General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Crossing point questions

•   Message 51 of 102 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

Someone who has recently arrived was only given a 30 day visa not a 90 day one. I have no idea why.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 52 of 102 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Was that 30 days in the RoC or in the TRNC?
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Crossing point questionsbvg

•   Message 53 of 102 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

waddo wrote:
Sun 13 Jun 2021 8:52 am
Was that 30 days in the RoC or in the TRNC?
In the RoC as far as I know.

Butterflyaway
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 54 of 102 in Discussion

Post by Butterflyaway »

Apologies for returning to the subject heading, “Crossing Point Questions”

Prior to Br**it, many countries were classed by the ROC as third countries. USA, Russia and Israel to name but a few.

I understand that citizens of these countries were allowed to cross but were only allowed 90 days in 180 and staying in the North did not stop the “clock ticking”.

I also understand that they were allowed to use Ercan and still cross over. So they were not classed as arriving at an illegal port.

Now, UK citizens are being classed as third country nationals. So we should be treated the same as the Americans, etc? They, like everyone leaving the ROC heading North, never stopped at the ROC crossing point.

So, my question is why have the ROC crossing points (leaving to come North) had brand new kiosks installed that require people leaving the ROC side to stop and show their passports and negative PCR/Antigen tests? Is it just because of COVID? Why would they care if we are leaving?

Are they going to count a shopping day as one day out of 90 and allow us to keep spending in the South?

iancrumpy
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 55 of 102 in Discussion

Post by iancrumpy »

Brazen wrote:Someone who has recently arrived was only given a 30 day visa not a 90 day one. I have no idea why.
Waddo wrote:Was that 30 days in the RoC or in the TRNC?
Brazen wrote:In the RoC as far as I know.
You might want to check again with that someone, because if they're a UK tourist they're entitled to stay in the EU "for up to 90 days in any 180-day period."
https://www.gov.uk/visit-eu-switzerland ... chtenstein

Butterflyaway wrote:Many countries were classed by the ROC as third countries - USA, Russia and Israel to name but a few. I also understand that they were allowed to use Ercan and still cross over.
Yes, I would imagine the south-side authorities will agree to that for UK citizens, once they realise they're losing revenue ... in particular from fewer passengers using Larnaca .

And waz-24-7, it's a pity more people, particularly on this forum, didn't realise there were going to be consequences to pulling up the drawbridge, but hey ho, we do have to move on and make the best of it.

pingpong007
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 56 of 102 in Discussion

Post by pingpong007 »

So my experience is as follows
Crossed to the south via Metahan on Tuesday. No issues, 30 day tax/mot also insurance all good
Then today early went to south via Pila
The Lady south side was very informative. She had just received a text from up above which she shared with me and I will now share word for word with you.
"All. Please be advised that if officers are presented a with a 116 going north to stamp the back and endorse it with 'Departed via BK or PER'. This will be handy for UK nationals living permanently in the TCA's as they are not allowed to enter the SBA,s '90 days within 180 days' Reminder that time spent in the TCA's are not counted towards the 90 days"
I asked the lady saying that I had already travelled south before (Tuesday) so I believe I had already triggered my 90 day south visa, she could not answer that and she could not see me on her computer as having passed through on Tuesday. However I believe that if I now take, for arguments sake, the wife in the car through Pila crossing then she will be issued with a 116 and not recorded on the SBA computer
I'm sure others who make the crossing today and in future will shed more light on this development

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 57 of 102 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Pingpong007, Excellent post and many thanks for the information. Forgive the questions to follow – lol. A). What is a 116? B). What is a TCA?

The phrase “This will be handy for UK nationals living permanently in the TCA’s as they are not allowed to enter the SBA’s” I find a little confusing as the SBA’s are effectivley UK territory and the laws regarding entry to them are set in stone by the UN. In effect they are saying that UK nationals (I suppose living in the TRNC) living in the TCA’s are not allowed to enter their own country??? Strange but no arguments from me. Also interesting that the SBA computer system appears to NOT be connected to the RoC system regarding entry/exit.

