General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

Restarting tourism in covid free TRNC

•   Message 1 of 73 in Discussion

Post by erol »

So if we have managed to achieve the eradication of covid-19 in the TRNC and we are now looking at how we can restart tourism , I keep seeing all this talk of '14 day quarantine' on entry and the like. Why could it not be a 1-2 day quarantine ? People arrive, they are tested on arrival and go into enforced quarantine. Then as soon as the result comes in they can go and holiday if they are negative. Or if the risk of 'false negative' is too high, test on arrival and then test 24 hours later , to reduce the chance of false negatives and then let them out to holiday. Have I missed something ?

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Restarting tourism in covid free TRNC

•   Message 2 of 73 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Nothing missing as far as I can see. No-one in UK is going to following the instructions in any case are they? Far too complicated and complex to follow it up. Not so difficult here though is it?

Jonnie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 73 in Discussion

Post by Jonnie »

Is the test that accurate, what about the incubation period? Will the test show virus that is not fully incubated even if the carrier is asymptomatic?
Some are wise and some otherwise.....

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 4 of 73 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Jonnie wrote:
Wed 13 May 2020 7:42 pm
Is the test that accurate, what about the incubation period? Will the test show virus that is not fully incubated even if the carrier is asymptomatic?
I might be wrong but my understanding is such test exits ?

I am thinking of 'package deal'. One night 'locked in' at airport hotel at gatwick or wherever. Test , result before boarding flight so you know all on flight have tested negative as well. Arrive - test again and first 24 hours in your hotel room 'locked in'. On 2nd negative result, free to have remaining 13 days holiday totally safe. Return home

Issues with touch down in Turkey maybe ?

Marketed as 'safe covid-19 free holiday. Not much extra cost than normal. One of few places in world able to offer such ?

Hilltop
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 73 in Discussion

Post by Hilltop »

Are we sure the TRNC is Virus free? Are there no asymptomatic people or people with mild symptoms who just took paracetamol and self isolated? What about illegal migrants/asylum seekers landing on beaches unseen and then in hiding until they can cross the green line? The line is porous, has no one from (eg) Pyla popped over to see family etc?

We may well be virus free, but making that assumption and starting to relax and congratulate ourselves may cost lives. Just my opinion as a lay person!

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 6 of 73 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Hilltop wrote:
Thu 14 May 2020 3:54 am
Are we sure the TRNC is Virus free? Are there no asymptomatic people or people with mild symptoms who just took paracetamol and self isolated? What about illegal migrants/asylum seekers landing on beaches unseen and then in hiding until they can cross the green line? The line is porous, has no one from (eg) Pyla popped over to see family etc?

We may well be virus free, but making that assumption and starting to relax and congratulate ourselves may cost lives. Just my opinion as a lay person!
We can not be sure. However it is within the realms of possible. If that turns out to be the case then we will have a 'new' issue / challenge. I am just looking to that new challenge is all. It is a challenge other places will have too (like NZ maybe, fingers crossed). How do you safely open up to the rest of the world that is not virus free when you have achieved a virus free bubble ? No island or half island can be an island indefinitely. We will have to start letting people in and out of TRNC at some point.

Thecanz59
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 73 in Discussion

Post by Thecanz59 »

I was in the TRNC I March, only managing to return on the very last easyjet flight. Swift and decisive actions managed to contain the spread of corona virus and I think that credit is due. However, there now appears to be a siege mentality and fear of the return threat. This is obviously understandable, however, as pointed out at some stage, the borders will have to reopen. The country relies on tourism and the money it brings. Many citizens must be suffering economically. I can't even imagine how the many migrant, low paid casual workers have fared. The WHO have stated that the virus may never disappear and it has also been stated that a vaccine is a long way off and even if one is found may not eradicate the disease entirely. Testing before flights and on arrival may be a positive step if resources and finances allow. Though maybe, in time, the possibility of infection may just become another aspect of life that the world has to live with. Sadly, there are no quick fixes or easy answers.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 8 of 73 in Discussion

Post by erol »

I am just 'musing' on how that might be done as safely as possible for those visiting and those here in a practical ways that might be workable. Just throwing ideas out there.

