Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Crossing point questions

•   Message 1 of 102 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

Hi Everyone,
I know the crossing points have only just reopened, has any ex pat crossed and had problems? Not wanting to be ungrateful but no "I have heard." or" I believe answers."

The reason I ask is that I have booked flights for next February from Larnaca to the UK, I also need to book flights to Dubai for September, is that possible with the 90 day rule, are the South side enforcing that please? I certainly need the Feb flights to London for a flight to Barbados.

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

Re: Crossing point questions

•   Message 2 of 102 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

whether you like it or not.. i will give an "heard/believe" answer...

in a forum a guy said that, if an UK individual crosses the greenline from the north (eg arrival in ECN) and enter RoC, your "90 day in 180 day visa" in the RoC starts.
if you go back north and leave eg, via ECN , you may have probs to ever enter via LCA/Pafos again, because your "departure" was never registered.
so, he mentioned, if you enter the RoC even for a day trip, you have to leave via LCA within 90 days (and pls do not come back within the next 90 days...at least not to LCA and also pls do not cross from north...)
that was explained to him from SBA officers...

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 102 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

OK, I live here and have done for the past 14 years - only time I have "Left" was to go to the South for shopping or a trip out. My last point of entry to the Island was Kyrenia - came on the high speed ferry - so I guess I entered "Cyprus" by an illegal port. Well, that was a passport away and there is nothing in my new passport that says where I entered.

I don't want to leave the Island again and have no intention of ever doing so - apart from end of days when I will be transported across the Green Line (if it still exists) in a box to be deposited in a hole in the ground at Dhekelia Military Cemetery - but what about if I want to go shopping and spend my hard earned money in the South?

It seems to me that I will be allowed to do that for 90 days out of every 180 days and that suits me just fine!

Question is: Will I need a visa to do that and if so where would I get one from? Never needed one before but having been reduced to a 3rd country national against my will - and until such time as the North becomes a full member of the EU - will I need one now?
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 4 of 102 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

kibsolar1999 wrote:
Tue 08 Jun 2021 5:28 pm
whether you like it or not.. i will give an "heard/believe" answer...

in a forum a guy said that, if an UK individual crosses the greenline from the north (eg arrival in ECN) and enter RoC, your "90 day in 180 day visa" in the RoC starts.
if you go back north and leave eg, via ECN , you may have probs to ever enter via LCA/Pafos again, because your "departure" was never registered.
so, he mentioned, if you enter the RoC even for a day trip, you have to leave via LCA within 90 days (and pls do not come back within the next 90 days...at least not to LCA and also pls do not cross from north...)
that was explained to him from SBA officers...
Questions?
If I enter RoC from Lokmaci/Ledras walk over border with British Passport.
1) Will I need a visa
2) OK, the 90 day rule starts when I cross over, but if I return on same day, will that not be recorded that I had left RoC? Previously they used to scan passport in and out.

So much is very unclear at the moment. I think the only way we are going to find out is when people cross over and report. I will attempt this sometime next week.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

Butterflyaway
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 102 in Discussion

Post by Butterflyaway »

I think all the possible issues apply ONLY to UK passport holders.

Not those with TRNC/ROC/EU or dual citizenship.

Just having a Cypriot name, might be enough to avoid the issues, as has been reported when trying to obtain ROC permission to drive paper.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 102 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Soner, it is always the same matey. The answers will always be the same as well with the RoC, it will depend upon a). Which crossing you used. b). What the interpretation of the rules was by the “Officer” you dealt with. c). How busy that crossing point is at the time of crossing.

It will change from crossing to crossing and the time of day as well, how old you are, how long you have lived here, what your attitude is, what you say you are crossing for and how you cross - walking, taxi or self drive - along with any stamps you may have in your passport.

This is going to take months to sort out and even then it will change at a moments notice. The best you can hope for is getting a “feel” for what you need.