I think – hope – that it all means that if I enter the RoC via Metahan and depart via Pyla then I have not left at all according to the RoC so at the end of 90 days I will be illegal – HOWEVER – as I will have a 116, stamped and endorsed to prove I did leave but the time I was away won’t count towards the 90 days in the RoC?

I guess it all depends on how you interpret the rules right now and how they will change to make it easier in the future but at present it seems that both sides, plus the SBA’s, are playing the game to try to help everyone.

The only bit of information I am lacking now is where to get my free antigen test from – lol.

pingpong007
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 58 of 102 in Discussion

Post by pingpong007 »

A 116 is a new form/ receipt that they gave me this morning whilst crossing from north to south
They also signed the back to say that I had left SBA territory (even though I was just entering the south??)
TCA’s I’m assuming ‘means Turkish Controlled area’s
As I said previously the lady in the main SBA kiosk looked on their computer and I wasn’t registered on their computer as having gone south earlier in the week
Furthermore there was also a printed form on display that stated 3 rd country nationals cannot now pass into SBA territory ( except Uk nationals)

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 59 of 102 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

pingpong007, Now that makes a lot more sense to my feeble brain indeed. The thing is that UK Nationals will always have right of passage to the SBA areas (where they butt up against the TRNC borders) because of the very fact that they are UK Nationals going onto UK soil. I always did wonder how the RoC would get around this and it appears that they are just ignoring it. To really stop UK Nationals from entering the RoC they would have to have check points on things like the motorways that run through the SBA areas.

However, it still means that I would have to go through Metahan to get my permission to drive paperwork so there will be no way around the 90 days in 180 rule either - clever. Many thanks for the TCA explanation - that makes two of us thinking the same thing at least.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 60 of 102 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

So, I can ask a friend to cross over at Metehan to purchase my car insurance for RoC and get tax/mot papers. Then fully loaded, I can then drive over to RoC via Beyermudu / SBA, enter RoC and not be on their system as "entered" RoC, then return to the TRNC via Beyermudu Turkish border. No 90 days in 180 registered.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 61 of 102 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Soner, now you have given the game away - lol. Only problem is finding a friend who looks like me on my UK driving license - no chance of that as even I don't fit that bill - lol. The car insurance is no problem but the tax/mot may pose a large problem - ho hum, more ways to do things I guess. Take care out there.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 62 of 102 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

waddo wrote:
Mon 14 Jun 2021 5:07 am
Soner, now you have given the game away - lol. Only problem is finding a friend who looks like me on my UK driving license - no chance of that as even I don't fit that bill - lol. The car insurance is no problem but the tax/mot may pose a large problem - ho hum, more ways to do things I guess. Take care out there.
So, the car owner has to be present to get tax/mot? Is that a definite? My car is insured on this side for any driver, so I could lend it to my cousin for the day.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 63 of 102 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Soner, now you mention it - I am not sure!! But they have always asked for my driving license in the past - UK not TRNC (Because all TRNC documents are forged you know) and because I am not Cypriot so I can't have a TRNC License (Must remember ours both run out this year - lol) and have to produce my illegal UK one. Maybe it is worth a try as nothing to lose and I have known people take hire cars across so they must have the same sort of problem.

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 64 of 102 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

Latest from the BRS:
Since the agreement to re-open the GREEN LINE crossings we have received various feedback highlighting issues of concern.

Some of these were –

Not being issued with a document from the RoC Ministry of Transport to allow a TRNC vehicle to be used in the South (various reasons),
Being asked to insure the vehicle THEN being given the document for the same period,
Travellers crossing at the SBA sites being issued with a piece of paper as a document to show they had entered the RoC,
Travellers arriving at Paphos Airport being told that their PCR test results were not recognised (Turkish/English) and
A registered TRNC taxi being turned back from the crossing.

It is important to understand that NONE of the people employed at the crossings had received ANY proper information as to what they should be doing but were just told that they were to open!

I strongly believe that this is the main reason for these inconsistencies. The current feedback certainly suggest this to be the case.