Loobyloo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 73 in Discussion

Post by Loobyloo »

Testing in the UK currently is still problematic unreliable results, too long to get the result, so until that improves that’s a non starter. The biggest problem with covid is the effect it has on lungs they become fibrous and if this happens people need to be ventilated and the number of ventilators and ICU trained staff is limited hence the importance of control of the virus.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 73 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Loobyloo wrote:
Thu 14 May 2020 8:34 am
Testing in the UK currently is still problematic unreliable results, too long to get the result, so until that improves that’s a non starter.
That’s my understanding of the situation which is why Erol’s plan is a non runner at the moment.

I think even once the test has improved would TRNC trust another country’s testing?
That will be the sticking point for me.
You have cleared up your problem so why would you trust a country who you might think didn’t do a very efficient job to get the testing right?

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 11 of 73 in Discussion

Post by erol »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Thu 14 May 2020 10:01 am
Loobyloo wrote:
Thu 14 May 2020 8:34 am
Testing in the UK currently is still problematic unreliable results, too long to get the result, so until that improves that’s a non starter.
That’s my understanding of the situation which is why Erol’s plan is a non runner at the moment.

I think even once the test has improved would TRNC trust another country’s testing?
That will be the sticking point for me.
You have cleared up your problem so why would you trust a country who you might think didn’t do a very efficient job to get the testing right?

Ok clearly not explaining myself very well. The test in the UK would be done at private labs under contract from the 'package tour company'. The purpose of these tests is not to reassure the TRNC that the holiday maker is not bringing virus to TRNC. The purpose of these is to reassure the holiday maker that those that are on the plane flying with them are tested negative immediately prior to getting on the flight just like they have been. Everyone on that flight will know everyone else has tested negative , using the same private lab that they have used - which they either trust or do not. If there is no lab in England that they would ever trust, then this package is NOT for them. If however the tour company finds the best private lab with the best tests and can demonstrate that , there will be people who trust such.

This test is ONLY for the benefit of the holidaymaker. Not TRNC. So they know everyone on flight is not infecting them.

THEN when they arrive in TRNC, the TRNC tests them, using its test that it trust. It might want to test twice with 24 hours apart. Lets imagine it does want to do that and it can get result in 24 hours.

Tourist arrive in TRNC (having stayed in auirport hotel in UK, been trested there, had result and got on plane). They Arrive Monday, 9am. They are then TRNC tested and taken to their luxury hotel and locked in their room (along with sumptuous room service etc etc). Tuesday morning they are TRNC tested AGAIN, just in case of a false negative on the first TRNC test. Still locked in, sumptuous room service food, free movies on the TV system, en suite spa bath, nice private balcony etc etc. Wednesday morning their 2nd TRNC test proves negative, they are free to spend the remain 11 days doing what ever they like enjoying all the pleasures of North Cyprus that they are confident is virus free.

Such a package would have some additional cost. The cost of the UK test. The cost of overnight accommodation in the UK. Cost of TRNC tests. But that would be about it and compared to other 'solutions' like fly the plane 1 / 3rd full and then have 14 day quarantine on arrival and again on return home, this system seem to me to be massively more practical ?

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 12 of 73 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Are people saying that in the UK, if you are willing to pay, there are NO private labs that can offer you the best quality tests money can buy ? If they are then I do not believe this is the case. THIS would be the test required by the tour operator for the UK end and included in the package deal. Is this really a non starter ? Is that what I do not understand ? Just confused now.

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 73 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

Is there a reliable test that says you’re virus free?
The swab test, as I understand it, says you have the virus on the day the test is taken.
The antibody test says you have antibodies against the virus which may mean you have had the virus.
But as of right now They don’t seem to know whether that gives you immunity.
And, of course, you could be in the “latent period” (about 3.5 days according to the data). Then there are various following stages during which you may be shedding the virus (but with no symptoms).
A good article can be found here.
So it seems at the minute there’s no real way to tell if anyone is “safe” as far as the virus is concerned?