A few questions spring to mind - can you take your own TRNC vehicle across if you are not Cypriot? What is your age limit for driving in the RoC? What license to drive must you have? Where and how do you obtain your visa?

It is a minefield and I always found it easier to cross into the SBA but I expect that will have changed as well!

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 102 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

On the North Cyprus Ex Pats uncut facebook group there is a thread running about this. You can view it without joining but not comment. I will not copy and paste it here as it is not my thread but I will put a very basic version of what it says.

The person posting stated that they went to cross into the South at Pyla yesterday and were told that now the South will give you a 90 day tourist visa when you enter. Apparently the SBA also now can dispense the visas. If you return to the North you are not deemed as leaving the South so if you return to the South for whatever reason after your 90 days you will be deemed as late leaving and fined.

I assume if you try and enter the South after the 90 days you will be refused entry unless you pay the fine.

Apparently there is also a mention of it on the BRS site but I cannot find that at the moment.

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 8 of 102 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

soner
If I enter RoC from Lokmaci/Ledras walk over border with British Passport.
1) Will I need a visa
2) OK, the 90 day rule starts when I cross over, but if I return on same day, will that not be recorded that I had left RoC? Previously they used to scan passport in and out.

So much is very unclear at the moment. I think the only way we are going to find out is when people cross over and report. I will attempt this sometime next week.

yes,... but you may have to be careful...
because, the guy said he was told that "permitted to enter" third country nationals will be "checked in" (visa stamp at green line), but not "checked out", as the north is part of the RoC. (and NOT as you suggested that you "left" the RoC).

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 102 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

So what about if you want to cross from North for day and back and are resident here? I have a work permit uk passport and my partner a kimlik plus uk passport

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 102 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

Should have been flying into Larnaca tomorrow to visit NC for a month (less than 30 days to be on the safe side) but cancelled due to the uncertainty of it all. As much as I want to visit our villa after all this time, it's just not worth it in the current situation.

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 11 of 102 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

forestpixie wrote:
Wed 09 Jun 2021 11:27 am
So what about if you want to cross from North for day and back and are resident here? I have a work permit uk passport and my partner a kimlik plus uk passport
it seems it is totally irrelevant for the RoC authorities whether you are a resident in the North or have a TRNC working permit or whatever
only important, it seems, is your nationality.

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 12 of 102 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

Hector wrote:
Wed 09 Jun 2021 11:34 am
Should have been flying into Larnaca tomorrow to visit NC for a month (less than 30 days to be on the safe side) but cancelled due to the uncertainty of it all. As much as I want to visit our villa after all this time, it's just not worth it in the current situation.
it seems that your travel plans should not create problems.
in via LCA, two crossings under covid regulations, back via LCA and all within 90 days...

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 102 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

kibsolar1999 wrote:
Wed 09 Jun 2021 11:35 am
forestpixie wrote:
Wed 09 Jun 2021 11:27 am
it seems it is totally irrelevant for the RoC authorities whether you are a resident in the North or have a TRNC working permit or whatever
only important, it seems, is your nationality.
Ah i was hoping if you're resident the 90 out of 180 wouldn't apply

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 102 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

RoC Permit to Drive - The only place that is currently issuing the old permit for your TRNC registered vehicle is Metahan crossing - as far as I know. So if you do take your car - presuming that you can and are under 70 and have a valid UK license - then that will be day 1 of 90 for those who live here permanently? The days roll by and you go across three or four times every 30 days so you make the most of your insurance. The final day (89 because you don't trust the counting in the RoC) and you make your last trip.

Day 90 arrives and you are now out of your validity on your visa so you can not cross back to the RoC for another 90 days without paying a fine??? This because you did not leave the South as the RoC don not deem you as leaving when you return to the North??? So, how did I get into the RoC in the first place to obtain a visa if the North does not exist? I did not enter via a recognized entry point so I could not have got there anyway? Looks like for me that the last time I entered in that case as NEVER! But if I did enter it was before I was required to have a visa as I did not need one being an EU citizen at that time.