As far as the SBA crossings issuing '90-day visas' is concerned this is not enforceable. The SBA crossings do NOT have connectivity to any RoC Immigration systems and is apparently being done to show that those persons crossing have done so ‘within the current regulations' if they should be stopped. The number of days ‘used' is also not being recorded.

At the other crossings, the RoC Immigration officers can check passports and although they are not stamping them it is perceived that the information is being logged. This is not the case, as again the connectivity to their main systems is not yet in place.

However, it is known that these crossings will, at some time, be connected to the RoC Immigration systems and after that, things will change.

I have been in a conference call this afternoon with the British High Commission Consular team with whom I have been liaising in relation to these concerns and they have assured me that as and when the RoC change the regulations to fall in line with the EU rules, we will be informed.

They have reassured me that given the numbers of UK citizens using the crossings these anomalies represent a very small percentage, and they are hoping that as more officers are ‘brought up to speed' with the rules, which are for the time being at least the pre-Brexit regulations, these anomalies should not reoccur.

Please let us have your feedback if you have experienced any difficulties and we will pass it to the BHC.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 65 of 102 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Mollie the cat wrote:
Mon 14 Jun 2021 2:14 pm
Latest from the BRS:
Since the agreement to re-open the GREEN LINE crossings we have received various feedback highlighting issues of concern.

Some of these were –

Not being issued with a document from the RoC Ministry of Transport to allow a TRNC vehicle to be used in the South (various reasons),
Being asked to insure the vehicle THEN being given the document for the same period,
Travellers crossing at the SBA sites being issued with a piece of paper as a document to show they had entered the RoC,
Travellers arriving at Paphos Airport being told that their PCR test results were not recognised (Turkish/English) and
A registered TRNC taxi being turned back from the crossing.

It is important to understand that NONE of the people employed at the crossings had received ANY proper information as to what they should be doing but were just told that they were to open!

I strongly believe that this is the main reason for these inconsistencies. The current feedback certainly suggest this to be the case.

As far as the SBA crossings issuing '90-day visas' is concerned this is not enforceable. The SBA crossings do NOT have connectivity to any RoC Immigration systems and is apparently being done to show that those persons crossing have done so ‘within the current regulations' if they should be stopped. The number of days ‘used' is also not being recorded.

At the other crossings, the RoC Immigration officers can check passports and although they are not stamping them it is perceived that the information is being logged. This is not the case, as again the connectivity to their main systems is not yet in place.

However, it is known that these crossings will, at some time, be connected to the RoC Immigration systems and after that, things will change.

I have been in a conference call this afternoon with the British High Commission Consular team with whom I have been liaising in relation to these concerns and they have assured me that as and when the RoC change the regulations to fall in line with the EU rules, we will be informed.

They have reassured me that given the numbers of UK citizens using the crossings these anomalies represent a very small percentage, and they are hoping that as more officers are ‘brought up to speed' with the rules, which are for the time being at least the pre-Brexit regulations, these anomalies should not reoccur.

Please let us have your feedback if you have experienced any difficulties and we will pass it to the BHC.
Thank you for this information that could be very useful in the shorter term as pandemic issues reign over all.

As you very correctly indicate. The ROC will soon have digital tracking upon border crossings and point of entry. Data analysis and tracking will surely follow.

This is when I see an increase in risk of refusal to cross/enter, harassment and a general increased level concern.

I am afraid the BHC will have little clout against the legal position on non EU UK nationals wishing to use the ROC as a staging post to enter or indeed leave the TRNC.

Without doubt the UK has significantly reduced its influence within Europe and the " Cyprus Problem" is just one example where the UK is absent from the negotiating table and can only listen from behind the door.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 66 of 102 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

waz-24-7, the BHC have over the years become less effective and have less and less clout regarding RoC. I personally think they find us an irritant that they would rather go without.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 67 of 102 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Thanks to all for the invaluable information regarding crossing into the RoC from the TRNC and in particular, personal experiences of those UK citizens who hold TRNC residency and live here on a permanent basis.