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 73 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Mowgli597 wrote:
Thu 14 May 2020 12:25 pm

So it seems at the minute there’s no real way to tell if anyone is “safe” as far as the virus is concerned?
Nope.
What we are now doing is trying to remove all risk in a risky world.
As I asked before did anyone ever think about the exit strategy on the lockdown?
You have to open the door at some point

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 15 of 73 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Mowgli597 wrote:
Thu 14 May 2020 12:25 pm
Is there a reliable test that says you’re virus free?
The swab test, as I understand it, says you have the virus on the day the test is taken.
The antibody test says you have antibodies against the virus which may mean you have had the virus.
But as of right now They don’t seem to know whether that gives you immunity.
And, of course, you could be in the “latent period” (about 3.5 days according to the data). Then there are various following stages during which you may be shedding the virus (but with no symptoms).
A good article can be found here.
So I have done a bit more research on test. This may still be wrong but this is my understanding. I am not talking of antibody tests that tell if someone has already had the virus because for this purpose that is not relevant, given we do not know what immunity is granted by infection and how long it lasts and will not know that for a considerable period of time. I am trying to see ways we could safely start tourism in a months time, not next season.

None of this is to do with if you have or show symptoms. That is not relevant here.

The PCR, swab your nose and throat test that determine if you are currently infected with the virus or not, as far as I understand do have a 'lead time' of 3 - 4 days. In that period you could already have sufficient amounts of the virus in your body such that it will eventually increase but too low to show up in such a test as positive. I also understand that in this period whilst the amount is too low to be detected by these test it is also too low to be shedding. You might start shedding some days down the line but if its too low to detect with these test its too low to shed as well.

If the above is the case (and it might not be) then I am imagining a 'package holiday' deal along the following lines.

The tour operators works with a private lab in UK that the TRNC government is 'happy with', that it trusts to carry out PCR tests.

Day one. Tourist arrives at a 'controlled' UK airport hotel. Test swabs are taken. From this point they remain in an 'isolated' environment. They must remain in their hotel room and if they leave then their holiday is cancelled and they lose all their money. Day 2 before they go to the plane the private lab confirms they do not currently have the virus or only have it at levels too low to currently be detected / pass to others. They go directly from this hotel to the plane without coming within 2 meters of anyone else. Strictly enforced. They get on the plane that only has other people who have been through exactly the same process. They arrive in TRNC and are PCR tested again. They go to their TRNC hotel room and are locked in. They stay locked in hotel room, lets day this is late evening evening of day 2. Day three they remain in hotel room. Day four they are tested in the morning, so this is four days after the initial, TRNC trusted test they had in UK and since which they have not come within 2 meters of anyone else not similarly tested. If the result of this test, lets say ready by evening of day 4 is still negative , then with a very very high degree of certainty they and TRNC can say 'they do not carry the virus' and they go out and have knock out meal up at Bellapais Abbey and can enjoy the rest of their holiday, coming and going as they like.

Yes all this will add some time to the start of the holiday. Yes it will require one night locked in UK hotel and 2 more in TRNC hotel. Yes it will cost for the tests. However the tourist will be able to have a holiday where the chance they contract the virus on the plane going to it or whilst they are there is as close to zero as it can be. The TRNC can get at least some tourism going, even this season and regardless of what the state is in the source country (in this example the UK) knowing that the chances such tourists might bring the virus back in to the TRNC is as close to zero as possible.

Maisiemoo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 73 in Discussion

Post by Maisiemoo »

I can't really see this as encouraging tourism, I think many people in the UK.are not even considering holidays abroad this year and resigned themselves to holidaying at home. France is asking their citizens to holiday in France this year.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 17 of 73 in Discussion

Post by erol »

It is very much in the vein of it is better to try and fail than just give up and say there is no point ? If I was in the tourist business in trnc and I am not I think I would be working on basis that right now this season any tourists at all is better than none ?

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 73 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

erol wrote:
Thu 14 May 2020 3:47 pm

..............lets say ready by evening of day 4 is still negative , then with a very very high degree of certainty they and TRNC can say 'they do not carry the virus' and they go out and have knock out meal up at Bellapais Abbey and can enjoy the rest of their holiday, coming and going as they like.

Yes all this will add some time to the start of the holiday. Yes it will require one night locked in UK hotel and 2 more in TRNC hotel. Yes it will cost for the tests. However the tourist will be able to have a holiday where the chance they contract the virus on the plane going to it or whilst they are there is as close to zero as it can be. The TRNC can get at least some tourism going, even this season and regardless of what the state is in the source country (in this example the UK) knowing that the chances such tourists might bring the virus back in to the TRNC is as close to zero as possible.
You are more confident than I am that coronavirus has been completely expunged from the TRNC

I can see two more viable solutions tbh.