How was it that defined Churchill Russia? If he was around today I wonder how he would define the RoC. I will save you looking it up to find the answer.

"Famously, Winston Churchill defined Russia as "a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma," and his words in 1939 spoke eloquently to the Western sense of Moscow as the "other" - an inscrutable and menacing land that plays by its own rules, usually to the detriment of those who choose more open regulations."

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 102 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

We were planning to do 14 days in the south and then head north as we are in a red list country. Turns out that we need a document from the Cypriot courts to say that we have spent 14 days in the south. Seems ludicrous.

susiesusie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 102 in Discussion

Post by susiesusie »

The facts were posted by the British residents society a few days ago which totally go against what is being said on this thread. Would hope this thread has got lost in translation. Cant imagine we go shopping and return the same day then we have to leave the iand within 90 days. Sounds preposterous .
B.r.s was told by the relevant authorities we could to basically revert back to what we used to do with the exception of problems if you drove over.
Totally unsure now of what is the flavour of the day.

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 102 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

susiesusie wrote:
Wed 09 Jun 2021 1:54 pm
The facts were posted by the British residents society a few days ago which totally go against what is being said on this thread. Would hope this thread has got lost in translation. Cant imagine we go shopping and return the same day then we have to leave the iand within 90 days. Sounds preposterous .
B.r.s was told by the relevant authorities we could to basically revert back to what we used to do with the exception of problems if you drove over.
Totally unsure now of what is the flavour of the day.
I got the same mail from BRS, it sounded like the authorities on the South side had agreed to open the crossings and go back to how it was before they closed? Now very confused! Thats why I started this thread, I wanted first hand knowledge from those who have crossed. A friend of mine crossed a few days ago with no problem. The problem with these threads as I have said is " I believe" or I have heard" not, I went yesterday this is what happened.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 102 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

"B.r.s was told by the relevant authorities" - be careful here. The relevant authorities that BRS were talking to were the British High Commission (BHC), which as far as I am aware, have absolutely no power to say what the RoC can/will allow.

Now if the BRS had talked to the RoC relevant authorities then I would tend to believe them more than now. The fact that the BRS were informed by the BHC that everything - up till the 7th of July - regarding the crossing would revert to pre Brexit times is strewn with pitfalls, as the RoC are in the EU and the EU has rules that must be obeyed regarding the 3rd Country Nationals like the British.

I will wait and see, with my thoughts always on the turmoil that occurred over the withdrawal of the residency "Handshake Agreement" with the "TRNC relevant authorities" in mind!

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 102 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

UK Citizens Entry to the TRNC via ROC This has got tangled up in covid but shows how the crossing works or doesn't
https://www.infonorthcyprus.com/roc-cat ... quirements

Since the UK left the European Union (EU), the UK is now classified as a third country and visa and immigration rules for 3rd country nationals now apply to all UK citizens. This has changed UK Citizens’ rights of access to Cyprus, as UK Citizens no longer have the right of ‘Freedom of Movement’ granted to all EU Citizens.

Since Brexit, UK Citizens are entitled to ‘visa free’ access to Cyprus for 90 days in every 180 days. This means anyone who enters via the Republic of Cyprus can remain on the island for up to 90 days in every 180 days. If UK citizens wish to remain on the island for a longer period they must obtain a residency permit from the Republic of Cyprus (note: TRNC Residency Permits are not recognised). Residents of the TRNC are not permitted to apply for a Republic of Cyprus Residency Permit, only those UK Citizens who live within the Republic of Cyprus.

According to the Green Line Regulation, anyone with a valid visa (a third country ‘visa free’ entry is classified as a valid visa) may cross the green line into the TRNC and return. Any restrictions to foreigners crossing who hold a valid visa, is a breach of an International Treaty. In 2020 Greek Cypriot restrictions to Green Line Crossings were allowed as a result of Covid-19, however, as the threat of Covid-19 decreases these restrictions will be removed and movement across the borders between the North and the South should be allowed again.