They say that if nothing changes then it will stay the same, something I have found to be untrue when applied to Cyprus, where nothing changes yet things don’t always stay the same - lol.

For whatever reasons, I will attempt the crossing when my UK driving license reach’s me and I will post a soup to nuts on what happened. It will of course change before I can press return but that is Cyprus and everyone must learn to accept it.

Things that could make life easier for those crossing may be just minor, such as wearing a mask in the RoC - when/where and the legality of non compliance! Ledra St crossing point - are the “Officials” in the RoC still as belligerent as they were prior to the crossing points closure?

I realise not everyone will have had the same experiences, but as always, Prior knowledge Prevents Poor Performance and a smile often eases the passage! Now that the TRNC gov have given full instructions on how to obtain a free rapid test, that is one thing that everyone can share in, again a major step in the right direction.

It will be good to keep this thread open and updated where possible, without direct or oblique references to how UK citizens find themselves to be 3rd country nationals please. Stay safe and take care out there.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 68 of 102 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Soner wrote:
Mon 14 Jun 2021 5:50 am
waddo wrote:
So, the car owner has to be present to get tax/mot? Is that a definite? My car is insured on this side for any driver, so I could lend it to my cousin for the day.
For info my wife was able to renew the RoC car tax yesterday. The car is registered in my name and I am recognised as Cypriot by the RoC. It appears there are two different guys who work this desk and one is reasonable and the others is not. Initially the 'non reasonable' guy would only give a one month road tax. My wife then queued up for the other guy and explained this is a Cypriot car , registered in the name of a Cypriot, that the RoC recognise as Cypriot and thus why only one month ? He threw away the one month tax paper and gave her an year one.

Anyway get the right person on the right day and you can have the roc car tax renewed by someone other than the registered owner, just take ID for that owner.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 69 of 102 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

erol wrote:
Wed 16 Jun 2021 7:26 am
Soner wrote:
waddo wrote:
For info my wife was able to renew the RoC car tax yesterday. The car is registered in my name and I am recognised as Cypriot by the RoC. It appears there are two different guys who work this desk and one is reasonable and the others is not. Initially the 'non reasonable' guy would only give a one month road tax. My wife then queued up for the other guy and explained this is a Cypriot car , registered in the name of a Cypriot, that the RoC recognise as Cypriot and thus why only one month ? He threw away the one month tax paper and gave her an year one.

Anyway get the right person on the right day and you can have the roc car tax renewed by someone other than the registered owner, just take ID for that owner.
Erol, thanks for that. My TRNC ID states that I was born in London. The last time I tried to cross into RoC with that they had refused me. Does your TRNC ID state that you were born in UK?

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 70 of 102 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Soner wrote:
Wed 16 Jun 2021 8:08 am
erol wrote:
Soner wrote:

Erol, thanks for that. My TRNC ID states that I was born in London. The last time I tried to cross into RoC with that they had refused me. Does your TRNC ID state that you were born in UK?
It does state I was born in UK but on their computer screens it shows I am 'Cypriot' by their assessment as well. When the crossing first opened up I had to show my fathers old UK passport to RoC at crossing point as proof that he was born in Cyprus, thus making me Cypriot in their view. From that point I have been able to cross using just my trnc kimlik card. Somewhere on their systems it is marked that this trnc kimlik belongs to a 'Cypriot' and not a 'settler' under their judgment.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 71 of 102 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

erol wrote:
Wed 16 Jun 2021 8:13 am
Soner wrote:
Wed 16 Jun 2021 8:08 am
erol wrote:

It does state I was born in UK but on their computer screens it shows I am 'Cypriot' by their assessment as well. When the crossing first opened up I had to show my fathers old UK passport to RoC at crossing point as proof that he was born in Cyprus, thus making me Cypriot in their view. From that point I have been able to cross using just my trnc kimlik card. Somewhere on their systems it is marked that this trnc kimlik belongs to a 'Cypriot' and not a 'settler' under their judgment.
Thanks Erol. I can do that, I have his old passport. :+1:)

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 72 of 102 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Soner/Erol, would that mean that you could also get an EU passport as well - solves lots of problems that would I imagine? Then you would have the best of all worlds and good for you guys!