1) You are already skint from getting 60-80% of your wages for a serious length of time so maybe don't have the holiday that is going to cost 50% more than you had budgeted for before you got furloughed.

2) Maybe hack into an important TRNC government computer, agree to be extradited and hope for a speedy trial. Chances are you'll get more of a tan during your exercise period while over here. Flights will be free too :)

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 19 of 73 in Discussion

Post by erol »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Thu 14 May 2020 4:47 pm
You are more confident than I am that coronavirus has been completely expunged from the TRNC
I am not confident that we have achieved that. However I think it is well within the realms of possible that within a months time from now many people might be confident we have , including potential tourists and that is all that would matter in regards to the subject of this thread.

I can see two more viable solutions tbh.
EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Thu 14 May 2020 4:47 pm
1) You are already skint from getting 60-80% of your wages for a serious length of time so maybe don't have the holiday that is going to cost 50% more than you had budgeted for before you got furloughed.
You are classing this as a 'solution' to tourism being decimated here in the TRNC ? I am am not sure we have the same understanding as to what the word 'solution' means ?

if you are suggesting it as reason why the one singular solution I am proposing can not work, that is a different matter. If that is the case you may be right. However this virus and the response to it has not affect everyone the same. The lucky, like me for example, have been able to work from home and have some unearned income that to date has not reduced due to virus and response to it. In truth if anything I probably have slightly more disposable cash right now as a result of the virus than without it. I realise I am probably in a minority but I suspect there will be and are others in a situation not that different from me in the UK and other countries that are traditional source tourism countries for TRNC.

If you have any better solutions to suggest please do jump right in. That's solutions using the same meaning of the word I am using.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 73 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Sometime during the last 3? issues of C2D I read a small quotation from a Cabinet Minister who said (I paraphrase) "TRNC will have to adjust to another means of income other than predominantly tourism, and build a country where people come for their Education as Education is our second biggest income"

Dalartokat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 73 in Discussion

Post by Dalartokat »

In this article its proposed a test about 3 days before you leave for holiday.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... overy-plan

Personally I think there is a lot to think about now for a holiday. What hotels, bars and restaurants would you trust to keep hygiene standards etc. would I want to go all inclusive anywhere. Lots to think about now before spending your hard earnt money, but have to take the risk at some time.
If you ever get tired one day of life, take a rest, lean your back on the stone, not people. Cold but safe...

MVP
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 73 in Discussion

Post by MVP »

The average price paid by a package tourist to the TRNC is often frighteningly low, I don't see how the extra costs of hotels and tests would make a holiday viable.
A trusted arrangement between the TRNC and Turkey is probably the the most realistic option.
Something will have to be done soon as state finances are perilously low , and Turkey is in a bad state too so will be reluctant to dish out large sums.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 73 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

erol wrote:
Thu 14 May 2020 5:25 pm

If you have any better solutions to suggest please do jump right in. That's solutions using the same meaning of the word I am using.
There isn’t a solution or certainly not a risk free solution.

What kills your solution is who carries the extra costs?
The tourist industry/airlines, who work on pretty tight margins already, or the tourist who has a lot less disposable income in their pocket?
Also it is over engineered so human nature is such that shortcuts will be taken which mean that it won’t achieve what it sets out to.
Sure you could say that even if it works 99.9% (which it won’t).... but then someone could easily say that the population in general only has a 0.1% chance of getting particularly ill from the virus in the first place.

This is the problem with the prophets of doom, ‘every minute we don’t lockdown or every week we don’t go carbon neutral’ is they brush over the fact that you are going to burn your economy. That is a stone cold fact, there is no speculative modelling there.

So think VERY hard before you (the you is a general you) get bounced into making a snap decision for which there isn’t an exit strategy and be very sure of your (a general your) evidence and very aware of the downside.
These aren’t victimless decisions and as much as we question what if we don’t maybe use equal weight for what if we do.

I find it amazing that Neil Ferguson still had a job let alone his opinions were given any weight.
He speculated that up to 200 million could die from Bird Flu, 282 died in 6 years.
Swine flu would lead to 65,000 deaths in his worst case scenario, 457 died.
Up to 50,000 could die from BSE, 177 died.

Anyone who was paid on results would have lost their job years ago but Ferguson has a safe job so will continue to make outlandish predictions and the government will continue to waste 100s of billions listening to him.