The following is a summary of the current implications for those people wishing to enter and cross to and from the South.

​May 2021 onwards
From 1st May UK Citizens who have had 2 doses of the Covid-19 vaccine will be permitted to enter the RoC without restrictions (method of proof not yet agreed). Those who have not had 2 doses of the vaccine will need to meet the requirements of the Country Classification system (see below).

Crossing to and from the TRNC
The following summarises the implications of the Brexit Changes on UK Citizens rights to cross into and out of the TRNC. There has been considerable debate recently with respect to whether UK Citizens will be able to cross into the TRNC. The following guidance has been verified with the British High Commission.

Tourist (those who stay in Cyprus < 90day in every rolling 180 days)
Entry to and exist from the TRNC is allowed under the Green Line Regulation

Resident (those who stay >90 days in Cyprus in every 180 days)

Generally, Residents who remain in Cyprus for more than 90 days will not be permitted to cross into the RoC, as they will have either entered into the country via an illegal port of entry (Ercan) or overstayed their visa, and hence be liable to a penalty. The following covers various scenarios and the implications:

1. Last entry to the TRNC via Ercan – crossing into RoC not permitted

2. Last entry to the TRNC via Larnaca/Paphos – crossing to the RoC permitted only if you entered Cyprus <90 days earlier and you have not exceeded your 90 days in every rolling 180 days allowance. Once you have exceeded your 90 days in 180 days allowance you cannot cross into the RoC and must exit the country from Ercan, as you will be in breach of your Cyprus ‘visa free’ travel visa.

3. Last exit from TRNC via Ercan (before January 2021) – arrival at Larnaca/Paphos permitted and crossing to the TRNC permitted. After 90 days you will not be able to exit via Larnaca/Paphos, but must exit via Ercan (as 2 above)

4. Last entry and exit from TRNC via Ercan (after January 2021) – arrival at Larnaca/Paphos is permitted as your previous entry and exit did not involve entry via the RoC, so provided you have not been in Cyprus in the 90 days prior to entry you are permitted to enter.

5. Last entry from Larnaca and exit from TRNC via Ercan (after January 2021) – arrival at Larnaca/Paphos not permitted as you exited the country from an illegal port and hence you are in breach of your previous visa conditions.

6. Last exit from TRNC via Larnaca/Paphos – arrival at Larnaca/Paphos and crossing to the TRNC is permitted, provided you have not been in Cyprus in the last 90 days, or less (i.e. your entry does not breach your 90 day ‘visa free’ visa).

Full details of the rules for entry to Cyprus are shown at the following link:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advic ... quirements

Source: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advic ... quirements; British High Commission, Cyprus; http://www.pio.gov.cy/coronavirus/eng/c ... s-releases

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 102 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Wanderer, excellent post! As a 3rd country national that entered via an illegal port I am truly stuffed - lol. If I was a swallow it would be fine but because I am resident here - unlucky son, you get to stay.

Well “Phooey”, I will cheerfully carry on spending my money here in support of the TRNC, a country that I love! The RoC can either grow up and join the World or slide off the edge of it - good luck to them all.

Is’nt a brandy at the evening a wonderful thing - hic? Let’s you tell it like it is - lol. Have fun out there people and stay safe!!

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 102 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

waddo you can leave via Eca and re enter via larnaca leave via Larnaca and re-enter via ercan but when you cross the border from the North you have to have entered and left via Larnaca within the 90/180 window

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 102 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

waddo wrote:
Wed 09 Jun 2021 5:39 pm
Wanderer, excellent post! As a 3rd country national that entered via an illegal port I am truly stuffed - lol. If I was a swallow it would be fine but because I am resident here - unlucky son, you get to stay.