My TC buddy sent me a PDF copy of the 4th June announcement from the TRNC Gov, I will list all the points but needs a 7 day PCR/Antigen test for all: This means that the following categories of persons will be able to cross the
checkpoints:
1. All Cypriot citizens (Greek Cypriots and Turkish Cypriots) and their
family members
2. All EU citizens and their family members who are not EU nationals,
provided that they are accompanied by the EU citizen
3. UK citizens and their family members who possess residence permits
issued by the Republic of Cyprus
4. Third Country Nationals who possess residence permits issued by the
Republic of Cyprus
5. Third Country Nationals holders of a Cyprus visa (90-days stay)
6. Third Country Nationals who are exempt from the obligation of
possessing a visa (90-days stay). This category includes UK nationals
without a residence permit
7. Third country nationals who possess residence permits issued by
another EU member state (90-days stay)
8. Third Country nationals who possess double or multiple Schengen visa
(90-days stay)
9. All minors over 12 years old will need to present a Rapid or a PCR test
with a negative result.

May be helpful for some people I hope.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 73 of 102 in Discussion

Post by erol »

waddo wrote:
Wed 16 Jun 2021 9:01 am
Soner/Erol, would that mean that you could also get an EU passport as well - solves lots of problems that would I imagine? Then you would have the best of all worlds and good for you guys!
Yes in law and in theory we are both entitled to a RoC passport. Actually getting one, especially with only a single Cypriot parent, is another thing. I do intend to get round to this but what with covid and all its been somewhat delayed.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 74 of 102 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

erol wrote:
Wed 16 Jun 2021 9:05 am
waddo wrote:
Wed 16 Jun 2021 9:01 am
Yes in law and in theory we are both entitled to a RoC passport. Actually getting one, especially with only a single Cypriot parent, is another thing. I do intend to get round to this but what with covid and all its been somewhat delayed.
Applied 2 years ago, still in progress....I think.

iancrumpy
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 75 of 102 in Discussion

Post by iancrumpy »

Soner wrote:My TRNC ID states that I was born in London. The last time I tried to cross into RoC with that they had refused me. Does your TRNC ID state that you were born in UK?
Erol wrote:It does state I was born in UK but on their computer screens it shows I am 'Cypriot' by their assessment as well. When the crossing first opened up I had to show my fathers old UK passport to RoC at crossing point as proof that he was born in Cyprus, thus making me Cypriot in their view. From that point I have been able to cross using just my trnc kimlik card. Somewhere on their systems it is marked that this trnc kimlik belongs to a 'Cypriot' and not a 'settler' under their judgment.
I have a similarish problem ... I am married to a Turkish Cypriot and so I also have TRNC citizenship. With my wife accompanying me, I did once try to use my kimlik card to cross into the south, but the GC police asked if I was British and with me replying "yes", asked for my UK passport .... which I also had with me at the time - Obviously I wasn't registered as "Cypriot" on their records and we presumed (and hope) that their reluctance to accept my card was because I had my British passport and because there was a queue of people behind us.

Since then, whenever we've crossed into the south (which to be honest is not that often) I have just shown my British passport. However, with the UK no longer an EU country, it might be useful for me now to make use of my TRNC citizenship.

An added complication is that my wife's kimlik card, as with Soner's and Erol's, shows the UK as her place of birth. But, as with Erol's father, my wife's father has a British passport that shows Cyprus as his place of birth.

My wife and are now thinking (after of course getting a PCR) of trying to use my TRNC ID once more at the less-busy Ledra Palace crossing. Together with both our kimlik cards and a photocopy of my Father-in-law's passport, we would also present our marriage certificate ... but that might be an issue ... as we were married in the north.

There must be at least a few members on this forum, who now have TRNC citizenship through marriage ... but were married in the north. And I would appreciate their input on this matter.