So that’s why I come over as a bit cynical when the scare stories and doomsday predictions start. I guess one day on the theory that a broken clock is right twice a day they might get within 5% of the true result but tbh I hold little faith that they will have a viable solution to reduce the figures anyhow so keep calm and carry on.

I do think that many seem disappointed that they never lived through a war, serious racism, sexism, homophobia or disease and have to invent a crisis

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 73 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

sophie wrote:
Fri 15 May 2020 7:31 am
Sometime during the last 3? issues of C2D I read a small quotation from a Cabinet Minister who said (I paraphrase) "TRNC will have to adjust to another means of income other than predominantly tourism, and build a country where people come for their Education as Education is our second biggest income"
I’m not disrespecting the standard of teaching out here and I’m sure that not every Oxford or Cambridge lecturer is gold standard but how much store does the rest of the world hold in qualifications from an unrecognised TRNC?

Also the revenues for education rely on a similar customer as tourism, foreign visitors so a factor that hits tourism such as this virus must surely impact on education revenues.

They certainly need to diversify but even if they put in the infrastructure to be say the best producers of microprocessors in the world will they be able to freely export them under the current political situation? Then of course putting the infrastructure in for such a venture would more than likely need more than a decade as you need to educate, train and build the infrastructure and that’s if you have the money to commit to such a venture.
It’s a bit like someone who has just lost their bar job saying I need a new income, I’ll start an airline

cambridge
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 73 in Discussion

Post by cambridge »

It’s interesting that NZ, also an island with few outlets to the rest of the world, has had a very similar path to controlling the virus. However they now have the same problem as the TRNC, how to connect with the rest of the world. Luckily for them tourism whilst important is not the dominant factor in their economy. That’s where the problem lies for the TRNC. Whilst the Government has done a good job of eliminating the virus, there has to be concerns were they can go from here. The dominant sector of the economy is tourism, whether through the casino hotels or more conventional avenues. As soon as you open these sectors with the sort of checks that would be acceptable then exposure to the transmission of the virus become possible. In all honesty I cannot see the tourism sector being open this year without some element of risk. Whether the the Government wishes to take that risk!! As an expat who has spent the last 15 years predominantly in the TRNC and has been caught out and stuck in the Uk I will be happy to be isolated on my return as am likely to be in residence for some time. I don’t see a tourist having the same approach.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 26 of 73 in Discussion

Post by erol »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Fri 15 May 2020 12:51 pm
There isn’t a solution or certainly not a risk free solution.
The suggestion I have made is not designed to be risk free and nor do I claim that. It is designed to see if the TRNC can as a tourist destination leverage the almost unique position it has globally of not having had a positive test result for over three weeks to try and attract what few tourists there may still be this seasons, without risking that unique position.
EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
What kills your solution is who carries the extra costs?
There has always been a spectrum of high volume low value tourism through to low volume high value.
EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
This is the problem with the prophets of doom, ‘every minute we don’t lockdown or every week we don’t go carbon neutral’ is they brush over the fact that you are going to burn your economy. That is a stone cold fact, there is no speculative modelling there.
This is imo such a fundamental miss analysis that it requires it own thread. https://kibkomnorthcyprusforum.com/view ... =8&t=51333

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 73 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

I cannot see the suggestion as to being tested at the airport and being quarantined there and again in your hotel in NC as being viable either logistically (how many thousands of other holidaymakers are in the same process?) or attractive.

What about those with children? Want to be couped up with young ones in a hotel room for a few days? What happens if one of you tests positive?

Would you all have to be tested again (and quarantined whilst waiting for the result) before flying home? What are the chances of getting holiday insurance? Nil basically.

How much of a reputation does hospital and medical treatment have in NC?

How hard was it to persuade holidaymakers to come to NC before this outbreak?

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 73 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

Takes about ten hours after landing to get into Hong Kong with test and screening then 14 days quarantine

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 73 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 73 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Hector wrote:
Fri 15 May 2020 4:38 pm
I cannot see the suggestion as to being tested at the airport and being quarantined there and again in your hotel in NC as being viable either logistically (how many thousands of other holidaymakers are in the same process?) or attractive.
It’s a solution, just not a realistic or viable one.