Well “Phooey”, I will cheerfully carry on spending my money here in support of the TRNC, a country that I love! The RoC can either grow up and join the World or slide off the edge of it - good luck to them all.

Is’nt a brandy at the evening a wonderful thing - hic? Let’s you tell it like it is - lol. Have fun out there people and stay safe!!
Ah I think we are in the same boat. Last time I left here was Ercan to Heathrow and Heathrow to Ercan November before our very first lockdown. Looks like no trip to the South for me anymore.

iancrumpy
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 23 of 102 in Discussion

Post by iancrumpy »

forestpixie wrote:
Thu 10 Jun 2021 5:12 am
Last time I left here was Ercan to Heathrow and Heathrow to Ercan November before our very first lockdown. Looks like no trip to the South for me anymore.
That was before we became a non-EU country, so you can take a trip ... but the 90-day clock will start ticking from your first south-side visit.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 102 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

With all this ridiculous behaviour from the RoC re crossings and how difficult they are making it for 3rd party countries, I find it amazing that people I have spoken to lately, are still working out how they can go for a days shopping. Some are having serious withdrawal symptoms not being able to visit Mall of Cyprus, Ikea etc. We used to go twice and sometimes only once a year. At that time we stocked up on shoes, underwear, well made sweaters and trousers etc, but its not life changing if we don't buy them from the South anymore.

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 102 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

Thanks to everyone for your contributions to this thread, some very useful information there. So, if we fly our from Larnaca in September, then fly back via Ercan, can we still fly out of Larnaca in February next year and return to Larnaca 14 days later?

iancrumpy
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 26 of 102 in Discussion

Post by iancrumpy »

Mollie the cat wrote:
Thu 10 Jun 2021 7:35 am
So, if we fly our from Larnaca in September, then fly back via Ercan, can we still fly out of Larnaca in February next year and return to Larnaca 14 days later?
Seeing as you'll come back (from Dubai) through Ercan, then you should be fine.
Don't take any south-side visits in June or October/November to get the 90-day clock ticking.

I know you want "first-hand knowledge" and not hearsay, but we will have to wait until September to find out for certain how the south-side authorities are going to implement the 90-days-in-a-180-days regulations.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 102 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Don't want to burst anybody's balloons here - just a seeker of truth (In Cyprus?) but also one with a sense of humor!

Can I point out this as stated in post number 19 by "wanderer" above - "1. Last entry to the TRNC via Ercan – crossing into RoC not permitted"

The BRS have stated - following discussions with the BHC - that there is a "Potential" for the RoC to refuse entry to those 3rd country nationals who have TRNC residency stamps in their passports and may just turn you round again. To my mind this is a further example of the two faces of the RoC, who on one face refuse to acknowledge any documentation produced by the TRNC and on the other face "May" refuse entry to any who display a TRNC document in their passports!

I tried to make a simple "Look Up" chart to make it easy, then I made a "Look Up" chart to make sense of the first chart, then I gave up! To try and make it easier I used post number 19 information and discovered the following:

Point 1 - Covered above.
Point 2 - My last entry was via Kyrenia - so that is not applicable to me.
Point 3 - My last exit from the TRNC was in January 2007 but Point 1 means I have entered since then so can not go South.
Point 4 - Not applicable as I entered in June 2007 and am still here!
Point 5 - Not applicable, not entered or exited anywhere since Jan 2021.
Point 6 - Not applicable either as I last exited via RoC in Nov 1998, but Point 1 still says NO!

So, if I still want my MacD's breakfast just outside Alfamega at a cost of 5 euros it will cost me 343 euros to get back and forth to Larnaca first and then a taxi up to Nicosia and back and a total of two days of flights plus PCR tests etc - lol.

So my only hope is this from the BRS - "It would seem that in the short to medium term things should be as they were prior to the closure of the Crossings pre-Brexit". Once I have recovered from the brain ache I may even try that and just wonder how short the "Short Term" will be.