Of course I realise that my application may well depend on how reasonable the person in the hut is.

As for the EU passport, I'm certainly not going to hold my breath for that.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 76 of 102 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Reading all of the above (which gave me a bit of a headache trying to understand the ramifications) , I am quite pleased that we are both boringly normal!!!

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 77 of 102 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

I'm still confused! So nothing is still clear to me if 90 in 180 days starts rolling. We wanted to go via Metehan to go south and return same day. Think I'll give up.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 78 of 102 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

forestpixie, you and me both! We were only going for a change of scene, nothing special really.

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 79 of 102 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

I wanted to go to the pet shop, ones here are useless hey ho

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 80 of 102 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Sounds all very simple a bit like;

https://youtu.be/pXw7LYWNi5E

iancrumpy
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 81 of 102 in Discussion

Post by iancrumpy »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Wed 16 Jun 2021 3:50 pm
Sounds all very simple a bit like; https://youtu.be/pXw7LYWNi5E
Yep, don't we all just love John Cleese.

However, I would be very grateful for any input on what I wrote about in message 75 (please see above). I would particularly like to hear from members, who, like myself, have dual nationality (TC by marriage) AND (unlike myself) have managed to be recognized as "Cypriot" by the south-side authorities.

I should add that they accept my wife as a Cypriot, because both her parents were born in Cyprus. So yes, I should also be accepted, but ...

My wife and I are planning on visiting the less busy Ledra Palace crossing on Friday with our kimliks and marriage certificate in hand. Maybe someone with experience of all this can answer this : Seeing as we were married in the "illegally occuped" north, should we get the marriage certificate authenticated/verified/whatever by, say, the BHC?

Maybe I should start another thread as I need really to ask members who are as I described in the 2nd paragraph ...

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 82 of 102 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

iancrumpy wrote:
Wed 16 Jun 2021 5:51 pm

However, I would be very grateful for any input on what I wrote about in message 75
Not really something I know much about. I would point out though that even if something is enshrined very clearly in law you do still seem to be at the mercy of the particular person you are dealing with at the time’s interpretation of the rules.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 83 of 102 in Discussion

Post by erol »

iancrumpy wrote:
Wed 16 Jun 2021 5:51 pm
My wife and I are planning on visiting the less busy Ledra Palace crossing on Friday with our kimliks and marriage certificate in hand. Maybe someone with experience of all this can answer this : Seeing as we were married in the "illegally occuped" north, should we get the marriage certificate authenticated/verified/whatever by, say, the BHC?

Maybe I should start another thread as I need really to ask members who are as I described in the 2nd paragraph ...
I am in same boat and we have same intentions but my wife does not yet have her trnc kimlik. We are currently waiting on police to do their bit. We hope that when she does the RoC will recognise it as far as crossing north to south. For full RoC citizenship via marriage to a Cypriot there is a requirement for a period of continuous residency in Cyprus first and currently I do not think they accept residency in the North as counting, so for my wife to qualify for that we probably have to live in south for 5 years first. Unless / until that gets challenged in court / echr. However there is the hope that as far as for crossing they will accept her as 'Cypriot' and thus accept her kimlik. Like they accepted me and my Kimlik for crossing without me having to obtain a RoC ID, once I proved my father was born in Cyprus and not Turkey.

So am very very interested in hearing your experience Ian. Please do let me know how it goes on Friday.

iancrumpy
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 84 of 102 in Discussion

Post by iancrumpy »

erol wrote:
Wed 16 Jun 2021 7:28 pm
As far as for crossing they will accept her as 'Cypriot' and thus accept her kimlik.
That's all we want Erol.
erol wrote:
Wed 16 Jun 2021 7:28 pm
So am very very interested in hearing your experience Ian. Please do let me know how it goes on Friday.
Will do.

