- Posts: 45
- Joined: Mon 04 Feb 2013 10:00 am
Probably not the most useful recipe for all those lemons... but what the heck!
This is like the lemon liqueur served in Italy as an after dinner digestive.
Make sure you wash & dry the lemons, they may be unwaxed but they will be dusty!
200g white caster sugar
zest or rind* & juice of 6 unwaxed lemons
700ml eau de vie or vodka
1. Put the sugar and the water into a saucepan over a medium heat and stir to dissolve the sugar. Bring to the boil then simmer for 3-4 minutes until the bubbles look syrupy. Leave to cool.
2. Add the lemon zest or rind and juice while it is still slightly warm. Then add the spirit.
3. Pour into sterilized jars or bottles and seal.
4. Leave in a cool dry place for 1 month (sorry) shaking the jars every day for the first week.
After a month the lemon liqueur will be ready. Strain it into clean bottles.
Place in freezer for several hours before serving in chilled shot glasses.
BEWARE It tastes like sunshine but packs a punch like thunder.
It is also good as a long drink with lemonade or soda water.
*if using rind you only want the top yellow bit, the white will spoil the flavour