Don't be depressed, it will all work out in the end I am sure and one day I may even get to Dhekelia for the best fish and chips on the Island again - or not. Take care out there people.

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 28 of 102 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

benjaminbutton wrote:
Thu 10 Jun 2021 7:20 am
..... ridiculous behaviour from the RoC re crossings and how difficult they are making it for 3rd party countries....
the only thing they try is to implement their sovereignty and "register" you (or reject you...) when crossing.
of course, once you entered a country, you then have to leave the country through a "border gate under control".
i believe it is also illegal to leave Britain in, eg, a private aircraft without checkout and people who do would have difficulties to enter a year later?
the rules for 3rd party countries are not much different as the UK rules, or?

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 102 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

It really is quite simple.
UK citizens hold no right of entry or passage through or into the European Union.
Given the attitude of the ROC against the TRNC and supporters or patrons of same. There is a very clear case that attempts to enter or passage from TRNC to or from the ROC could meet with a varying degree of hassle, hostility and hindrance.
No one can answer directly upon what you can and cannot do. It is down to just guess work and luck.
What is certain is that there is no legal right of passage or entry for non Europeans and aliens.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 102 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

waz-24-7 Your last word on above message reminds me when I had to visit RAF Mildenhall (occupied by US personnel) and each time I reported into guard room at the main entrance ALIEN was stamped across the paperwork. I got to know the guards and one said to me "please don't take it personally ma'am"

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 102 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Yes indeed. the label "Alien" is taken and understood rather more strongly by Brits than others.
Its rather common in most countries where special entry permissions or visas are required.

Its the luck of the draw in Cyprus. Some will just stroll through the borders just like I used to. The . uncertainty is the the concern and I think most UK TRNC visitors will now resort to the more expensive and time costly Ercan route.

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 32 of 102 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

waz It would not be much of a question if Turkey wasn't on the red list meaning 10 days and a couple of grand for bread and jam in heathrow

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 33 of 102 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

wanderer wrote:
Fri 11 Jun 2021 4:40 pm
waz It would not be much of a question if Turkey wasn't on the red list meaning 10 days and a couple of grand for bread and jam in heathrow

Ah, the joys of Brexit! :)

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 34 of 102 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Now, now Keith. You know you are not allowed to have your own opinion on Brexit! If you do you will only end up being called something stupid that makes others feel better.

Did you see the picture of Boris the Liar at the G7 - he took a plane from London to Cornwall because he really believes in reducing the carbon footprint of the UK - I think it summed up the whole thing.

The answer is "Pick a place to live out your life - and stay there". No problems with Red, Orange, Yellow, Green countries then, you are where you are and happy to be here - lol. Take care out there matey.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 35 of 102 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Keithcaley wrote:
Fri 11 Jun 2021 5:05 pm
wanderer wrote:
Fri 11 Jun 2021 4:40 pm

Ah, the joys of Brexit! :)
OR being a European alien.

Yes indeed.
It is post pandemic when the real costs will emerge.

Accessing the TRNC for UK citizens will certainly be different.
The longer term negative effect upon British tourists bringing valuable revenue to the North is yet to be measured
Likewise any UK investors are less likely to choose the North given the new challenges of access and associated costs .

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 36 of 102 in Discussion

Post by Hedge-fund »

Since Brexit 3 friends have bought properties in the TRNC and 2 others have signed multi year long rentals.

In the real world people just get on with it.

AFC
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 37 of 102 in Discussion

Post by AFC »

Resilience is not a justification

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 38 of 102 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Hedge-fund wrote:
Fri 11 Jun 2021 10:39 pm
Since Brexit 3 friends have bought properties in the TRNC and 2 others have signed multi year long rentals.

That's great news and I certainly wish them well

Of course we must get on with it. Nothing wrong there either.
My opinions are clear. It has become more difficult and expensive to get to my House in Northern Cyprus.