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 85 of 102 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

I have crossed over at Beyarmudu in the past with a British couple who both have kimlik cards (long story), and they had no problem whatsoever.

faro
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 86 of 102 in Discussion

Post by faro »

Hi. Went to the South today. All paperwork checked at north side. Waved through at South side check point. 1 months insurance and 1 year mot thingy. Coming back through South side had to go go to police booth. Checked paperwork & passport. Guy said have a nice day. Again all paperwork checked at north side, guy said thank you and have a nice day
But do not know if we were given 90 days or not. But very busy in and out. So did not want to ask the guy in the South about visas, as he looked a bit stressed. B.

iancrumpy
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 87 of 102 in Discussion

Post by iancrumpy »

frontalman wrote:
Fri 18 Jun 2021 3:53 pm
I have crossed over at Beyarmudu in the past with a British couple who both have kimlik cards (long story), and they had no problem whatsoever.
Thanks for that Frontalman.

As Erol stated in message 70, the south-side authorities do not class all TRNC citizen as "Cypriots" - For a TC to be accepted as "Cypriot", at least one of the parents needs to have been born in Cyprus (My TC wife actually says both parents, but we are not sure on that.) Being married to a south-side-accepted "Cypriot" should entitle me to also being accepted as "Cypriot".

Probably between 30 and 40% of TRNC citizens are not accepted by the south-side as "Cypriot" - They are regarded as "settlers" and so are not allowed to cross into the south.

As also stated by Erol, but in message 83, there are two levels of RoC citizenship ... but, at least for the time being, this first level would suffice for my wife and I.

As to what happened that day at Beyarmudu, we might get an idea by reading messages 59 and 60 from Waddo and Soner - ie. there would seem to be a few communication difficulties between the SBA police and the south-side authorities. Or maybe the main factor in all this is the mood of the person working in the hut on that day.

Saddique
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 88 of 102 in Discussion

Post by Saddique »

Question......Has anyone on here arrived via Larnaca then into the TRNC before 31st Dec 2020 and then has recently crossed the border back to the south again ? Grateful to hear your experiences.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 89 of 102 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

Saddique wrote:
Fri 18 Jun 2021 7:35 pm
Question......Has anyone on here arrived via Larnaca then into the TRNC before 31st Dec 2020 and then has recently crossed the border back to the south again ? Grateful to hear your experiences.
Would like to know this too.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 90 of 102 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

There will be without doubt numerous and varied experiences of border crossings, ROC arrivals and onward conveyances to the North.
The numerous experiences is in part because "this is Cyprus" and there is very often a higher level of unknown, guesswork and luck involved.

There is certainly no hard written legislation upon the issues . Each experience is unlikely like the rest.
The Legal position for Ex pats is that there is no right of entry or passage through the ROC. Visa is a legal requirement and the duration of same is up to the ROC.

Will I take my chances on flying to Larnaca as I used to. I'm undecided as I do not fancy the Turkey Ercan route one bit.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 91 of 102 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

Issue being: Will the RoC Fine/Deport/Withhold/Ban people that have overstayed their 90 days, even though they were unable to travel due to Covid and its lockdowns? Any real information out there?

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 92 of 102 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Soner wrote:
Mon 21 Jun 2021 4:17 pm
Issue being: Will the RoC Fine/Deport/Withhold/Ban people that have overstayed their 90 days, even though they were unable to travel due to Covid and its lockdowns? Any real information out there?
I think it unlikely any penalties linked to the pandemic will be enforced. It would not be ethical and the PR damage could lead to loss of face.
It is post Covid that is and should be of concern.
Certainly the unknowns linked to Covid are offering up additional complications and its a mixture of possibilities as I have already said.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 93 of 102 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

At the moment there are a number of posts on the forum about arriving via Larnaca, crossing the border either on arrival or just for a day trip. Lots of information posted.

Overall it appears that providing you have the correct paperwork and tests it seems that the majority are crossing freely and with little hassle.

When reading the date of posts it does seem that things have eased in recent days and are not as difficult as they might have been.

