use of the north entry points, better to be prepared though.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advic ... quirements
Travel within Cyprus
You can use any crossing point to move between the north and south of the island. The crossing point at Ledra Palace and Ledra and Lokmaci Street can only be used by pedestrians.

See a list of the crossing points from the Cyprus Ministry of Finance.

Entry into the Republic of Cyprus through the north of Cyprus
If you enter the Republic of Cyprus through the north (such as through Ercan Airport), authorities will consider you to have entered illegally. You could be:

fined for illegal entry
refused entry to or exit from the Republic of Cyprus
prevented from crossing back into the north of Cyprus
As suggested a short stay in Turkey may b better as there have been problems with people 'going south' for the day to extend their stay in the north; varies how many days they will actually give you.

FlobbyWob
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

Post by FlobbyWob »

Thanks everyone. Would an SBA crossing be safe enough?

Panchocat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Panchocat »

Yes but you would need to go to Metahan first to get the TOM certificate. The SBA are asking to see that now. I have been asked by the Greek people in the booths at Metahan which airport I entered by but I have never been refused entry there when I said Ercan.

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

The rules are clear
Enter south you can go north but must leave south
if you leave North after entering south the clock has started and you will not be able to enter South again
Enter North you must leave North
Dont go south and leave north South will start a clock as soon as you cross south and ban your future south entery
Simple rules follow
Go Turkey from Ercan and re start your stay 90min 180 days simples

FlobbyWob
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

Post by FlobbyWob »

Update: I crossed to the South by car in Nicosia. I had no issues but the the North was annoyed I was just trying to get more days, in the end they gave in to the amount of days I needed because they don’t extend days with AirBnB bookings.

Not sure how leaving the South will work but I guess next time I should enter in my 2nd Passport from an EU country…

greenockmorton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Post by greenockmorton »

We arrived at Ercan but due to illness we have to return to UK. We can get a jet2 flight from Larnaca but just wondered if there will be a problem for us crossing to the south and would we be possibly stopped from entering

13roman58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Post by 13roman58 »

greenockmorton wrote:
Tue 30 Apr 2024 4:29 am
We arrived at Ercan but due to illness we have to return to UK. We can get a jet2 flight from Larnaca but just wondered if there will be a problem for us crossing to the south and would we be possibly stopped from entering
No problem, maybe questioned and tutted at Larnaca but can,t stop you leaving.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”