There is however a case that UK ex pats may choose TRNC against others because of the NEW challenges of settling in EU countries such as Spain and France.

Regardless.
Not being a European with the rights and Privileges that awarded me ; its a negative in every respect of travelling and visiting Europe including the whole of Cyprus.

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 39 of 102 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

iancrumpy wrote:
Thu 10 Jun 2021 6:54 am
forestpixie wrote:
Thu 10 Jun 2021 5:12 am
Last time I left here was Ercan to Heathrow and Heathrow to Ercan November before our very first lockdown. Looks like no trip to the South for me anymore.
That was before we became a non-EU country, so you can take a trip ... but the 90-day clock will start ticking from your first south-side visit.
Oh :-(

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 40 of 102 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Sat 12 Jun 2021 10:37 am
Hedge-fund wrote:

That's great news and I certainly wish them well

Of course we must get on with it. Nothing wrong there either.
My opinions are clear. It has become more difficult and expensive to get to my House in Northern Cyprus.

There is however a case that UK ex pats may choose TRNC against others because of the NEW challenges of settling in EU countries such as Spain and France.

Regardless.
Not being a European with the rights and Privileges that awarded me ; its a negative in every respect of travelling and visiting Europe including the whole of Cyprus.

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 41 of 102 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Hedge-fund wrote:

You now have the privilege of being a Uk citizen with the right to elect a government that makes the rules for you, rather than having rules imposed by unelected foreign bureaucrats who you cannot remove.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 42 of 102 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Gee, thanks! Maybe I should have asked Boris what rules he made for me in the TRNC but I did not want to disturb him at his BBQ on the beach while he watched the Red Arrows entertain the G7 party! So glad my income tax is being used wisely at last! In any case Brexit has nothing to do with crossing point questions, it is just something we are stuck with.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 43 of 102 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Brazen wrote:
Sat 12 Jun 2021 4:36 pm
waz-24-7 wrote:
Hedge-fund wrote:

You now have the privilege of being a Uk citizen with the right to elect a government that makes the rules for you, rather than having rules imposed by unelected foreign bureaucrats who you cannot remove.
Thanks,
I've always been British and a UK citizen ; so no change there.

If I want to go to, trade with, or buy from the EU I must abide by their laws and bureaucracy. No change there either except that the privileges and advantages that I had , having an EU passport ,have been forfeited.

Hey. I guess you are right on the wonderful utopia that we now have here in UK tho.
I've seen nothing that makes me glad. Particularly regarding getting to my house in Cyprus that, as a non European, has become less accessible certainly.

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 44 of 102 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

waddo wrote:
Sat 12 Jun 2021 7:11 pm
Gee, thanks! Maybe I should have asked Boris what rules he made for me in the TRNC but I did not want to disturb him at his BBQ on the beach while he watched the Red Arrows entertain the G7 party! So glad my income tax is being used wisely at last! In any case Brexit has nothing to do with crossing point questions, it is just something we are stuck with.
Boris has got no control over rules in the TRNC so asking him would achieve nothing. Perhaps you should be asking the EU what rules they have made for you in the TRNC as it is part of the EU? I seem to remember that they were going to make many very advantageous ones if they voted for the Annan plan , so perhaps you could also ask them why those were never implemented?

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 45 of 102 in Discussion

Post by Hedge-fund »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Sat 12 Jun 2021 8:23 pm
Brazen wrote:
waz-24-7 wrote:

Thanks,

If I want to go to, trade with, or buy from the EU I must abide by their laws and bureaucracy. No change there either except that the privileges and advantages that I had , having an EU passport ,have been forfeited.

Hey. I guess you are right on the wonderful utopia that we now have here in UK tho.
I've seen nothing that makes me glad. Particularly regarding getting to my house in Cyprus that, as a non European, has become less accessible certainly.
I don't believe EU passports exist........yet.

Also I would advise anyone not happy living in the UK and yearning to live in the eu to kindly bugger off and live there.