It’s a bit like the day after The Titanic coming up with
future solutions such as some unfeasible way to weld a hole shot while underwater or everyone carry their own individual life boat .
Or we could maybe slow down while going through a field of icebergs like anyone with an iota of common sense would?
It’s anecdotal and hasn’t any peer reviewed scientific papers like options A and B but......

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 31 of 73 in Discussion

Post by erol »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Sat 16 May 2020 5:37 am
Hector wrote:
Fri 15 May 2020 4:38 pm
It’s a solution, just not a realistic or viable one.

It’s a bit like the day after The Titanic coming up with
future solutions such as some unfeasible way to weld a hole shot while underwater or everyone carry their own individual life boat .
Or we could maybe slow down while going through a field of icebergs like anyone with an iota of common sense would?
It’s anecdotal and hasn’t any peer reviewed scientific papers like options A and B but......
No its a bit like being ON the titanic , after it has hit the iceberg and someone saying lets try something, lets use the wooden chairs as life floats, and you saying , nah its a solution just not a realistic or viable one, there is no solution, just accept drowning. Accept drowning and listen to me sounding off about how if only the Captain had used some common sense, as we drown. That seems a more accurate analogy from where I am sitting.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 32 of 73 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

You’ve hit the iceberg so sure throw wooden chairs into the ocean, you might as do something while you wait to drown. Miracles can happen I guess and wood floats I might point out that the hypothermia is going to kill you in 2 minutes.
Jesus how many of these winners have you got?!?
I suggest you hold back and dont really venture an opinion as usual or if you do couch it in such a way as it can be read either way.
Last edited by EnjoyingTheSun on Sat 16 May 2020 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 33 of 73 in Discussion

Post by erol »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Sat 16 May 2020 8:39 am
You’ve hit the iceberg so sure throw wooden chairs into the ocean, you might as do something while you wait to drown. Miracles can happen I guess and wood floats. Maybe try and get one with a loose cover because the hypothermia is also fun.
I wouldn’t be sounding off because I wouldn’t know the details at that time but if somehow I survived I wouldn’t sound off the next time when I might be able to figure out more because I wouldn’t be on the bloody thing. Fool me once....
Which is what I am saying. Let's think about trying something, anything to see if anything more than zero can be salvaged at all, this season. This season IS 'as the ship is going down' and you ARE sounding of about the future, as it is going down, not after we have survived. imo.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 34 of 73 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

erol wrote:
Sat 16 May 2020 8:49 am

Which is what I am saying. Let's think about trying something, anything to see if anything more than zero can be salvaged at all, this season. This season IS 'as the ship is going down' and you ARE sounding of about the future, as it is going now. imo.
Ok I’ll be more optimistic and not mention the hypothermia is going to kill you in 2 minutes max. Personally I would find the good brandy and cigars and enjoy my last minutes on this earth watching you try and tie chairs together and wrap up warm for your long swim :)
Got any more winners?

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 35 of 73 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

just return to the topic
from https://kibkomnorthcyprusforum.com/view ... =8&t=51333
wanderer wrote: ↑
Fri 15 May 2020 8:28 pm
Nearly all countries closed
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/trav ... kdown.html
No mention of us!

https://cypriumnews.com/2020/05/14/trnc ... on-28-may/
https://cypriumnews.com/2020/05/06/turk ... ight-plan/
https://cypriumnews.com/2020/05/06/sout ... he-moment/

and just to remind you also that the RoC mentioned that from juli 1st tourism in cyprus might be possible, but not for UK citizens, as infection rates are too high.

to me, the main problem is not that people get infected during their holidays or at destination.... social distancing, mask and others could solve that problem.
the problem is the flight, as most probably on every (second) flight, with 120 to 200 seats occupied, you will have at least one infected.

the RKI (robert koch institute) mentioned that thermal control at airports are not sufficient.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 36 of 73 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

kibsolar1999 wrote:
Sat 16 May 2020 9:51 am

the problem is the flight, as most probably on every (second) flight, with 120 to 200 seats occupied, you will have at least one infected.
And the cost of the flight. If you remove capacity as I think will happen then you have to put up prices so your TRNC holiday suddenly costs Seychelles money.
So you have people who have had a break from work anyhow and might not feel they need a holiday, or don't have the spare money or might think I'll hang on and rather than go to TRNC this year at these prices I'll hold on for 9 moths and go long haul to somewhere more exotic.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 37 of 73 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Maybe people from UK will start having holidays in the UK. At my advanced age, I have still seen many more foreign countries than I have parts of the UK.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 38 of 73 in Discussion