Of course we all know that things can change!
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

Saddique
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 94 of 102 in Discussion

Post by Saddique »

Thanks Waz 27 - 7 for your insight......it is True lots of experiences on this forum of people coming North via Larnaca but not the other way round hence the question

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 95 of 102 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Saddique wrote:
Mon 21 Jun 2021 9:01 pm
Thanks Waz 27 - 7 for your insight......it is True lots of experiences on this forum of people coming North via Larnaca but not the other way round hence the question
I guess you may be a UK national. So
Going South into the ROC from TRNC presents similar but different possibilities.
The ROC considers all of Cyprus as part of the Republic. The North is deemed "occupied territory".

If you have entered via Turkey and then wish to transit across the Green line then it is possible that you will be challenged over : port of entry, permission to enter and visa entitlement.
If you entered via Larnaca and have been awarded a visa then at least you have been awarded permissions. If however you are challenged upon your business within "occupied territory" then you may possibly be challenged upon your visa conditions. The ROC now have the upper hand against the non European UK citizen and can, if they want, be rather pedantic and problematic.
Similarly if you reside in the TRNC then there is again an element of risk simply because of your alien status,

Geoff1131
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 96 of 102 in Discussion

Post by Geoff1131 »

Still banging the ' fear drum ' Waz?? It makes little difference to the ROC side if UK citizens are inside or outside the EU, as to how they will be treated. The Orams being a case in point . There have been many reports over the years of UK citizens being harassed by the authorities in the south. This even though the UK was still a part of the EU and Cyprus as a whole was considered a part of the EU.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 97 of 102 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Geoff1131 wrote:
Tue 22 Jun 2021 5:06 am
Still banging the ' fear drum ' Waz?? It makes little difference to the ROC side if UK citizens are inside or outside the EU, as to how they will be treated. The Orams being a case in point . There have been many reports over the years of UK citizens being harassed by the authorities in the south. This even though the UK was still a part of the EU and Cyprus as a whole was considered a part of the EU.
There is no fear drum. There is however a quite clear legal position and some opinion.

Some posters clearly seek advice and guidance upon potential issues on crossing the green line.

The fact is that sine the UK has left the EU. Many rights of UK citizens have been forfeited.

If you wish to air an opinion that there is absolutely no change to UK pre Brexit rights and privileges then please go right ahead.
I think that view is wrong and will mislead many.

I do agree that the harassment by ROC authorities has been omnipresent for many years. We have however just awarded the same authorities additional weaponry and bullets.

Geoff1131
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 98 of 102 in Discussion

Post by Geoff1131 »

Waz, i never claimed that there would be no change to how things operate since the UK parted company with the EU. And i am sure that the government in the ROC will do all they can to make these changes harder on UK citizens to access and visit their country. Until that is, they realise that it could affect their income from such people, and that is when changes will happen. I live in TRNC permanently and it would not bother me one bit, to leave and re enter the country through Ercan. But i accept that for some it is better to travel through Larnaca. And up to now , it looks like that is still a real option. The only downside is the 90 day rule. But if anyone wants to visit the TRNC for more than 90 days they also face problems, so it's a case of swings and roundabouts.

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 99 of 102 in Discussion

Post by Hedge-fund »

Happy Independence Day to one and all.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 100 of 102 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Geoff1131 wrote:
Wed 23 Jun 2021 6:57 am
Waz, i never claimed that there would be no change to how things operate since the UK parted company with the EU. And i am sure that the government in the ROC will do all they can to make these changes harder on UK citizens to access and visit their country. Until that is, they realise that it could affect their income from such people, and that is when changes will happen. I live in TRNC permanently and it would not bother me one bit, to leave and re enter the country through Ercan. But i accept that for some it is better to travel through Larnaca. And up to now , it looks like that is still a real option. The only downside is the 90 day rule. But if anyone wants to visit the TRNC for more than 90 days they also face problems, so it's a case of swings and roundabouts.
Indeed. I don't argue with that.
Certainly for many years my preferred entry has been Larnaca and then taxi across the Green line. It was very easy from my UK home.

I like many will monitor the new risks and threat from the ROC administration and then make some decisions and choices.

I'm afraid I will not be celebrating the "independence day" that a certain lone soldier is.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”