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 46 of 102 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

Crossing point questions

- not personal OPINIONS about "Brexit"..... search and contribute to "Politics"....

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 47 of 102 in Discussion

Post by Hedge-fund »

jofra wrote:
Sat 12 Jun 2021 9:59 pm
Crossing point questions

- not personal OPINIONS about "Brexit"..... search and contribute to "Politics"....

Couldn't agree more but the same poster keeps knocking my country and worshipping the eu on this forum. As long as he is allowed to...then challenges have to be allowed.

If all brexit references are moved to the politics section I think that would be fair and welcomed. Any threads that the poster tries to move towards anti UK/Brexit and pro eu should be moved too.

A cancer on this forum.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 48 of 102 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Hedge-fund wrote:
Sat 12 Jun 2021 9:24 pm
waz-24-7 wrote:
Sat 12 Jun 2021 8:23 pm
Brazen wrote:

Thanks,

I don't believe EU passports exist........yet.

Also I would advise anyone not happy living in the UK and yearning to live in the eu to kindly bugger off and live there.

OMG
that's a sensible notion indeed. I think not. Did that come from Mr Farage possibly?

Tell that to the Scottish that likely now want to leave the United Kingdom.
Tell that to the Northern Irish Unionists who are likely to pick up arms along with the republicans.

Yes that's a lovely mess that Brexit has launched!! Some saw this coming. Some did not. Some will just get on with it regardless.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 49 of 102 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Hedge-fund wrote:
Sat 12 Jun 2021 10:19 pm
jofra wrote:
Sat 12 Jun 2021 9:59 pm
Crossing point questions

Couldn't agree more but the same poster keeps knocking my country and worshipping the eu on this forum. As long as he is allowed to...then challenges have to be allowed.

If all brexit references are moved to the politics section I think that would be fair and welcomed. Any threads that the poster tries to move towards anti UK/Brexit and pro eu should be moved too.

A cancer on this forum.
knocking "your" country!! worshipping the EU?? hardly … simply supporting a peaceful and beneficial Union amongst friends and trading partners whilst maintaining and supporting my Country that happens to be yours also.

I detect your clear dislike of any debate that is against your somewhat blinkered view, your apparent dislike of anything EU is astounding given that you may have chosen to leave the UK for a "better " life.

Given the popularity of the debate. ( look at the views) It makes little sense to move the topic to the sidelines. Unless of course the matter is best swept under the carpet away from proper meaningful discussion.

The crossing of the green line is most certainly linked to the right of passage by UK citizens into the ROC. A very Brexit outcome.

UK citizens as non Europeans now have NO legal right of entry or transition through the ROC. The ROC will certainly capitalise on this in coming months and going forwards as a further opportunity to target and hinder the TRNC.
It is unlikely that visitors to the ROC only will be hindered. Only those UK aliens that are seen to be visiting and or supporting the TRNC.

That clearly answers , from a legal prospective, the initial post that seeks advice upon crossing the green line.

Essentially then. The ROC is within the EU. EU law prevails and this is the law that all must abide by. UK citizens are outside of the EU and therefore can be challenged and or refused entry as the ROC administration sees fit. The BRS or any UK official simply cannot advise or instruct you upon EU matters because they have NO jurisdiction or right. The risk is with you when you try to cross into or fly to the ROC.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 50 of 102 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Whether you voted for or against Brexit or you would like to stay in the EU or leave matters not a jot to this discussion. Fact remains the Greeks will make their own rules up as ever.

Until something positive is actually posted by someone who actually knows what the rules are in respect of whether the 90 days is being enforced all discussion/argument is pointless. It matters not why the Greeks or the EU are doing what they are doing.

I for one would like to be able to continue to read this thread in the hope that I may learn something in respect of the 90 day rule and not have to wade through the usual arguments. So that means I cannot ignore the thread in case there is something positive one way or the other but the other stuff really is hot air.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”