Post by erol »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Sat 16 May 2020 10:50 am
kibsolar1999 wrote:
Sat 16 May 2020 9:51 am

And the cost of the flight. If you remove capacity as I think will happen then you have to put up prices so your TRNC holiday suddenly costs Seychelles money.
So you have people who have had a break from work anyhow and might not feel they need a holiday, or don't have the spare money or might think I'll hang on and rather than go to TRNC this year at these prices I'll hold on for 9 moths and go long haul to somewhere more exotic.
Testing and controlled isolation before getting on flight could allow for risk of catching infection on the flight to be massively reduced without having to reduce capacity on the flight . That was the point.

You do understand that not everyone has been on a break from work don't you ? Some people, considerable amounts, quite possibly a majority even have been working through out this crisis. Many of those have been working harder and under vastly more stress than normal. Let's just ignore this reality shall we to suit your arguments ?

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 39 of 73 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

erol wrote:
Sat 16 May 2020 1:05 pm

You do understand that not everyone has been on a break from work don't you ? Some people, considerable amounts, quite possibly a majority even have been working through out this crisis. Many of those have been working harder and under vastly more stress than normal. Let's just ignore this reality shall we to suit your arguments ?
Ok let’s say a majority, what’s fair 65%? Ok that’s still 35% off your target audience.
Generally those who have been working harder under more stress are the poorly paid so they probably can’t afford a holiday at the best of times and will be extremely price sensitive but good luck with those as your demographic.
It’s a novel enough idea and certainly original so approach hotels, airlines, the tourist board and see what they say. Personally I think at best you’ll get a thanks for giving it some thought at worst they’ll laugh their arses off.

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 40 of 73 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

I understand the motive and the need as well as applaud the suggestions for attracting and enabling tourists to once again holiday in NC. At the same time realism ought to also be considered.

What caused NC to be an attractive family holiday destination prior to the virus, bearing in mind the longer flight time compared to say to the Costas? Low cost and value for money i.e. all inclusive, I would suggest. How much repeat business did the hotels get? What extra value and great holiday experience did holidaymakers get from visiting NC to make them want to return and recommend it to others?

Travelling with a family is challenging enough (been there, done that, got the ~T shirt) , the less hassle the better. It's bad enough travelling with children at normal times. If you add additional costs, uncertainty, health checks and possible quarantine into the mix, then I'd just kiss that goodbye. Hell, even though I'm no longer in that position I wouldn't go for it either.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 41 of 73 in Discussion

Post by erol »

From 1974 to 2001 ish the TRNC was neither cheap or easy to get to or offering high comparative standards in terms of facilities. It did attract some tourism none the less. In part because it was not a normal high volume low cost destination and offered a form of uniqueness or special ness not found elsewhere. In addition the people were genuinely friendly as only an isolated people can be. Every guest was special because they were so rare. This year our uniqueness could be the status of the virus in the general population and we could treat the few tourist we might get with the kind of Cypriot welcome that used to be so much more common pre 2000 when every tourist was special and valued. Travelling with kids is challenging at the best of times but the idea that your kids could run around safe and free, from infection or anything else, once you got over the hurdles might be attractive to some maybe ?

guru
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 42 of 73 in Discussion

Post by guru »

It's not just tourists. What about us 'swallows' that can't get there either? We spend money that helps the local economy too.

Our trip in March was cancelled and at this stage October for us is looking doubtful too. In October we have flights booked via LCA for five of us but if the crossing is still closed then we won't be going. Also, if we have to quarantine for 14 days in TRNC we won't be going either, as it'll be time to fly back to the UK b4 the quarantine ends. We usually have around 4-5 weeks a year in TRNC but this year it's looking like a big fat ZERO I'm very sad to say.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 43 of 73 in Discussion

Post by erol »

guru wrote:
Sat 16 May 2020 9:05 pm
It's not just tourists. What about us 'swallows' that can't get there either? We spend money that helps the local economy too.

Our trip in March was cancelled and at this stage October for us is looking doubtful too. In October we have flights booked via LCA for five of us but if the crossing is still closed then we won't be going. Also, if we have to quarantine for 14 days in TRNC we won't be going either, as it'll be time to fly back to the UK b4 the quarantine ends. We usually have around 4-5 weeks a year in TRNC but this year it's looking like a big fat ZERO I'm very sad to say.
So if you could test and quarantine for three days rather than 14 would you still come this year ? Would you worry about infection on the flight ? If you did would some system that added say 10-15% of the cost of the flight but ensured all on it were tested in a way that meant they either were not infected or not infected to a level that they could spread it be something you would consider ?

MVP
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 44 of 73 in Discussion

Post by MVP »

A one way flight from Chicago to London next weekend is the best part of £1000 one way economy, I guess due to social distancing on flights , extra checks etc

We are perhaps looking at people affording to fly only once a year if your wealthy.
Lack of travel insurance for covid will also a major determining factor, would a package tour accept customers without any cover?

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 45 of 73 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

MVP wrote:
Sun 17 May 2020 9:02 am

We are perhaps looking at people affording to fly only once a year if your wealthy.
Lack of travel insurance for covid will also a major determining factor, would a package tour accept customers without any cover?
Just say it is a fantastic plan and why didn't we do it years ago it's easier

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 46 of 73 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Which leads to more cost ? Flying a plane 1/3rd full in order that passengers can maintain 'distance' from each other during the flight. Or flying it full with passengers all having been tested before getting on the flight , even if that involves an overnight stay in an airport hotel before the flight as well (and I suspect there may be deals to be had for such stays right now) ?

Which is more likely to be effective are reducing the chance that any given passenger contracts covid-19 from another passenger ?

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 47 of 73 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Your 100% right Erol I’m sure that the tourist industry will carry out your plan to the letter once you have carefully edited the plan after they have carried out a feasible plan

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 48 of 73 in Discussion

Post by erol »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Sun 17 May 2020 4:37 pm
Your 100% right Erol I’m sure that the tourist industry will carry out your plan to the letter once you have carefully edited the plan after they have carried out a feasible plan
You are certainly much better at sarcasm than you are at coming up with any sort of constructive suggestion of your own. I concede. You beat me hands down at sarcasm. You are simply the best. better than all the rest.

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 49 of 73 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

I
t's not just tourists. What about us 'swallows' that can't get there either? We spend money that helps the local economy too.
I'm with guru being a swallow as well. We have usually for many years spent 5-6 months a year in NC, our visit this March/April was cancelled, of course and our June/July is also highly unlikely. Will our September/October be cancelled the same? Probably.

Our previous plans for visiting NC has changed big time prior to the virus with the unwelcome change in residency visa rules for the 60+ which completely altered how long we would visit (we have reduced visits to under 30 days) to avoid the hassle of getting residency (please, don't give me the 'it's so easy to get' sermon), coupled with the similar 30 day visa rules when flying into the south with Brexit. One needs a computer programme to work out when each sides 180 day starts.

Our perceived view of NC politicians attitude to us as 'aliens' (are the new residency rules just the start?) caused us to feel uncomfortable and unwelcome. We have decided that our long relationship was over and to sell up. We still intend to go down that route although just how long it will now take to sell our villas is anyones guess.

Maisiemoo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 50 of 73 in Discussion

Post by Maisiemoo »

Hector wrote:
Sun 17 May 2020 5:28 pm
I

Our previous plans for visiting NC has changed big time prior to the virus with the unwelcome change in residency visa rules for the 60+ which completely altered how long we would visit (we have reduced visits to under 30 days) to avoid the hassle of getting residency (please, don't give me the 'it's so easy to get' sermon), coupled with the similar 30 day visa rules when flying into the south with Brexit. One needs a computer programme to work out when each sides 180 day starts.

Our perceived view of NC politicians attitude to us as 'aliens' (are the new residency rules just the start?) caused us to feel uncomfortable and unwelcome. We have decided that our long relationship was over and to sell up. We still intend to go down that route although just how long it will now take to sell our villas is anyones guess.
Sadly Hector I am with you every word there. We too decided not to go down the residency route for personal reasons.(and were derided because it's so easy!) I see our 26 years of association with the TRNC coming to an end but heavens alone knows how long it will take to sell our property. Anyone want a villa and contents, going cheap?

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”